SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Sig P320 X-Compact RXP and upgraded to the Wilson Combat Carry II grip module with a Gas Pedal takedown lever. I have shot for a while, but was only recently introduced to gripping the gun in a way that puts my thumb near the takedown lever. I love it, but am trying to get used to it.

Gas Pedal guys, please help me out...

Question 1: Does your thumb slip on every shot or is it pretty static on the Gas Pedal? I am having trouble when I shoot of it slipping slightly out of position.

Question 2: It says on the GoGun site that the pressure on the Gas Pedal is supposed to be toward the bore rather than down. I feel stupid asking this question, but does that mean pressuring forward or toward the center of the gun? Please explain the proper direction and amount of pressure to best utilize the Gas Pedal.

Thanks, guys! Loving the forum.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,001 Posts
For a proper grip if you are a right hand shooter the left hand should have a firmer grip then the right and the left thumb should be resting on the gas pedal applying pressure toward the slide and not downward. With a firm left hand grip and pressure toward the slide with your left thumb resting on the gas pedal your thumb should not slip off the gas pedal. I have the gas pedal on both my P320 X- Compact and P320 AXG Scorpion and have no issues with my thumb coming off the gas pedal when I fire a round.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I put mostly downward pressure on the gas pedal to mitigate recoil with just a bit of lateral pressure against the bore to keep my finger in place but not su much as to pull my shots to the right...

Never had a problem with slipping of the gas pedal so far...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
You push in towards the bore. You are clamping the gun with your left hand and that provides a point of pressure. Due to the shape of your hand and the device and where both are on the gun, you will also be pushing down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Excellent replies but I echo, that you should push towards the bore. Pushing down will cause windage errors and possibly failure. If your thumb slips off you are pushing down in wrong direction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be clear "toward the bore" means directly lateral into the slide? Not forward? Does "bore" refer to the entire barrel, or the end? Sorry for my ignorance.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Pressure the GasPedal at a right angle toward the bore... Also known as perpendicular to, or sideways pressure.

Reactions: zelom

·
Registered
313 Posts
I asked Go Gun USA about it last year and they told me you are basically pushing forward, down and slightly in towards the bore at an angle. You are pushing downward to mitigate recoil because your left thumb shouldn’t be able to overpower the rest of your grip and drop the muzzle but on the contrary, if you put too much pressure towards the bore axis there is no direct counterbalance since your fingers wrap around the grip much lower... I was kinda confused after their explanation...

Then they told me that an easy way to picture it is to push towards the mid-line of the bottom accessory rail... still a bit confused...

Don’t shoot the messenger (pun intended)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Do you need a special holster to run the gas pedal or will it fit in regular holsters?
I have a couple of 4bros Gas Pedal specific holsters and it fits in my Safariland 6390RDS and 7390RDS.

I had to modify my T.Rex Sidecar and T1C AXIS Elite with a heat gun to fit it properly, literally took 5 minutes...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Also be aware that not everybody is in love with the Gas Pedal.

For someone who has spent years refining a strongly canted wrist, high weak hand and thumbs far forward grip it will just get in the way.

Gas Pedal people will say "that's not the way to use the Gas Pedal!!!"

I agree, if you are going to use it you need to use it as described in their owners manual.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I asked Go Gun USA about it last year ...
And yet their officially published info appears to suggest pushing inward toward the opposite side of the pistol, and specifically NOT pushing down, or forward, on the Gas Pedal...

·
Registered
313 Posts
And yet their officially published info appears to suggest pushing inward toward the opposite side of the pistol, and specifically NOT pushing down, or forward, on the Gas Pedal...
Seems to me their official info matches what they told me last year of pushing inward and downward at an angle. I never said to push straight down but to avoid pushing 90 degrees sideways against the bore axis. They even told me to push towards the midline of the lower rail which is inwards/downwards at an angle of roughly 45 degrees.

Why would you even need a Gas Pedal if you are going to press purely sideways? Might as well just press against the frame sideways and avoid the Gas Pedal at that point...

The whole idea of the Gas Pedal is to mitigate recoil and give you an easily repeatable thumb position, pure lateral pressure literally defeats the whole point of the shape it has...

It’s based on accelerator pedals for 2011 race guns on which I am pretty sure you don’t solely press sideways towards the bore...

Straight from their website:

IMPORTANT Angle your thumb 45 degrees to bore. DO NOT press straight down. If your thumb slides off you are not putting pressure in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,001 Posts
Do you need a special holster to run the gas pedal or will it fit in regular holsters?
MIE Productions made a holster to accommodate my gas pedal plus my Olight PL Mini 2 rail light.
tempImagee2bSWS.png

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
...Straight from their website:

IMPORTANT Angle your thumb 45 degrees to bore. DO NOT press straight down. If your thumb slides off you are not putting pressure in the right direction.

Thanks for making my point... Here is another quote from their webpage:

"NOTE: This part designed for normal loads with compatible spring rates. Too hot a load with light spring or odd guide rod,
may cause breakage . (Battering) Pressing Down with thumb instead of towards bore can cause same."

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for making my point... Here is another quote from their webpage:

"NOTE: This part designed for normal loads with compatible spring rates. Too hot a load with light spring or odd guide rod,
may cause breakage . (Battering) Pressing Down with thumb instead of towards bore can cause same."
Hey, I am just sharing what the company told me, don't shoot the messenger...

I push on the gas pedal down and sideways at close to a 45 angle where my thumb is basically laying flat on the large portion of the Gas Pedal but the majority of the force is directed downwards to fight recoil and it has so far worked well for me, no slipping past it or pulling my shots but that's just how I do it...

Now, if you want to get really technical about it, pushing toward the bore would imply pushing upwards and sideways since the gas pedal literally sits behind the recoil assembly and well below the bore... thus I would take the insert and website instructions with a grain of salt and some creative license... the way I interpret it (and it literally says it) is to push at a 45 degree angle towards the central axis of the gun vs. incorrectly pushing straight down or fully perpendicular (sideways)...

I mean, ****, if you are just going to push towards the bore then you might as well skip the gas pedal along with the expense and PITA with holsters and just push on the frame directly...

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
When using the Go Guns Gas Pedal recommended technique, the Gas Pedal can be an effective device:

"IMPORTANT Angle your thumb 45 degrees to bore. DO NOT press straight down. If your thumb slides off you are not putting pressure in the right direction."

·
Registered
104 Posts
Let me clarify. The Gas Pedal CG is to facillitate the opposable or OPP grip. That means your off hand thumb squeezes the firearm with the fingers of same hand opposeing it. The correct direction of thumb is towards the bore at rougly 45 degrees. But you dont have to be exact, just put your thumb on assist and squeeze with the off hand like you were gripping anything else, like a baseball bat or hammer. It facilitates what is technically known as term of art, strong grip. Strong grip does not specifically refer to firearms, it refers to any natural strong grip with the hand; the other term or art refering to hand is precise grip, like writing or makeing jewelry. Physiology makes combining the two in same hand difficult which is why most shooters jerk their shots. The Gas Pedal assists the off hand enabling the dominant hand to be loose for precise trigger control. If your thumb is slipping down you have wrong pressure direction. And like another poster said if you have mastered the difficult old school neutral grip, you should stick with it.

Reactions: Lancer L5 AWM
1 - 19 of 19 Posts