SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Date night last friday with my wife was a trip to a nearby range and then onto a restaurant for a steak dinner for two. For the trip, we took along a CZ 512 in .22 winmag for fun and my new P229 legion DA/SA for its maiden voyage.

GOOD:

1. The steak was excellent. 14 ounce rib eye, medium rare plus pan seared to perfection with nothing but salt and pepper on it. WOW!
2. CZ512 with the wife putting holes in the bullseye at 70 feet (max for the range). Child's play really using a scope...but hey....the wife having fun at the range. Gotta love it.

BAD

Uhhh...the top-dog SIG was jamming like Bob Marley out of the box. I had taken it down and lubricated it before the trip. I exercised the slide maybe 100 times. Everything seemed good, but it was fire one shot, eject spent casing, jam next bullet into the feed ramp, every round when I first started firing it. I'd pop out the magazine, clear the unused bullet, exercise the slide 5 times, reinsert the magazine, jack the slide, fire a round and repeat. (firing SIG ammo FMJ ammo here)

After 2 magazines of this it started to fire 2 in a row and then jam. Then 3 in a row and then jam. Then 5 and jam. It just got better and better.

Finally it was doing well enough I loaded 5 of my previously jammed bullets in a magazine and gave it to my wife to try. 5 shots on target. No issues. We did the same thing 2 more times. No issues.

It was about time to head out to the restaurant, so I popped in a 20 round mag from my p226 and fired all 20 with no issues.

So...GOOD

It seemed to fix itself.

I'm going to have to take it to the range again to make sure it stays fixed...but I'm hopeful. Next time I'd like to move it to some Blazer Brass or similar as well to see if it will tolerate non-Sig ammo.

Question:

Does anyone think a dot of lubriplate (or similar grease) on the feed ramp might be a good idea? Just seems like the nose of the bullet had enough friction on the feed ramp that it was keeping it from feeding properly.

Phil

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would NOT put grease on the Feed ramp. The chamber will get full of grease .. you extractor will likely get full of grease.

Some guns when brand new just need a little fire time to get those parts nice and seated and rubbed up against each other. I would simply clean it again and see if it is done with its growing pains.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When my 229R Nitron was brand new, it jammed periodically. Switched mags and it still would act up. However, those teething pains totaled maybe 5 or 10 out of the first 200-250. Ever since then the Sig has just hummed along.

And I agree, please don’t grease the feed ramp.

I’d clean the pistol, lube it with gun oil or grease of your choice, and go run more rounds through it. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone think a dot of lubriplate (or similar grease) on the feed ramp might be a good idea?
Definitely a bad idea. It will all end up elsewhere requiring a clean-up. You lubed the gun but did you first clean it, esp frame rails? Rx is more ammo, more break-in and I suspect it will be fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I didn’t clean the gun as received. I saw no dirt or foreign material anywhere. The only lube I used was the little “ketchup packet” that Sig supplied of the new lube line they are recommending/selling. I left a lot of lube on as they show in their online tutorial.

I’m hopeful I shot it out of its funk. The last 45 to 50 rounds were flawless…but that was with the new 15 round mags only loaded with 5 rounds each and my old 20 round magazine I’ve used for years. I need to put 15 round in one of these new magazines and verify I’m not right back in to an issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My p229 scorpion hates sig ammo. Sig ammo jammed every other round at the Sig Academy. Switched to winchester whitebox and no issues. The casing rims were catching on the end of the feedramp.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I’ve found my P series Sigs like to run a bit wet especially when brand new. Make sure she is clean and well lubed and get back out to the range. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Weird. My P229 Legion RX has literally never jammed, from shot 1 onward. I have several 1000 rounds through it. I've never shot Sig ammo through it though. Glad it's clearing up, but I'd do a lot more range shooting before I trusted it for EDC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts