SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and hearing the term "Furniture" used for gun parts and upgrades. Has the gun world lost the minds, or has the dictionary been rewritten? Are words being used to mask whats the truth of something that might offend those people who hate guns?

Furniture is something that's placed and moved around the family room. Every spring furniture is rearranged in my house. Furniture won't fit in my Gun locker. My public conveyance device hauls my furniture from the store to the house.

For the sake of sanity, why not call a forearm, butt stock, hand guard what they are. The guy at the gun shop called a hand guard on an AR-15 furniture, i couldn't get away from the guy fast enough. Why confuse the industry. I work for the Army and the furniture is in the officer, not the armory, magazines or on the range.

No wonder shooters aren't going to the range anymore, lugging furniture just aint fun.

Someone find the hateful liberal that started this **** and educate her. I'm sure it was written in a law in California, where else does whacky stuff like this come from?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
ORDROCK, I imagine the term probably originated with the fine grade double barrel shotguns of English heritage, when stock and forearms were made of fine "furniture grade" walnut. This trend progressed to custom grade rifle stocks, again using furniture grade hardwoods. Probably ending with stocks and forearms regardless of the material used in their manufacture, considered furniture.

Not much different than people calling ammunition... "bullets"!!!

I don't think this is one thing, that can be effectively blamed on liberals...

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Instead of me having to type this sentence...

"I am thinking about installing a new forearm, butt stock, and pistol grip on my rifle."

I can just type...

"I'm thinking about replacing the furniture on my rifle."

Way less typing and kind of groups all of the items into one inclusive category.
This^^^
Why not use a commonly used word that describes all 3 parts instead of individually naming them all :huh:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Acronyms with better descriptions bother me worse.

Example.

"My gun is having FTE issues."

So, is it failing to extract? Or is it failing to eject?

"I experienced an FTF the other day at the range."

So your gun failed to feed a round? Or did it fail to fire a chambered round?
Acronyms be sooo like, tacticle and warrier - like.

Like MOLLE and all that.

Reactions: ray1970 and Willard

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does anyone know what a dictionary is anymore ?
Let alone able to read one.

Look up "furniture" and it describes the above mentioned example.

People have changed a lot since the 60's :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,502 Posts
Well when I was a kid we would wear our thongs to the beach. Of course back then a thong was something you wore on your feet. Those later became known as flip-flops and thongs became known as that piece of fabric that gets lodged in a girls butt cheeks.

I never heard or used the term furniture to describe my gun parts until recently. I have enjoyed the shooting sports for almost 50 years and never heard that term until internet came along. I think these things are a result of forums just like this. Descriptions like that are born and then get spread around. Some of these terms bug me but the furniture one only mildly bothers me. I have used it before.

Now I guess you could just say something like "my firearm has good wood" but that could be misconstrued and problematic. I think I actually did say that one time and my wife slapped me.

Another one that bugs me for some reason is the term "racking the gun". I am not sure why it bugs me. Maybe the word racking brings back bad memories of high school football, I don't know. We always said we would "pump the gun" (shotgun) or work the action but I never heard the term racking until recently.

Reactions: Willard

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have always considered "furniture" in reference to firearms as a slang term used by many gun owners. The terminology to describe wood stocks, forearms and/or grips for rifles, shotguns and handguns.

Yes, gun owners know what real life furniture is and will tell you it is a gun cabinet. Although, gun cabinets are becoming obsolete and replaced by non-furniture gun safes.

·
Registered
729 Posts
REALLY? We're upset about an English term for the wood on a firearm that has been used for at least 100 years, and we're just now finding out about it and having an ISSUE with it. The English have been having an ISSUE with our english for decades. The "funiture" term will never apply to a firearm that does not deserve it. If you don't own one of them, then ignore it and shop for "furniture" for your living room and have a happy life. Just as full disclosure I only own one firearm that MAY qualify as having furniture, but I love looking at those that do qualify. Generally they are exceptionally well made in case no one knew.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well why does the Military call a hat, Cover? The latrine, the Head or just call it the restroom? The floor, the Deck?
Why can't people just call it a Spade? Instead of the F#@&ing Shovel?

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
fur·ni·ture
ˈfərniCHər/
noun
noun: furniture
large movable equipment, such as tables and chairs, used to make a house, office, or other space suitable for living or working.
synonyms:
furnishings, fittings, movables, appointments, effects; More
chattels;
informalstuff, things
"most of the bedroom furniture is mahogany"
small accessories or fittings for a particular use or piece of equipment.
"computer hardware, software, and furniture"
synonyms:
furnishings, fittings, movables, appointments, effects; More

1 - 20 of 20 Posts