SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P320F-RX was cleaning it and felt the front sight move a bit. So I started messing with it and without much force I was able to slide it right out of the groove. Iv’e had this one about six months with 500 rds.

Just finished configuring it for night stand duty as I’ll EDC my Compact RX or M&P Shield throughout the summer. Up till now this RX has functioned perfectly.

When I did get the sight completely removed I noticed the groove was a little wet / oily. I’ve never soaked the slide in anything. All I do on the outside of the slide is wipe it down with CLP or gun oil. Do we need to take special care not to get any lube near the sights?

Calling SIG CS tomorrow. Do you know if SIG sends a complete box to mail it back or just the shipping label.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've watched vids of people removing the sight. it took a bunch of banging . did it break off, or actually come out of the dove tail
Nothing is broke. At first I could just move it, with my two fingers, back and forth in the dove tail. Then I just pushed it the rest of the way out with my thumb. There are no scratches or anything in the dove tail, its like there was never a sight installed. Strange.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nothing is broke. At first I could just move it, with my two fingers, back and forth in the dove tail. Then I just pushed it the rest of the way out with my thumb. There are no scratches or anything in the dove tail, its like there was never a sight installed. Strange.
i imagine you'll be shipping it back to sig. They'll take care of ya

·
Registered
392 Posts
i've watched vids of people removing the sight. it took a bunch of banging . did it break off, or actually come out of the dove tail
I just put a new orange/red Trijicon HD front sight on my carry P320 this morning. Actually it's Ameriglo made by Trijicon. Looks exactly the same to me and it was cheaper. Yes, it took a fair bit of hammering to get it off, but it wasn't horrible. I can't imagine it falling out on its own! This is the first time I've done sights with a proper pistol sight punch kit and it was great. I also have a generic sight pusher, but now I prefer using the punch.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I just shipped it off to SIG this morning. They just wanted the slide and not the whole gun. Glad I invested in a Caliber exchange kit some time back. CS guy just asked a few questions like what do I use to clean / lube it, how many rounds have been through it and what brands and bullet weights.

CS guy also stated that they are a little back logged on repairs but that "RX repair" gets a little higher priority. I work in IT support and tell some my users they get priority too...lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the return shipping notice email from SIG this morning, and I thought man they've only had it for a few days so I called them. The CS rep said they received it on Jun 29th (took 6 days FedEx ground from WA state to NH.) and replaced the front sight that same day. She said the front sight was out of spec and that's why it came loose in the dovetail slot. Funny it took 500rds. for the problem to surface.

So the slide should be here tomorrow FedEx 2nd day air.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Very strange. Took 400 rounds for my Compact RX front sight to come so loose I could remove it with my fingers. Went shooting today so I put it back on with a sight pusher and it felt tight. Ran 100 rounds of 124 gr. HST through the gun in a half hour and the sight stayed on tight. Since it is just a back up to the red dot I'm going to leave, if it comes off again I'll call Sig. Just strange that it was tight, then loose now tight again. Someone said they thought it had something to do with heat but after shooting today the front of my slide was too hot to touch.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Do we need to take special care not to get any lube near the sights?

Definitely not. In fact, do the opposite. My armorer's course instructor told us to make sure we get oil/ CLP to soak in near the front and rear sights, as the dove tail grooves are a common spot for rust.

Locktite can also help prevent rust, but shouldn't be needed. If this is happening to several peoples guns, I'd guess an out of spec batch of front sights were to blame. It's not unheard of...I recall when a batch of hammer pivot pins were out of spec and caused a rash of issues in the P226.

Stuff like this can happen with any manufacturer. A couple years ago when we switched to the Glock 17 from the Glock 22, about 5 of us had our front sights fall off at the first range day. Mine was one of them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Received my original slide back from SIG yesterday. Gunsmith comments were "replaced front sight". Pretty impressive turnaround, total 2 weeks from the time I dropped it off at FedEx. They actually fixed it the day they received it and sent it back out the door the next day.

I'll check zero on the sight and the Romeo1 next range trip.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Took my RX compact out today with the wife and she wanted to use the irons and not the Romeo. I noticed it was shooting to the left so a quick check of the front sight confirmed it had moved some to the right, it has less than 300 rds. through it.

Just used my sight pusher and it came out quite easily, red loctite tomorrow I guess.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Waiting on a shipping label for my RX. I have around 400 rounds through mine, I noticed the sight being loose while cleaning it. Obviously an issue with the suppressor sights. They asked for the complete pistol. I hope having an Apex trigger installed doesn't cause an issue with them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.