SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read so much about frog lube gumming up and all sorts of bad about it.

I heat the Parts that I am going to treat with the paste. I apply it with a brush and then lightly scrub with a soft toothbrush. I then let it sit for an hour or so. I wipe all parts off with a micro fiber cloth. I even do the FCU with froglube paste. After I am done everything is smooth and bone dry. I use a the solvent after the range to clean before the paste treatment.

So far I have had zero problems with froglube. I will continue using it because it is the best cleaning product I have ever used with gun cleaning.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Why waste all that time when you can just use M-Pro 7 and be done in minutes? Also, Ballistol is another great product for cleaning/lubing, as is CLP.

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
Good for you!

Lots of others find that it does horrible things to their guns.

I've never used as I have never felt a need to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't use it all the time but it's never given me an ounce of trouble seems to work lasts forever. Don't think i'll buy again haven't found a notable advantage to other products or methods. Just trying to use it up so will use it once in awhile.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Our very own forum member Mystro has well documented problems with Frog Lube. He applied according to instructions and it worked fine for him too until his wife's HK USP Compact failed to fire and HK determined it was caused by Frog Lube migrating into the firing pin channel and turning to sludge and that was not the first time they had seen the problem.

There are many high quality cleaning and lube products that don't ever turn to sludge including some that have Milspec ratings such as M-Pro and Slip 2000.

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/19112-froglube-fail-x2.html

As many might know of my first Froglube fail post. Well, it happened again except on a entirely different gun. My wife's HK USP Compact 9mm developed light primer strikes last week out of the blue. The gun failed to discharge any rounds reliably. This gun has been flawless for 15 years. Even after several strikes, the round would not go off.. This was with WWB but it also did it with Hornady CD and GoldenSaber. Sent the gun to HK on Monday and just got a call form them. The Froglube migrated into the firing pin and created a sludge. I wiped this gun down after the Froglube was applied but after a few range trips, the Froglube migrated into areas it was never applied to.
They have seen this before with Froglube and as soon as they could smell the lube, they did a full strip down to find the mess. That's two high end ultra reliable handguns that Froglube failed on. I am rather upset with this Froglube garbage and can't imagine if my wife actually had to use her HK for personal defence and herd nothing but a "click" sound. I am a experience shooter (Gunsite, IPSC, etc) and I am going on record to recommend you discontinue using Froglube.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tried FL, didn't like it. It did seem to gum up in the cold on a duty Glock and AR (could it have been me or the other officers and application? possibly, but, it really got thick in the cold where applied).

To each their own, I am not knocking it-Just my experience.

I do like G96 Synthetic oil and the grease. Held up well in all weather temperatures and conditions- easy to use. I like BF CLP too- used it for years.

Ballistol seems good- Just can't stand the smell!!!!!!!!
Lucas oils and grease seem to be good. I don't have enough experience with them yet. Still evaluating it.
TW25B and Mil-Comm lubes seem to be good too. Only experience is with TW25B. Seemed to work well.

I don't profess to be a expert or knowledgeable on the properties and make up of all the various CLP's, Lubes and Grease. I am just contributing to the forum and offering our real world experience with these products.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
G96 Synthetic oil and the grease. Held up well in all weather temperatures and conditions- easy to use.
I've also heard good reviews of G96. And it's not very expensive that I've seen. With so many products making it so quick and easy to thoroughly clean guns today I just cannot fathom why in the world anyone would want to use a product that takes so much time. :huh::confused:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Never used frog lube. I don't subscribe to snake oil. I have guns with thousands of rounds down range using regular solvents and oil or grease and never had a problem. Guns are in great condition and ready to go if needed.

I find that Lucas gun oils work really well. Its thick enough to stay in place and doesn't burn off with heat. I currently use Lucas extreme gun oil or shooters choice grease on my Sigs. The grease seems to make the gun cycle more smoothly that the oil.

·
Registered
451 Posts
At a shooting event, in the cold, we staged rifles at two stations. The rifles were treated with frog lube and they turned into single shots. The replacement rifle, also treated with frog lube, went down after being out in the cold. Proof enough for me.

·
Premium Member
18,517 Posts
Never used Frog Lube, but have used Seal1, a product developed by the creator of Frog Lube after he sold Frog Lube. Treated a Glock 19 with it, using the prescribed method of application by the developer, coated all the metal parts with Seal1 and heated in the oven at 225 degs F for a half an hour, then wiped the excess off. Repeated this process three times total, wiping the parts completely free of any excess prior to reassembling. Used the weapon immediately after at a three day point shooting class, experienced the only malfunction with this G19 ever during this class. This gun has gone with me to almost every training class I've taken, a couple of classes the G43 was used, the G19 has never let me down except that weekend with Seal1.

One thing I will say in favor of Seal1, the G19 was incredibly easy to clean after the class. 1,000 rounds fired and all the dirt and grime just wiped of with a paper towel when I got home. No need for brushes or solvents and just ran a clean patch down the bore.

·
Registered
511 Posts
M-Pro 7, Weapon Shield and Slip 2000 are just fantastic imo. Don't think I'll ever even try Frog Lube.
I agree... I've only personally used M-Pro 7, Weapon Shield and TW25B... no reason to try something else at this time. I'm OCD with cleaning and it doesn't take me that long to clean a pistol.

Reactions: sigke and 58418

·
Registered
773 Posts
I purchased a firearm that the previous owner used froglube. When I got it the lube was very thick and quagulated, as it came to me during cold weather. It had worked its way everywhere including sear essembly and firing pin channel. I spent about 1 1/2 hour disassembling and removing what looked and smelled like hardened used cooking grease.

I have personally never used the stuff, but with all the quality greases and lubes out thete why would anyone use this stuff. I always thought it looked gimmicky.

Might as well use cooking oil to replace your engine oil.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I haven't personally used it, but I have seen it do some nasty things to AR15 BCG.

Slip2000 or Mil-Comm products for me. Been using them in all sorts of weather conditions and environments and never had an issue with either product.

TXPO

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
I've read many threads from happy, as well as dissatisfied, users. I've never used it, and won't. There are too many other solid options, and too many unhappy people, to risk it.
I do disagree with you, Jive- there is plenty of proof that it has some nasty, negative attributes.

Used to be, one local gun shop sold Froglube. Now, there isn't a single shop in my area that sells it. There must be good reasons.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have read so much about frog lube gumming up and all sorts of bad about it.

I heat the Parts that I am going to treat with the paste. I apply it with a brush and then lightly scrub with a soft toothbrush. I then let it sit for an hour or so. I wipe all parts off with a micro fiber cloth. I even do the FCU with froglube paste. After I am done everything is smooth and bone dry. I use a the solvent after the range to clean before the paste treatment.

So far I have had zero problems with froglube. I will continue using it because it is the best cleaning product I have ever used with gun cleaning.
Any "lubricant" that has the unintended potential to migrate into places it was never applied to and create a sludge should be taken off the market. We are not talking about a space hearter here.. We are talking about the very real potential of your self defense weapon not working when needed. We are talking about life and death.

I am a SLIP 2000 EWG/CLP kind of guy.. I have absolutely no deisre to change that. Especially for anythign like Frog Lube. I see law suits coming from it's use.. May already have had some..

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have used frog lube for years with zero issues. The problem is people buy it and apply it like Hoppe's or Breakfree or what ever. My brother-in-law did just that and his guns were all gummed up. The problem is not with Frog Lube, it's with the people that use it and never read the directions. The proper way to Frog Lube a firearm is to
1: Disassemble and clean your gun with a de-greaser like Brakleen
2: Using a hair drier heat the parts to hot to the touch.
3: Apply Frog Lube to all parts liberally, you may need to re-heat them as you work, and then let it sit for 30-40 minutes.
4: Wipe off all parts and re-assemble gun

If applied properly Frog Lube works really good.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts