SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
I've likely lost my mind. Been looking to add an AR-10 for several years. With the current funny-world situation; I figured I better bite. Incar was an accomplice. Shout out to him for finding me a sweet deal on a Palmetto State Armory rig. Also steered me to the Vortex SPARC AR red dot. I highly recommend. I have a 3x monocular on order for it. Also added a Caldwell bipod, and Magpul front vertical grip. I won 600 rounds of 7.62 / .308 ammo on GB for a fairly reasonable price. A Savior range bag also added to keep things tidy.

I got it all squared away today, and headed to the range in a light rain. The Vortex sight is awesome. At 50 yards; I had it dialed in to very good paper with 6 shots. Put 20 rounds downrange to verify. Moved to the 100 and 200 yard ranges. As it stands now; this is the most accurate that I've ever shot. That's saying a lot for a mediocre shooter. Best I ever had was a Steyer SSG in the mid-80's. It was bolt action, but insanely accurate. Sent another 80 rounds downrange on the 100 and 200 yard ranges. I couldn't miss. The rain picked up near the end, so I didn't feel like walking back and forth too much.

I'd forgotten how powerful a round that .308 is! It was exhilarating, but betting good money that I'm going to be sore later. A few pics:

View attachment 398298 View attachment 398299 View attachment 398300 View attachment 398301
Congrats ! I have a DPMS AR10 with a floating handguard and a Harris Bi-pod an a Vortex AR 320 Scope..

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Yea, I tried Geissele to see what all the hype was about. Dollars later and all my AR's have them. To include my 516 and 716. Thats when I was reminded how 7.62 has a little bite to it. Not just in the wallet

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Just hope you're nice enough to give others at the range a heads-up if you put a muzzle brake on it.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,304 Posts
Looks great. Congrats.

Reactions: Harry_Gorilla

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Congrats HG - shooting 308 is additive!! Looks like a great setup for hours of range fun. Gotta luv 308's manly report and shoulder hug. Am seeing more 762 ammo available too. Heck, one day the pricing may re-enter earth's atmosphere.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Man, if I lived in a state where I went out hog hunting, I've have at least a few of these by now.

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just hope you're nice enough to give others at the range a heads-up if you put a muzzle brake on it.
As of the current ammo prices; I'm often the only one there. Although; today, some knucklehead left the main gate and the gate to the rifle range completely unsecure. I'll have strong words at the meeting this Tuesday evening! When there's more than one; we're generally courteous to one another.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Congrats. Gotta love the.308 cartridge. There is so much you can do with it. I have shot it for a looong time. I don’t have it in an AR platform….yet. (I suppose I should move on that!).

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
As of the current ammo prices; I'm often the only one there. Although; today, some knucklehead left the main gate and the gate to the rifle range completely unsecure. I'll have strong words at the meeting this Tuesday evening! When there's more than one; we're generally courteous to one another.
I have been at an indoor range when unbeknownst to me, someone took the next booth with with a Springfield M1A SOCOM....308 with 16" barrel and a muzzle brake. When he fired, I thought there was an explosion with my stuff or something, and I started checking my vital areas. Then looked over and realized what it was.

·
Registered
22,078 Posts
I only have one PSA, even though I’ve come close to buying PSA AKE a couple times. ...
I've been trying to buy a PSA AKE for two damned years and they are never in stock. I'm on the notify list. Crickets. I don't even care anymore.

·
Registered
22,078 Posts
I've likely lost my mind. Been looking to add an AR-10 for several years. With the current funny-world situation; I figured I better bite. Incar was an accomplice. Shout out to him for finding me a sweet deal on a Palmetto State Armory rig. Also steered me to the Vortex SPARC AR red dot. I highly recommend. I have a 3x monocular on order for it. Also added a Caldwell bipod, and Magpul front vertical grip. I won 600 rounds of 7.62 / .308 ammo on GB for a fairly reasonable price. A Savior range bag also added to keep things tidy.

I got it all squared away today, and headed to the range in a light rain. The Vortex sight is awesome. At 50 yards; I had it dialed in to very good paper with 6 shots. Put 20 rounds downrange to verify. Moved to the 100 and 200 yard ranges. As it stands now; this is the most accurate that I've ever shot. That's saying a lot for a mediocre shooter. Best I ever had was a Steyer SSG in the mid-80's. It was bolt action, but insanely accurate. Sent another 80 rounds downrange on the 100 and 200 yard ranges. I couldn't miss. The rain picked up near the end, so I didn't feel like walking back and forth too much.

I'd forgotten how powerful a round that .308 is! It was exhilarating, but betting good money that I'm going to be sore later. A few pics:

View attachment 398298 View attachment 398299 View attachment 398300 View attachment 398301
Is that a road beyond those narrow, short berms???

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have been at an indoor range when unbeknownst to me, someone took the next booth with with a Springfield M1A SOCOM....308 with 16" barrel and a muzzle brake. When he fired, I thought there was an explosion with my stuff or something, and I started checking my vital areas. Then looked over and realized what it was.
Similar experiences. People that are that discourteous, worry me about owning firearms.

·
Registered
22,078 Posts
We have a service road to access the 600 and 1000 yard stops.
After looking at the photo again, it is the perspective and a wide angle lens. Makes it look like the road is in the line of fire. 😲 😄

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
After looking at the photo again, it is the perspective and a wide angle lens. Makes it look like the road is in the line of fire. 😲 😄
It actually is. We just don't drive it unless we have a work day, or sponsored shoot. In that case; we'd have more than one person there to keep the range safe. Utilizing anything more than 200 yards requires at least two people, if you're going down range

21 - 40 of 106 Posts