SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
Check the bottom of the front sight. Did the "smith" remove material from the base of the front sight? If so, he may have removed too much. A new front sight might fit tight enough to hold.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I thought all P365's came with night sights. Xray 3's to be exact. Did you buy this used?
The stainless slide 365's are usually an exclusive offering for Cabellas, Bass Pro, Sportsmans etc. They usually offer them around 50 bucks less than your normal everywhere black 365. MANY are the users that learn why it was less money. Sig lites instead of xray3's, unfinished slide. Seen this repeated many times. Its delibertly marketed to new users who may not know any better and just see that the same pistol is for less money anddd it has the silvery slide. I think its a deliberate marketing technique. The slide doesnt get a finish, thats a large savings to SIG and the dealer. Put the cheap sights on theres another big savings. Offer the customer 50 dollars off and laugh all the way to the bank. Now you got a guy who has whats touted as the be all end all hi capacity self defense micro pistol and it doesnt even have night sights on it. The rush of new gun owners caught up in pandemic fears are being taken advatage of by large corporation marketing tactics, all my opinion of course.

That slide has been beat to hell by some one who is clueless.Thats NOT opinion. Picture tells the whole story to anyone who has peened a sight.
They will never accept responsibility or make it right IMO
There are far more clueless arrogant gunsmiths than there are master of the craft.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Like GBIA says you might get lucky and the guy attacked the sight and not the slide and a new sight may well go in solid but that nasty pinging is for life.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm a little confused why you thought this was something to call Sig about and not the gunsmith who did the work?

Anyway, If it turns out to be a damaged dovetail and you still don't want to hold the hacksmith accountable, I would apply some JB weld to the bottom of the sight as filler material, grind it flat till it fits the dovetail nice and tight, maybe add a couple drops of thread locker and shoot it.

This isn't really that big of a problem and sure not enough of one to replace the slide... IMO.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sounds like this was an expensive lesson. I learned a similar lesson last year when I had a sight snap off during recoil. Ever since then, I stick with my one tried and true gunsmith. If he is backed up, I will wait until he is free. It’s me and him forever now.

I agree with the above posts: either repair that slide or buy a new one.

You aren’t wrong for wanting night sights... you just trusted a gunsmith who screwed up this time. Sig had nothing to do with the screw up, the new pistol didn’t have any sight problems. Talk to the gunsmith but if it were me, I’m not sure I’d let him do any more sight installations.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The stainless slide 365's are usually an exclusive offering for Cabellas, Bass Pro, Sportsmans etc. They usually offer them around 50 bucks less than your normal everywhere black 365. MANY are the users that learn why it was less money. Sig lites instead of xray3's, unfinished slide. Seen this repeated many times. Its delibertly marketed to new users who may not know any better and just see that the same pistol is for less money anddd it has the silvery slide. I think its a deliberate marketing technique. The slide doesnt get a finish, thats a large savings to SIG and the dealer. Put the cheap sights on theres another big savings. Offer the customer 50 dollars off and laugh all the way to the bank. Now you got a guy who has whats touted as the be all end all hi capacity self defense micro pistol and it doesnt even have night sights on it. The rush of new gun owners caught up in pandemic fears are being taken advatage of by large corporation marketing tactics, all my opinion of course.

That slide has been beat to hell by some one who is clueless.Thats NOT opinion. Picture tells the whole story to anyone who has peened a sight.
They will never accept responsibility or make it right IMO
There are far more clueless arrogant gunsmiths than there are master of the craft.
Didn't know that. Then again I don't shop for weapons on the cheap either unless its from one of you guys on here. ;) Then I'm squeaky cheap. OP would have been better off buying or borrowing a sight pusher and doing it himself. Then you know its done right. Instead of the hammered look from the pics.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you flood the dovetail with red loctite before you center the sight, and let it sit for at least 24 hours it should solve the issue with the least drama.
You only modify the sight, NEVER the weapon!
It sucks that a "gunsmith" was at fault and you pay the price.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think your gunsmith screwed you up big time
Rather file the sight ..
He might have filed the beaver tail on the slide to fit ..
Take your gun to another Lgs buy another set and let them try ..

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you flood the dovetail with red loctite before you center the sight, and let it sit for at least 24 hours it should solve the issue with the least drama.
You only modify the sight, NEVER the weapon!
It sucks that a "gunsmith" was at fault and you pay the price.
I think your gunsmith screwed you up big time
Rather file the sight ..
He might have filed the beaver tail on the slide to fit ..
Take your gun to another Lgs buy another set and let them try ..
If you look at the photo it doesn't look like the slot was filed.

·
Vendor
119 Posts
Lots of good suggestions. I would not suggest dimpling the bottom of the slide, but the bottom of the sight. You always want to modify the least expensive part. It looks like the "gunsmith" hit the sides of the dovetail with a punch. With any luck the sight was modified, not the slide other than the hit(s) from the punch. Even if the sight was made too small, some dimples from a center punch on the bottom of the sight will create some raised surfaces. That and some thread locker may allow the sight to firmly lock into place. A good gunsmith is a wonderful thing. The one who worked on your pistol is far less wonderful.

If the sight looks like it will fit, that batttered edge could be dressed up a little with some careful filing. Touch it up with some cold blue type of product, and it will hardly be noticeable. If it is stainless, you won't even have to touch it up. But, dressing it up would be easiest before the sight is installed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That's a good question actually, I haven't tried that yet. When I get home I will test that out and let you know the results. Worth an attempt
Once you can establish this, whether the issue is with the sight or with the dovetail, then you'll have a better idea how to proceed. If you've got a set of calipers and can measure the TruGlo TFX Pro and the front sight it came with, that will also help determine if he worked the sight too much or the dovetail.

As several have suggested, if it is the former, then the simple solution is buying a new TruGlo TFX Pro front sight and getting someone who knows what they're doing to install it. If it is the latter, it would also make sense to check with a gunsmith who knows what he's doing to see if something can be done that is not going to cost a ton of money or require replacing the slide before going down that path.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts