SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Froglube ='s fail X2.....,,,two different guns two failures.

As many might know of my first Froglube fail post. Well, it happened again except on a entirely different gun. My wife's HK USP Compact 9mm developed light primer strikes last week out of the blue. The gun failed to discharge any rounds reliably. This gun has been flawless for 15 years. Even after several strikes, the round would not go off.. This was with WWB but it also did it with Hornady CD and GoldenSaber. Sent the gun to HK on Monday and just got a call form them. The Froglube migrated into the firing pin and created a sludge. I wiped this gun down after the Froglube was applied but after a few range trips, the Froglube migrated into areas it was never applied to.
They have seen this before with Froglube and as soon as they could smell the lube, they did a full strip down to find the mess. That's two high end ultra reliable handguns that Froglube failed on. I am rather upset with this Froglube garbage and can't imagine if my wife actually had to use her HK for personal defence and herd nothing but a "click" sound. I am a experience shooter (Gunsite, IPSC, etc) and I am going on record to recommend you discontinue using Froglube.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I tried Froglube twice and it gummed up on me too. But, I thought it was an incompatibility with Cerakote because a lot of people I know said they were using it successfully - the only known difference was my guns were Cerakoted, and the others weren't.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I follows the instructions and treated about 15 of my handguns with the stuff. I wiped all of it off as per instructions so I got pretty good with the process. Now even if I didn't wipe all of it off,.....imagine how bad a product has to be to get a HK and Sig to fail? Both guns are designed to work even under the most extreme conditions. The "what could have happened" is what concerns me the most.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is why I stopped using FrogLube after trying it for a while on 3 pistols. I became concerned it would "migrate" into places I didn't want it to go (e.g. firing pin channel) as it heats up during firing. Some folks love the stuff, and that's great. I'll stick with TW25b and Ballistol.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Too much??? Froglube supplies a paint brush in their kits for application, I applied it with a q-tip. Even if I did use too much hypothetically, I wiped it all off as per instructions.
I am just documenting two cases of failure with empirical proof as well as a Armory stating they have seen this before . Any "gun treatment" that can cause a failure from use as directed isnt worth it. IMO. Remember, you are betting your life on using it. I can't ever remember seeing a clean gun treated with any other oil cause a failure to fire.

Its not like it failed a super tight 1911 custom or crappy value auto.
Both are two highly regarded combat pistols that are designed to run on anything and in any conditions.

You're using way too much Frog Lube to begin with. I mentioned this in the old thread.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Buncha ign'rant inbred hicks.

Canna even spell an' use 'em tenses proper in English.

Mah grease an mah oil's bettah than y'all's distilled crotch sweat :lol:

An' y'all canna be men cause y'all don' smoke th' same cigarettes as me :lol:

Reactions: Thunderkat

·
Registered
920 Posts
That brush is for the initial 'seasoning' - when you have warmed the *entire* gun which allows the FL to flow and leave only a very light coating. After that, just add a dot or two to a cleaning patch (or two or three) and run it over the entire gun, all surfaces, and then wipe it off after it drys. Go back and add a bit more to the barrel and slide surfaces; don't wipe. In the end, the gun looks dry.

I think this highlights the 'problem' with FrogLube. It has properties of both an oil and a grease. Nobody would provide a large glob of TW25b grease on their gun, except on the slides. If they did, they'd expect the TW25b to gum up something. Same with FrogLube.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I purchased my C3 from an instructor friend of mine that had cleaned/lubed with Frog lube. He had carried the gun for a few classes and it had gotten rained on. After getting the gun home and field stripping it I found the Frog lube didn't repel moisture the way oil does and had allowed some minor corrosion to begin to form inside the mag well. It looked like it had performed well enough as a lubricant, but I ended up detail stripping, cleaning and re-lubing with oil and tw-25.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I've managed to shoot and maintain all sorts of firearms for over 50 years without the need for Frog Lube and I'm going to try to tack on a few more. :)

Reactions: incar

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have not purchased any because I was told it smells like bengay....I hate the smell of bengay

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Its a dead ringer for Skoal wintergreen.

I have not purchased any because I was told it smells like bengay....I hate the smell of bengay

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used it for a while, didn't have any functionality problems.
I switched after seeing it cause fuzzy mold inside the stocks of a Nighthawk.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had a similar issue with FrogLube recently. I am going to try FireClean on my new CPO P229 to see if I like it better.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As many might know of my first Froglube fail post. Well, it happened again except on a entirely different gun. My wife's HK USP Compact 9mm developed light primer strikes last week out of the blue. The gun failed to discharge any rounds reliably. This gun has been flawless for 15 years. Even after several strikes, the round would not go off.. This was with WWB but it also did it with Hornady CD and GoldenSaber. Sent the gun to HK on Monday and just got a call form them. The Froglube migrated into the firing pin and created a sludge. I wiped this gun down after the Froglube was applied but after a few range trips, the Froglube migrated into areas it was never applied to.
They have seen this before with Froglube and as soon as they could smell the lube, they did a full strip down to find the mess. That's two high end ultra reliable handguns that Froglube failed on. I am rather upset with this Froglube garbage and can't imagine if my wife actually had to use her HK for personal defence and herd nothing but a "click" sound. I am a experience shooter (Gunsite, IPSC, etc) and I am going on record to recommend you discontinue using Froglube.
Sorry to hear you've had bad luck with it, I've only been using it since November and haven't had an issue. I always try to get the Q-Tips in there after every range visit. BTW the statement in your signature is sad, but priceless

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.