SIG Talk banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
One of the indoor ranges I frequent has three separated rooms, and they use them for several things. This way they can have a class in one, and the other two are open to the public. They also will fill one room last, unless you have a large caliber rifle, then they send you there. But when the range is full, people just have to realize not everyone shoots 9mm every day. They have a total of 24 lanes, room 1 (12 lanes), room 2 (6 lanes), room 3 (6 lanes).

I don't care what the next guy is shooting, after all it's an open to the public range. I guess I'm just used to being around when many people are shooting. It doesn't bother me, I use good hearing protection.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I don't care what the next guy is shooting, after all it's an open to the public range. I guess I'm just used to being around when many people are shooting. It doesn't bother me, I use good hearing protection.
While it's nice that it doesn't bother you, hearing protection doesn't really do anything about concussion. Concussive waves (like from an SBR) bouncing off your face and head just aren't mitigated by even the best earpro. They are made worse by the flat concrete surfaces a lot of indoor ranges seem to prefer (for easy cleaning). It's also much worse for folks to the sides rather than the person behind the SBR.

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
In my case with the M1A SOCOM, I was in the last stall by the wall. I seriously thought a grenade or something went off right on my counter.

Forward blast diverters/blast cans help a lot and there are some that can be incorporated with a variety of existing muzzle devices if they're not pinned/welded on. All my shorter AR's are either suppressed or have a forward-device permanently on the muzzle, not just for range use but in general if I ever have to use them because it still helps with the concussion in close. And even though they do not help tame recoil/lift like a muzzle brake or compensator, it's pretty negligible in 5.56/.223 anyway.

For an AR-10, I'd definitely want a brake or comp of some kind, but then I'd also want to incorporate that with a a suppressor and diverter for the range, so I'd look into that as a whole system....Surefire, Griffen, Dead Air, whoever. Tough because putting the can on negates the effects of the brake, but at least for sighting in and checking function at the range, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
While it's nice that it doesn't bother you, hearing protection doesn't really do anything about concussion. Concussive waves (like from an SBR) bouncing off your face and head just aren't mitigated by even the best earpro. They are made worse by the flat concrete surfaces a lot of indoor ranges seem to prefer (for easy cleaning). It's also much worse for folks to the sides rather than the person behind the SBR.
Yep, there is concussion. But that's part of being at a public range. It doesn't bother me because I expect it, and am used to it. I don't like bars, but I do like a drink now and again. I don't like how people act at bars. So I don't go there as it's open to the public. See what I mean?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Very nice acquisition.

I have had this Armalite AR-10 A4 with a Burris XTR 4X-12X-50 scope for about fifteen years.

I added a stainless loaded Springfield Armory M1A last year.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Harry
Why just a red dot and 3x on that rig?

I've had a 1x8 on mine for a couple of years and really wish I had of went with more magnification to start with.
I've been looking at the Primary Arms 4x14 scope as a replacement. It's in my price range and has been getting good reviews.

As to muzzle thingies..
I'm not a fan of brakes AKA noise makers.

I do run a Precision Armament EFAB on mine that does a good job of recoil control without excessive blast and low flash.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Harry

I've had a 1x8 on mine for a couple of years and really wish I had of went with more magnification to start with.
I've been looking at the Primary Arms 4x14 scope as a replacement. It's in my price range and has been getting good reviews.

As to muzzle thingies..

I do run a Precision Armament EFAB on mine that does a good job of recoil control without excessive blast and low flash.
That is wicked...!

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Harry

As to muzzle thingies..

As I said earlier; I'm not a great marksman. I do well at 200, and even fair at 300 yards. I bought it primarily for plinking. If I decide to go long distance; I'll pick a suitable bolt action.

Cool video, but his motives concern me, since I noted that he has Gorilla Ammunition.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Very nice acquisition.

I have had this Armalite AR-10 A4 with a Burris XTR 4X-12X-50 scope for about fifteen years.

View attachment 398414

I added a stainless loaded Springfield Armory M1A last year.

View attachment 398415
How do you like that Burris? I sold the scope off of my RRA 308 last year, and have a friend that has that Burris (NIB) that he wants to sell me.

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Went back out today. My son got off work a few hours early, so he got to give it a whirl. I'm surprised that I wasn't sore. My right jaw was tender after 1oo rounds, but not for long. We focused on the 200 and 300 yard silhouettes. We both did surprisingly well. Can't wait to get the 3x magnifier. I think I have a keeper! :LOL: Everyone has their preference, and there are probably higher quality ones; but I can't say enough good about Palmetto. So far; there's not a single thing that I don't like about this gun.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Great Score, Harry - Recoil isn't bad, but can rattle your teeth! - I have a PSA PA10 the same as yours (with a 3½# CMC trigger). In one range session a couple of years ago I went thru about 100 rounds of Prvi Partizan 165 Grain when .308 didn't cost an arm and a leg - my shoulder reminded me about it the next day! ;)

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts

Reactions: Harry_Gorilla

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·

Ordered this last night.

Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad, 0.70"

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
Those limbsavers make a difference. I have the one you ordered for a couple AR's, more for length of pull than recoil padding. If you're looking for one for a regular MOE/CTR Magpul, this one....

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Those lifesavers make a difference. I have the one you ordered for a couple AR's, more for length of pull than recoil padding. If you're looking for one for a regular MOE/CTR Magpul, this one....

I don't see it on their site. I'll have to give them a call in the morning. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
Reactions: Harry_Gorilla

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good looking setup there. I would definitely recommend a scope as others have said. Maybe just not as overbuilt and expensive as my Steiner P4Xi lol. I’m very happy with Leupold as they are American built and have a wide price range. But you did mention it’s just a plinker so you use whatever makes you happy. That’s all that really matters! I plan on getting an offset RMR for my LaRue UUK w/matching lower (I call it my M52 VPR cuz it sounds way cooler and unique lol). I’d like to have the option of fast or precise engagement. Happy shooting!

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Kinda funny about plinking now days.
I built an AR9 and AR15 for plinking and such.
Same with pistols, no 9mm for years and then got a few as .45 was getting expensive.

Now I just get .40, 45 and .308 as it's not much more than 9mm or 5.56 and plink with that.
And I can usually find .45 and .308 easier than 9mm or 5.56.

I found that I can't hit chit without magnification and quite a bit more than I thought I would need.
At one time I had no problem hitting milk jugs at 200 yds with open sights.
I got out of shooting rifles for several years and when I got back into it I had went to bi-focals and even corrected I was having trouble finding the target at 100 yds.
Just got a 20-60x60 spotting scope to help out seeing hits as well. Has a handy dandy cell phone adapter to mount and view the image that's pretty nifty.

Gotta love a .308

·
Registered
124 Posts
How do you like that Burris? I sold the scope off of my RRA 308 last year, and have a friend that has that Burris (NIB) that he wants to sell me.
It has been great for me. I would buy another one.

Reactions: TerminalSigness
61 - 80 of 122 Posts