SIG Talk banner
1 - 21 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my stainless 365 did not come standard with night sights, just white dot. Considering I wanted this to be my EDC I figured it would be wise to put in night sights in case, you know, you had to ever use it in a low light scenario. I purchased the TruGlo TFX Pro tritium and fiber optic Xtreme sights specifically for the p365. Because of COVID, many shops around here were "too busy" to do any sight installations and I was referred to a private gunsmith who previously worked for a very reputable gunsmith company, so I felt comfortable they could perform the work as they had done various other installations for me on a few other firearms.

Unfortunately, I hadn't gone to the range until several months after the work was done to target practice when I noticed after a dozen shots, that my front sight had completely shifted over to the side and now I can slide the front sight in and out of the dovetail relatively easily. When I had contacted SIG regarding this they essentially told me they wouldn't even touch it or look at it unless I sent them the slide with no sights at all. And even then, most likely they wouldn't be able to do anything about it and I would need to purchase an entirely new slide assembly. I would have to either ask this same person or pay someone else to remove these sights since the rear sights are in there firmly with no issue. The "best" and only option SIG customer service was willing to suggest to me was to purchase a brand new slide with factory sights installed for around $300. They spoke to me as if basically my entire firearm was trashed at this point and of course I won't carry it without reliable sights and it has just been sitting in my safe since I now use a different (unfortunately larger) pistol for the time being as my EDC. This may have just been a very expensive lesson for me since obviously I paid $100+ for the sights, and paid for the work to install them, and would now have to spend more than half the cost of the pistol to get another slide.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Anyone have any other ideas on what I should do before I shell out another $300+ ? This whole thing has made me really upset and I regret ever wanting night sights on the pistol in the first place. Any and all opinions on this would be really appreciated. I tried to get the best pics of the front dovetail that I could to show the issue. Thanks in advance.
Communication Device Wood Finger Gadget Audio equipment

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does it fall out to the left side always? Need to peen the marks flat over there carefully, then use sight tool and some type of locking material after sight is centered. Adjust rear sight with sight pusher/tool to make sight corrections.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
750 Posts
While I sympathize with your situation, I'm not sure what else you expect Sig to do... :unsure:

You had sights installed by someone who appears to have either damaged or modified the dove tail on the slide. If the sight slides back and forth, it is no longer to spec (or you have the wrong sight, regardless of what you ordered). Sig offered you the solution - buy a new slide. The other alternative would be to have a machine shop fill in and recut the dove tail - which would be less reliable and probably more expensive than a new slide.

It's hard to fault Sig when someone else appears to have screwed up your gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it fall out to the left side always? Need to peen the marks flat over there carefully, then use sight tool and some type of locking material after sight is centered. Adjust rear sight with sight pusher/tool to make sight corrections.
Yes always to the left, if I push the sight in and to the right it actually will snug up and fit but past the middle to the point where the front sight would be off center to the right side. The only other idea I had was to put loctite of some kind to permanently adhere the sight but of course you'd likely never be able to replace them when the tritium would run out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I sympathize with your situation, I'm not sure what else you expect Sig to do... :unsure:

You had sights installed by someone who appears to have either damaged or modified the dove tail on the slide. If the sight slides back and forth, it is no longer to spec (or you have the wrong sight, regardless of what you ordered). Sig offered you the solution - buy a new slide. The other alternative would be to have a machine shop fill in and recut the dove tail - which would be less reliable and probably more expensive than a new slide.

It's hard to fault Sig when someone else appears to have screwed up your gun.
You're right. I don't fault them. I just had wished potentially they had another option since obviously its such a "small" but large issue. I had hoped they would possibly be able to file it there or retool that front dovetail in some way. As I expected from this post, the most reliable option I suppose would be to purchase a new one and then have this other seemingly normal slide as a paper weight. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dovetail sights are slightly oversized and need to be fitted by sanding/stoning the bottom to ensure a tight fit.

At a guess, and this is just a guess, the smith removed too much material and the sight is now too small for the dovetail.

I would take it to another smith to have a new sight installed. The LGS where you purchased it may have someone to recommend.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
The manufacturer (Sig) has to cover their rump to warranty the product, hence a new slide. Sights are designed to be tight in the dovetail. It requires some lube on the sight as well as a good sight tool or in the case of older Springfield XD/XDMs about a 6 ton press. Always take it to someone that knows what they are doing. It may cost a bit more, but it only hurts once.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would expect the sight installer to fix this, not Sig.
Side note: I forgot to include this in my long initial post but this is actually the second time I had this issue. After it happened once, I had reached out to him and he was willing to peen the sight in. Stupid me, I didn't realize that would essentially render the slide untouchable from SIG. He didn't mention that of course but that was my fault for not thinking further down the line if there was still an issue. I trusted a little too much and initially when he returned the pistol to me it seemed extremely solid in there. It wasn't until I fired it again that I realized that didn't work. At this point I feel a little uncomfortable working with/speaking with him anymore despite his nice demeanor.

·
Registered
126 Posts
At this point call it a loss and buy a new slide assembly with X-RAY sights from SIG already installed if you can.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is a simple fix.

As mentioned above, dimpling the flat of the dovetail slot with a center punch will raise the material enough to hold the sight firmly.

Slightly peening the dovetail edges will also work, and thread locker isn't a bad idea, either.

Try Google; I bet there are dozens of Youtube videos out there that will show you all three methods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious, if you put the original sight back on is it loose too? The problem might be with the Truglow sight.
That's a good question actually, I haven't tried that yet. When I get home I will test that out and let you know the results. Worth an attempt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There were a couple of models that only came with regular dot sights. I think the stainless was one of them.
Correct, I did purchase this used but this stainless model was one of them before XRAY sights were the standard. I had double checked the factory label on the box to indicate that was the case and that they hadn't been messed with previously.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At this point call it a loss and buy a new slide assembly with X-RAY sights from SIG already installed if you can.
Would you recommend just the standard Sig slide again or do you think its worth spending a little extra to get an aftermarket high end slide? (albeit ill have to have sights installed on those as well)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Would you recommend just the standard Sig slide again or do you think its worth spending a little extra to get an aftermarket high end slide? (albeit ill have to have sights installed on those as well)
No reason to go aftermarket. If I were in your shoes I'd get a 365 Nitron slide with X-RAY sights and go back to carrying the pistol after verifying it is reliable for carry.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The "gunsmith" is the responsable for the terrible job...
Happened to me once and they will never accept that it was his fault, the slide is sitting on a drawer...my loss until I decide to mill it for a Red dot sight...

1 - 21 of 71 Posts