SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The manufacturer (Sig) has to cover their rump to warranty the product, hence a new slide. Sights are designed to be tight in the dovetail. It requires some lube on the sight as well as a good sight tool or in the case of older Springfield XD/XDMs about a 6 ton press. Always take it to someone that knows what they are doing. It may cost a bit more, but it only hurts once.
Sig is going to cover inproper installation of a non factory item by an independent vendor? Not likely. The sight installed from the factory was secure.

·
Registered
829 Posts
To see if the dovetail was filed, try the original front sight. If loose...problem; if tight, you dodged a bullet. Buy a new sight and find a real gunsmith.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, it's hard to imagine someone would file the dovetail. The slide is much harder material than the sight, which is malleable.

But there is always that guy.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, it's hard to imagine someone would file the dovetail. The slide is much harder material than the sight, which is malleable.

But there is always that guy.
There are lots of "that guy" gunsmiths out there. They're the reason why I learned to work on my own guns.

·
Registered
117 Posts
dsk, I have taken armorers courses for many guns that I own. Most are 1 day promotional classes. At least the Sig course was a legitimate 2 day with a written test, followed by a pick every part needed to rebuild the gun, assemble and prove function to instructor. Proof is drop Bic pen, writing side up, down barrel and prove firing pin bounces pen when trigger is tripped.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Dovetail sights are slightly oversized and need to be fitted by sanding/stoning the bottom to ensure a tight fit.

At a guess, and this is just a guess, the smith removed too much material and the sight is now too small for the dovetail.

I would take it to another smith to have a new sight installed. The LGS where you purchased it may have someone to recommend.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
This. You just need a new front sight and take it to a reputable smith this time. Those marks on the dovetail are ugly but they won’t effect a front sight not staying put. Those marks make me think the guy installing your sights use one of those cheap $25 ebay sight pushers. Those don’t hold the sights straight and they will shift left or right while being “pushed” into place. They will gouge the slide dovetail. I’ve seen it before.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I think your gunsmith screwed you up big time
Rather file the sight ..
He might have filed the beaver tail on the slide to fit ..
Take your gun to another Lgs buy another set and let them try ..
“He might have filed the beaver tail on the slide to fit”

What does this mean?

• Wow
Reactions: flwing and Andy105

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well even to the untrained eye one should be able to tell if the sight was filed in an attempt to fit the slide. The smith likely used a hammer and punch to push the old one out and slipped at least twice with the punch banging the dovetail. I'm sure he had a hell of a time if it was anything like mine which felt like it was welded in place. Hence I stopped after a solid tap or two as I knew it wasn't budging and purchased a pusher.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
750 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
A warning to all, there are a lot of self proclaimed gunsmiths out there that will gladly take your money and screw up your gun beyond repair. Be very careful who you choose because you have everything to loose. I had one that cost me two pistols years ago and I never recovery my money. Choose wisely my friends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been professionally gunsmithing for 28 years now. In my experience Tru Glo and Hi vis sights are very soft. They do usually require fitting but once fitted they don't always stay proper dimension after the final install. At least at my shop id replace the sight and install for the customer. Id at least take it back to see if they will take care of it. Ive had even nylon tools damage both Hi viz and true glo sight .

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had the same happen to my new p320. Sent back to sig for repair. Had a company mill a new slide and install suppressor sights.
Front fell out. I didn't want to damage slide so I used a punch to slightly deform the edge of the sight. Installed blue lock tight and reinstalled. 500 rounds later still good.

·
Premium Member
Poppastar a.k.a. pops
945 Posts
Curious, if you put the original sight back on is it loose too? The problem might be with the Truglow sight.
That's a good question actually, I haven't tried that yet. When I get home I will test that out and let you know the results. Worth an attempt
So did you try the original sight to see if it works or is now problematic too?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Get the items in pic below and tap the factory Sig sight back in and hopefully it fits tight.

If it does fit remove it and then buy a new front night sight and tap it in yourself. You would be surprised how easy some sights just tap right in no sight pusher needed.

Forget the gunsmith who did this he doesn't know what he is doing, I've had a couple gunsmiths mess up either my sight or slide so I know how you feel and that is when I said enough and I went and got the sight tools and began doing it myself. Get yourself a sight pusher or vice and hammer with punches, I use both depending on the gun and sights.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@Alfonse is on it. Don't touch the slide, with anything. I knew that on my first night sight install a while back, below.

I messed up a night sight, rear sight install a few years back. First time doing it. Took a bit too much material off the bottom of the sight; it was a Taurus G2C rear sight with a big bottom plate on it. Yes, it had a set screw to keep it snug, but if you tighten that set screw too much, it causes the rear sight to rise up a hair in the dovetail, and you do NOT want to torque those set screws very hard on this sight in particular. A Glock sized dovetail, not so much an issue.

To remedy and regain a tight fit, I took my auto center punch, and put little tiny dimples every 5-10 thousandths along the top of the very front edge of the dovetail on the rear sight itself. Each time, this mashed a little metal out forward, and doing it many many times allowed for a very large portion of that front dovetail to reliably fit back in. Snug as a bug after that, didn't budge, and I learned about sight dovetails more than I thought I had after reading up on it.

Also, having a table top vise like above, and some jeweler's files and hammer set, and a nylon punch can help a good bit. Sounds expensive, but these items can be had off Amazon or whatever for like $50-75 if you shop and get good, cheap items.

·
Registered
207 Posts
With the huge demand in gun sales to new owners, we also have a huge demand for gun modifications and the same number of competent gunsmiths we had two years ago. That has created a demand to get someone to do anything to customize a commodity gun to make it 'special.'

Nothing inherently wrong with changing up your gun - any more than shackles on the leaf springs of you Camaro, or Carolina Squat trucks, or large diesel stacks cut thru the pick up bed. Some modifications on guns have very little long term value, much like megenta metal flake cerakote. Night vision sights using tritium have a half life of ten years - they use similar vials in "tactical" watches - and "Half life" means they radioactively decay to where they only put out 1/2 of the illumination as before. Which is why the tacticool watches sell so cheap after a few years. They go dim, if not dark. Same with night sights. I have some on a 4566TSW dating from 1995 and they got white paint over them - because it's $150 to relamp them. New sights installed are cheaper. Whitemodel car paint shows up easy and I already had some.

Night vision sights are pretty much a gimmick when the tactical application is to shine a light on what you are aiming at to keep from shooting your wayward teen sneaking in late. If you cannot ID the target, you are a manslaughter charge walking. You CANNOT depend on night sights for anything more than knowing you aren't pointing the gun at yourself.

Tacticool gun accessories in and of themselves do not mean the owner/operator is capable of using them correctly. There is a significant training issue here, not which gunsmith should have monkeyed with it.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts