SIG Talk banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Hey HG. Have you seen these Fab Defense shock absorbing stocks?

I'm going to try one out on my .308.

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Hey HG. Have you seen these Fab Defense shock absorbing stocks?

I'm going to try one out on my .308.

Looks nice! Thanks. I'm a big fan of FAB Defense. I have one of their stocks on my 10/22 and love it. Post some pics and a review when you get it. I'm tricking out the Rock River AR-15 that I bought my son the same day, so it may be a few weeks for me. It looks really nice, and by experience, bet it's well made.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I ordered it from Grab-A-Gun, they had a decent price, and in stock.
I'll post some pics and will give an opinion once I can shoot with it.

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I ordered it from Grab-A-Gun, they had a decent price, and in stock.
I'll post some pics and will give an opinion once I can shoot with it.

Wow. I didn't know he had any distributors. I knew he'd opened a facility in FL(?). I've always had to wait on shipping from Israel. Good information. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I like their stuff too. The Israelis know weapons. :)
I am curious about the Fab Defense stock also. I have a Gen 1 DPMS AP4 308 that still has the POS rattle trap factory stock on it. Those DPMS had commercial tubes, so I never got around to changing it. Have a box of Milspec stocks, but no extra Commercials. The Fab says it can fit either, so that makes it attractive to me. Let us know how you like it.

Reactions: Harry_Gorilla

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Looks nice! Thanks. I'm a big fan of FAB Defense. I have one of their stocks on my 10/22 and love it. Post some pics and a review when you get it. I'm tricking out the Rock River AR-15 that I bought my son the same day, so it may be a few weeks for me. It looks really nice, and by experience, bet it's well made.

Thanks!
Hey HG. I received the GL Shock butt stock this morning. I mounted it on my Sig 716i, loaded five rounds of .308. I was at home, went out towards the woods and shot a large stump that I know can't be passed through. The sharp impact from the .308 is reduced, but you of course still have a recoil. Since I wasn't shooting at anything precisely, I don't know yet if the slight movement of the rifle into the stock will be something that you have to get used to or not.

At first I thought I felt the rifle move a lot, but after the first two or three rounds, it's up in the air if I really felt it move. The sharp impact isn't there, meaning the solid thump, you still have recoil. I'll have to shoot a lot more through it to see if it's something I want to keep on there.

The pad slips off after releasing a catch, then you have a storage cavity large enough for a couple of batteries, or what ever you can fit in there. The little plug that closes the cavity has an o-ring, so it should be water or dust free.

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Very nice! I'm interested in hearing more. My recoil pad arrived mid-week, but I'm down with a nasty cold. Surprised they didn't try to lump me in with the Wuhan delight. I'm not sure this pad is going to take much of the edge off. It was livable before, but would be nice to be able to go through a hundred rounds without wincing. I like the look of yours. It's hard to tell if it has a lower profile.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Very nice! I'm interested in hearing more. My recoil pad arrived mid-week, but I'm down with a nasty cold. Surprised they didn't try to lump me in with the Wuhan delight. I'm not sure this pad is going to take much of the edge off. It was livable before, but would be nice to be able to go through a hundred rounds without wincing. I like the look of yours. It's hard to tell if it has a lower profile.

Thanks!
If this helps with the profile question, it takes almost the exact same area that the MagPul MOE® SL-S™ uses and that SIG used on the 716i.

Yeah more rounds are in order.

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
If this helps with the profile question, it takes almost the exact same area that the MagPul MOE® SL-S™ uses and that SIG used on the 716i.

Yeah more rounds are in order.

Mine came with the Magpul STR stock. It has battery storage, as well. Probably a small child. I'll have to research.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I also ordered in afterthought the Fab Defense adjustable cheek rest. I won't see that until the end of this coming week.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
if you want to manage recoil on a 7,62 gas gun, you want to be pulling straight back with your claspers with at least 10lbs of pull, and don't grab the grip with your thumb. just pull straight back with those 3 fingers.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
just remember that driving a gas gun is very different than running a bolt action, and takes more to stay on target because of all the moving parts. bolt guns are very simple and when you pull the trigger, most of your work is done.
gas guns have more going on with the bcg going back, grabbing a round and going back into battery.
you want a firm hold. don't steer the rifle with the grip. pull straight back i use a thumb rest to make sure my thumb isn't involved at all.
and hold your trigger back through the shot. don't reset until you see your target after the shot.
don't pull the trigger and let go because you aren't done.
if you practice this "follow through" for each shot, you will get better at being able to see your shots and follow up quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
The best way to manager recoil is have a foregrip on the rifle. You pull back into your chest with the right hand on the pistol grip if a right hand shooter. The left hand you push away from your body on the foregrip. That helps cancel some of the recoil. But even at that, a .308 or a 12ga. shot all afternoon still puts some force against the chest.

This can also makes your arms tired because your tensed up while shooting. That's why I'm trying out the Fab Defense recoil stock.

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)
The best way to manager recoil is have a foregrip on the rifle. You pull back into your chest with the right hand on the pistol grip if a right hand shooter. The left hand you push away from your body on the foregrip. That helps cancel some of the recoil. But even at that, a .308 or a 12ga. shot all afternoon still puts some force against the chest.

This can also makes your arms tired because your tensed up while shooting. That's why I'm trying out the Fab Defense recoil stock.

just remember that driving a gas gun is very different than running a bolt action, and takes more to stay on target because of all the moving parts. bolt guns are very simple and when you pull the trigger, most of your work is done.
gas guns have more going on with the bcg going back, grabbing a round and going back into battery.
you want a firm hold. don't steer the rifle with the grip. pull straight back i use a thumb rest to make sure my thumb isn't involved at all.
and hold your trigger back through the shot. don't reset until you see your target after the shot.
don't pull the trigger and let go because you aren't done.
if you practice this "follow through" for each shot, you will get better at being able to see your shots and follow up quickly.
Both good points. I guess I'm going to have to go ahead and order one to find out. I'll be back from NYC on Friday. Should be here by then.

EDIT 3-5 days to ship? Guess I'll be waiting.

Now, stop it! I have SIG's to feed!

Reactions: decula

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Ok, I shot four magazines, so 80 rounds of .308 through the 716i today with the Fab Defense GL Shock stock. You definitely feel the rifle "compress" into the stock, I don't know, maybe 1/4" I'm guessing. But after you shoot a bit, it just feels normal, meaning "hey", this rifle is supposed to do this. Then you actually don't notice it once your mind knows it should be doing that.

As far as how my shoulder / chest feels, actually I have to say it does make a difference. I felt less "beat" on to phrase it. The rifle still recoils, the initial kick is less, and the rifle barrel does stay more level, it rises less. I was free standing and not using the bipod.

I'll keep it on, I like it. I don't think I'd use it on any of my 5.56 NATO rifles as they don't kick all that hard. Same with 7.62x39, its manageable to me.

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I got a notice from GaG last night that it shipped. 3-5 days. Hopefully it will be there when I get home Friday. I'll try to get it installed this weekend and get to the range.

Thanks for the excellent review. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I need to tighten the purse strings, now!

81 - 100 of 101 Posts