SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new, and just purchased my first pistol. I ordered this:

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/798681306459-1

And picking it up Wednesday. Did I do ok for my first gun? I'm not even sure what variant P226R is. I hope the local gun dealer doesn't try to switch it out on me if it's a great deal or something, lol. I'm kind of excited because I hear Sigs are a really good brand, so I guess we'll see. I will post a pic Wednesday when I get it. I have a concealed carry application in with the state, but don't have the card in the mail yet, so I guess I'll have to buy a case this week also.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Warm welcome from South Florida. Have relatives in Lutz, nice wooded area outside of Tampa. Florida is pretty prompt issuing the licence. You should have it in no time.
Good catch. P226R CPO you can't go wrong.
Clean it well before shooting it. Sigs like to run wet. Grease if it slides and oil if it rotates. Enjoy it and may you spend lots of money in ammo.

Reactions: ronin11

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Hi, I'm new, and just purchased my first pistol.

And picking it up Wednesday. Did I do ok for my first gun? I'm not even sure what variant P226R is. .
You did fine. It's a good gun to get started with.

To answer your question on what variant it is - the "R" stands for rail. The gun in the picture shows the rail on the frame.

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very nice deal and being a CPO it has been well looked over and everything that needed to be replaced has been along with a 1 year warranty.

Reactions: FLASIG and sigke

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Welcome to the site, and to echo the others, you did just fine. The Sig P226 is a standard in the world of combat pistols. It is truly a classic piece that will serve you well. It happens to be my favorite gun, and although I don't currently own one, it remains the favorite.

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Welcome.
And yes, you did good.
The 226 is the standard uniform pistol from SIG, and should have beaten Beretta in the 1980s. Many purists want the older Carbon steel slides, but the Stainless absorbs recoil better. This is important for the .40 and 357 calibers.
You definitely for your money's worth

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Hi, I'm new, and just purchased my first pistol. I ordered this:

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/798681306459-1

And picking it up Wednesday. Did I do ok for my first gun? I'm not even sure what variant P226R is. I hope the local gun dealer doesn't try to switch it out on me if it's a great deal or something, lol. I'm kind of excited because I hear Sigs are a really good brand, so I guess we'll see. I will post a pic Wednesday when I get it. I have a concealed carry application in with the state, but don't have the card in the mail yet, so I guess I'll have to buy a case this week also.
You chose wisely. at least with the CPO, you have a 1 year warranty, but chances are you won't need it. As already mentioned, make sure you clean and lube it up real good. Chances are good that it's already been "broken in", so you needn't worry about that... they may have installed new springs, but once again that shouldn't have any real effects.

Welcome to Sig Talk, and enjoy your new pistol, when it arrives!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The 226 is the standard uniform pistol from SIG, and should have beaten Beretta in the 1980s.
Actually the Sig P226 did beat the Beretta but the Army went with the Beretta because the magazines and spare parts were cheaper.

The first to get the M9 were the Navy SEALs who run about 3000 rounds a week through their pistols in training and it didn't take long before slides start breaking prompting the navy to go out and buy some P226s.
The navy then asked Sig to make one with a pic rail and anti-corrosion coating and the P226 Navy MK25 was born:SIG:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, I'm new, and just purchased my first pistol.

And picking it up Wednesday. Did I do ok for my first gun? I'm not even sure what variant P226R is. .
You did fine. It's a good gun to get started with.

To answer your question on what variant it is - the "R" stands for rail. The gun in the picture shows the rail on the frame.
Ah, thank you! There are a lot of acronyms in this gun business, so I'm asking about them as I go along, thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 226 is the standard uniform pistol from SIG, and should have beaten Beretta in the 1980s.
Actually the Sig P226 did beat the Beretta but the Army went with the Beretta because the magazines and spare parts were cheaper.

The first to get the M9 were the Navy SEALs who run about 3000 rounds a week through their pistols in training and it didn't take long before slides start breaking prompting the navy to go out and buy some P226s.
The navy then asked Sig to make one with a pic rail and anti-corrosion coating and the P226 Navy MK25 was born
Typical government, go with the cheapest spare parts instead of the best machine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.