SIG Talk banner

Glock Formally Protests

4499 Views 67 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  Cyanide971
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
504 Posts
Why do they keep mentioning a "stainless steel frame" in these articles?

· Registered
179 Posts
I gotta think this is merely a pro forma complaint. The Army has made up its mind.
However, if the GAO finds that the Army failed to follow their formal proposal evaluation process in an area that directly impacted the competitor ratings.....Glock could force a second evaluation of all bidders (even if Sig was the best value offer).

It's interesting to note that the GAO review would never establish that a more competitive bidder should win the award (in this case, possibly Glock).....just that if the Army failed to follow their documented evaluation process, then a new evaluation may be warranted.

· Registered
193 Posts
Why do they keep mentioning a "stainless steel frame" in these articles?

Technically (legally) speaking, the P320 is not a polymer framed gun. The polymer "grip module" is just a shell. The actual receiver (frame) of the P320 is the stainless steel FCU. Thus, it's a steel framed gun. Or, how I think of it, it's a pistol with a steel receiver held in a polymer housing.

· Registered
4,106 Posts

· Registered
7,825 Posts
Yep - that's pretty much SOP with any large $$$ DoD contract.
However, if the GAO finds that the Army failed to follow their formal proposal evaluation process in an area that directly impacted the competitor ratings.....Glock could force a second evaluation of all bidders (even if Sig was the best value offer).

It's interesting to note that the GAO review would never establish that a more competitive bidder should win the award (in this case, possibly Glock).....just that if the Army failed to follow their documented evaluation process, then a new evaluation may be warranted.
Correct. It is pretty much guaranteed that one of the losing bidders will file formal complaint. What this does is force into the open the decision making process and how they came about the award. Glock may or may not have been the lowest bidder. That usually is not the reason. I've had protests filed against awards/companies I represented. And the contracting office in this case the army will have to publicly declare why they gave Sig the award. The RFQ was seemingly written to basically eliminate all others from get go to begin with which is another thing I've encountered in these types of things. Without naming it the RFQ will be written to such perfection that only one companies product will fill the bill. I myself am interested in hearing why Sig beat Glock. I don't think it was due to reliability of one over the other or price. Some have said it was because the Glock has finger grooves which was an eliminator. But the new Gen5 FBI model Glocks do not have finger grooves. It will be interesting to see the real reason behind the award.

· 🎖USAF Retired
682 Posts
I gotta think this is merely a pro forma complaint. The Army has made up its mind.
Maybe, but a lot of contracts have been overturned through protests so don't assume this is "pro forma". The usual cause for upholding a protest is because the source selection authority did not follow the criteria precisely as laid out in the Request for Proposal. Hopefully the long drawn-out selection was because they were carefully following the process.

(Former USAF acquisition program manager who has successfully beaten back a protest)

· 🎖USAF Retired
682 Posts
Nope it's a business and they lost out on what is probably the last big handgun contract. The DOD appeals process does not punish for filing frivolous appeals so it's good business to go for it; worst that can happen is, well nothing. They still lose. That's it.

· Registered
74 Posts
Who cares? Makes exactly 0 difference to 99% of us anyways
I bought my 320 because I liked its feel in my hand and the trigger is quite good.

I have never bought, or even considered, a handgun primarily because the Army, FBI or any other government agency uses it. And I never will.

But, that's just me.

· Registered
766 Posts
It seems Glock can't get it through their head that they are not the end all be all for police and military. Not everyone thinks they are the ultimate weapon. Talking with my LGS about FTF with ammo, both fmj and HPs they said the surprising biggest number of gun they have seen returned to them is Glock. One that was returned could not go more than 2 rnds before FTF. Something has to have been changed, because these used to eat anything you fed them.

· Registered
620 Posts
Nope it's a business and they lost out on what is probably the last big handgun contract. The DOD appeals process does not punish for filing frivolous appeals so it's good business to go for it; worst that can happen is, well nothing. They still lose. That's it.
Legal and appeal "preparation" fees can bee quite large. I agree with you it's a common practice. :banghead: Wonder if the "rules" will change under the new administration :rolleyes:

· Banned
6,262 Posts
I think the fact that Sig was the only manufacturer to produce a pistol that fit the Army's request to the letter is, at the very least, curious. My guess is that is what Glock will focus its protest on. If it is found that the Army colluded with Sig to get the contract there could be some pretty serious charges filed. On this premise I think Glock has a legitimate complaint, as would any other competitor, but I think it is highly unlikely it will go anywhere. If there is one thing the Army (military) is adept at, it's a cover up.

Reactions: PatFranklin

· Banned
6,262 Posts
"And while the weapon can be adapted to shoot 9mm, .357 SIG and .40 S&W ammunition, the Army is opting to stick with the 9mm."

Comments/Thoughts on the commitment to 9mm for the army?
Cost benefit analysis. There are a number of reasons ranging from cost to performance to capacity. The fact is the pistol is a secondary weapon, which the majority of soldiers aren't even issued at this point. The 9mm is more than adequate for the role it is pressed into. It is less expensive, lighter, able to afford more rounds, which keeps you in the fight, and they already have a huge stock pile of it in inventory. Changing calibers just doesn't make sense as it would be terribly cost prohibitive without offering any discernible advantage, at all.

Reactions: Cyanide971
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.