SIG Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I became a first time, proud owner, of a Sig.

I purchased a barely used (100 rounds) P320 Compact 9 w/ Apex trigger and really love it! I currently have, and plan to sell, my Satin CZ83 .380 & Uzi Eagle Compact .40 to offset this purchase...love both of them too, but putting all stock (and finances) in my Sig now.

Anyway, I also found a new .40 compact X-Change and got it delivered this week...it is the newest generation medium grip that included the new catch release too.

I don't think I like the new 3rd gen grip and the way the shroud covers the release, so I am going to keep using the gen 2 grip it came with, but not sure which release I like and wanted opinions.

So, anybody using an older style grip with gen 2 catch release?

I know the gen 1 is also a bigger release, but I think I like that too.

Opinions?

·
Registered
P320 45 ACP Carry, P320 9MM Carry, P320 357 Sig Carry conversion kit, Colt 1911 45 ACP Government
381 Posts
My 9 MM was the original style (purchased in early 2015), but I recently bought a 357 sig conversion kit that came with the new style grip module and slide release lever and then I bought the flat takedown lever. I have to say I like the gen 2 configuration better. I just like the smaller profile and I release the slide by racking it rather than using the release lever. However, I can see why people might like the original version better if they use the release lever to release the slide. I haven't tried the new style release lever with the original style grip module, so I can't give you any feedback on that. One thing I would be curious about is whether the new lever, since it sweeps forward, would be apt to get caught on clothing, etc. if used with the original style grip module.

And congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll be happy with your p320 for a long time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a 1st gen grip module and recently swapped the slide catch/release and takedown lever to the new style. I like it better. With the older style, using a thumbs forward grip, people were inadvertently engaging the slide catch while firing. I didn't since my hands are on the smaller side but I do like the newer slim design of them. The monolith around the slide catch is just another layer of protection but I sort of like the "open" aspect of the slim catch and no monolith.

-Dan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wished they didn't do away with the old slide release. The newer ones are deathly uncomfortable to use.
The little one feels a little harder to utilize than the big one, as I have smaller hands. I am right handed, but I have tried both when holding in my left and I just can't make it cycle no matter which grip or release.

I do use the release rather than cycle it by hand...I like to put in the new mag and grip with both hands and pull the release while pointing down range.

I plan to put a few rounds thru options and see which way goes the best for me. I appreciate the opinions though...they give me more things to think about.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife can't operate the smaller, newer, type so we'll be sticking with the larger one and Gen 1 frames...so I found her a rare gen 1 small grip and she likes it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer the older style grip with the gen 2 catch release. My thumb kept hitting the original catch, but the gen 2 catch is small enough that this is not a problem anymore even with the older style grip. The newer grip "shroud" makes it hard to engage the catch.

The catch can be hard to release when the gun is new, but over time it will get easier.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I got my first p320, I loved everything about it other than the fact that it wouldn't hold the slide open on the last round. It was my neighbors son who pointed out that my thumb was gently riding the slide release. I have never had that issue on other firearms. My natural grip still will release the slide, I just make adjustments. I have had that issue will all of the gens.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Last week I became a first time, proud owner, of a Sig.

I purchased a barely used (100 rounds) P320 Compact 9 w/ Apex trigger and really love it! I currently have, and plan to sell, my Satin CZ83 .380 & Uzi Eagle Compact .40 to offset this purchase...love both of them too, but putting all stock (and finances) in my Sig now.

Anyway, I also found a new .40 compact X-Change and got it delivered this week...it is the newest generation medium grip that included the new catch release too.

I don't think I like the new 3rd gen grip and the way the shroud covers the release, so I am going to keep using the gen 2 grip it came with, but not sure which release I like and wanted opinions.

So, anybody using an older style grip with gen 2 catch release?

I know the gen 1 is also a bigger release, but I think I like that too.

Opinions?
Morning SpyderByte

My opinion is to try different slide latch's until YOU find what works best for you & your hand/thumb placement.

For me personally I like the Gen 1 frames with the Gen 1 slide latch lever as it is comfortable, I never seem to accidently bump the slide latch, & I can use the slide latch without changing my grip on the gun.

I can live with the Gen 2 frame with the Gen 2 slide latch as that is all that will work with the Gen 2 frame. But I have to change my grip & slightly move the gun around in my hand to use the Gen 2 slide latch.

What I can't stand (personally for me anyhow) is the Gen 2 slide latch on the Gen 1 frame as it cuts into my thumb when shooting +p loads. The Gen 2 slide latch on the Gen1 frame sticks out like an elephants ear so catches on some of my holsters.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I went out shooting again this past weekend, first time with the new slide catch. I didn't find it difficult to disengage. I too have small hands and had no problem. I just have to re-train and get the muscle memory down as to where the new catch is located. A couple times I expected it to be in the normal position but had to travel further.

-Dan

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have one of each because I have so many of both grips. love switching them around. If I could only have one gen 2 looks much cleaner.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I prefer the earlier slide lever because it is closer to the style, size, and location of the slide levers on other SIGs I own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts