SIG Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Lately I've been shooting Geco 9mm Luger 124 Grain FMJ, which I've gotten at Target Sports. Good price and free shipping on 1000. That's out of stock now, and I've thought of getting Speer Lawman 9mm Luger 124 Grain TMJ. I'm shooting P229 and P938.

Any thoughts of which ammo might be better? Here are the links:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/geco-9mm-luger-ammo-124-grain-fmj-210040050-p-3538.aspx
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/speer-lawman-9mm-luger-ammo-124-gr-tmj-53651-p-1094.aspx

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Speer lawman is fine. I prefer Geco or Stellar & Bellot.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Speer is a little more "stout". I like it because it more closely simulates the pop of my defensive rounds. I keep it in stock, but don't shoot it, exclusively. Rather, I shoot a mag or two during most range sessions to sim defensive rounds.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have had consistently excellent results with Speer Lawman in several calibers including 9mm Luger, 124 grain. I understand that many law enforcement agencies that use Speer Gold Dot JHP for carry also use Speer Lawman FMJ for practice ammo.

I have had good results with Geco and Sellier and Bellot as well. If I had a choice between the three in the same caliber, projectile weight, and price, I would probably go with the Speer Lawman.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I prefer Lawman in all calibers because of its consistent good quality AND it's a very clean shooting round.

Years ago, a friend gave me some S&B to try.
I had issues with the S&B because of the OAL in .40s&w so, I stay away from it.

I've never used Geco and I don't intend to as long as Lawman is made in this country and is within the same price range.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
By it's listing ballistics, the Speer Lawman is 90 fps less than the Geco. Sellier and Bellot, Federal AE, or Winchester NATO will come closer to the Geco specifications in 124 gr.

I haven't tried any Sellier and Bellot myself, hear good things. The gov't contract stuff available currently at Target Sports has the same specs.

I do like the Federal and the Winchester NATO, which I just received my most recent order of the Winchester this week.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Can"t speak for the 229. The 938 I have has been problem free with all ammo brands and weights I have fired through it. The only type I have not put through it is reloads and steel case.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lawman not machined as well?

I just had the 1000 rounds of Speer Lawman 9mm 124 grain delivered. I ordered from Target Sports for a reasonable price, about 21 cents each.

I haven't fired any yet, but just looking at the Lawman ammo was a bit of a surprise. The bullets are not machined as well as the Geco ammo. I see a small indentation or two on most Lawman bullets. The bullets look like they'll do the job, but it's still surprising.

The Geco ammo looks to be "better made." Just my 2 cents.

Maybe I'll change my opinion after I done some shooting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I remember correctly, Dynamite Nobel manufactured Geco before the company was bought and was the preferred ammo used while Sig was exclusively in Germany and was very good ammo.

I would also look at MEM ammo manufactured in Germany is suppose to be the NATO ammo for German Police and Military and is pretty much equal to Winchester NATO and is very accurate.

Fiocchi is also very good ammo and equal to NATO..

All 124g and about 1140 to 1180 fps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FWIW, I just fired some Geco 9mm 124 grain and some Lawman 9mm 124 grain at my targets. I didn't notice any difference in accuracy or how they felt to fire in my P229. I'll be happy to shoot either in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.