SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking more and more at a few sites that sell their own reman'ed ammo like freedom munitions, LAX etc etc ... Are these Remanded ammo's worth trying?

The reason I am asking is because they are only about .02 - .01 cheaper a bullet which is not much of a savings at all. It is like 190 instead of 200 for a 1000 bullets basically. $10 to me isnt much of a savings to worry if someone was having a bad day reloading 2nd hand stuff haha.

So do people around here shoot that stuff? What is some of the better liked Reman ammo sites?

I am mainly looking at 9mm stuff for the range.

· Registered
841 Posts
I'm right there with you. I've been looking into it, and I noticed the same thing. I think I'd rather pay a little bit more for the piece of mind.
Part of me wants to start reloading myself too.

· Registered
841 Posts
I've shot thousands of Freedom Munitions, LAX and Georgia Arms remans, no issues. Georgia Arms was all 357 SIG, great stuff, nice and hot! You can save a bit more by doing the brass turn in programs they run.
This is initially why I started saving brass.
I decided I would either try my hand at reloading one day, or I would trade it towards some reloads.

Do you have a favorite out of the ones you listed?

Thanks.

· Registered
443 Posts
I have also shot thousands of rounds of Freedom Munition without a problems. I think their quality is as good as most new manufactured rounds. Though I DO have their NEW SD rounds in my EDC... practice is one thing...

· Registered
489 Posts
I've used thousands of Freedom Munitions the quality is of no concern to me for range use but unless you reload you won't get much savings even buying in bulk (1k) quantities.

· Registered
7,973 Posts
Yeah, after an initial several hundred rounds thru a new gun, I usually run a lot of re-loads in 9mm & 45axp - always have. The price difference is usually much more than the few pennies you mention though.

My range sells a local reloader's 9mm & 45acp ammo that does a great job. FM's another reload source I've used for rifle ammo.

Cheers

· Registered
1,777 Posts
the savings is more significant on .45 than on 9mm. The .45 reman I have shot from Freedom Munitions seems as good as anything else for practice.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
seems like freedom munitions is one of the more popular ones here ...

Maybe I will just dish out the $200 new shipped vs $185 reman shipped. I dont think $15 is that amazing especially on 2nd hand ammo. I dont care how shiny it is haha I guess I am just at the bullet type where there is not much difference in price with the 9mm and would only be beneficial if I had a higher caliber

· Registered
18,006 Posts
Shooting remanufactured ammo is no more or less dangerous than shooting factory ammo. It all comes down to the quality control of the company.

When Mrs. Flash and I first started going shooting together, she was scared of my ammo as she'd never shot reloads before. I told her my ammo was better than factory. Now, all these years later, she tells people to reload and that if you do it properly, it's better and safer than factory.

And she's right.

Regarding your question about LAX ammo, that's the brand one of our local indoor shooting ranges buys and sells to people who use their range and they've used it for around 5 years or so at this time. They appear to be good to go.

· Registered
358 Posts
I've been getting new 9mm for 0.20 to 0.22 a round and have heard 0.16 is more appropriate. When I looked into reman., like the OP I didn't find much savings, unless it was steel cased which I know to avoid (and am still hesitant but more willing to try alum casing after some light research now).

Should I look at remanufactured (which I though was reloads) NOT the same as DIY reloads? It seems reloading yourself is where the savings are at, but have not looked into it enough to see what the savings are.

Since it's slightly on topic, I shot 300 rounds on a range trip yesterday, split between two new to me pistols (one was a P320)-- how much do you guys shoot per range visit?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I normally shoot about 1-200 9mm each visit, but then I shoot about 325-650 rounds of .22 from my pistol to mainly work on basics and just get more fundamental practice in for super cheap @ .06 a round

· Registered
9,034 Posts
I normally shoot about 1-200 9mm each visit, but then I shoot about 325-650 rounds of .22 from my pistol to mainly work on basics and just get more fundamental practice in for super cheap @ .06 a round
Our Tractor Supply has started carrying ammo, and has Winchester 22LR hallow points for 4.9 cents a round- 1000 round brick for $49. Got a TSC close by?

· Registered
18,006 Posts
Should I look at remanufactured (which I though was reloads) NOT the same as DIY reloads? It seems reloading yourself is where the savings are at, but have not looked into it enough to see what the savings are.
Remanufactured is reloads, just another name for it.

I've been reloading since I was 9 years old and I've been retired for around 11 years.

The least amount of savings in reloading is 9MM, where you save around $3.00/box/50.

If you reload anything else, the savings are greater. I save around $5.00/box/50 for .45 ACP and for other calibers, I save even more per box.

· Registered
358 Posts
Does the 22 really transfer well to the 9mm? I am new to 9mm and I recently found myself flinching (muzzle goes down). I shot my .40 2022 for years prior and have the most trigger time with that caliber, and closing in with the 9mm.

Remanufactured is reloads, just another name for it.

I've been reloading since I was 9 years old and I've been retired for around 11 years.

The least amount of savings in reloading is 9MM, where you save around $3.00/box/50.

If you reload anything else, the savings are greater. I save around $5.00/box/50 for .45 ACP and for other calibers, I save even more per box.
Ah gotcha, that makes sense.

· Registered
18,006 Posts
Does the 22 really transfer well to the 9mm? I am new to 9mm and I recently found myself flinching (muzzle goes down). I shot my .40 2022 for years prior and have the most trigger time with that caliber, and closing in with the 9mm.
Mrs. Flash started developing a flinch shooting her 9MM G26 years ago, so I bought an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit for it.

We went to the range each week and put the .22 conversion on and she'd shoot between 25~50 rounds.

Then I'd put the 9MM slide/barrel/magazine back on and she'd shoot a couple of boxes of 9MM.

Her group size shrank to ½ the size it was before I bought the conversion.

To this day she shoots ½ box of .22LR before shooting her carry gun every week and it keeps her group sizes small.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Basically what Flash said ...

I use the .22 to work on basics. Stop anticipating and twitching etc ... its relaxing because theres hardly any kick so you can focus on other things.

As far as transferring, I would say most definitely. Shooting is shooting in the most basic form. The more time you have behind the sights pulling the trigger the better I think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.