SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one of these? I have one with an 8" barrel, and am planning on changing it out for a 4" barrel. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have one and like it a lot. I have the fx-9 4.5, sort of wished I could have got the 8". LOL.

Advice? None of any consequence other that the sight radius is super short if you put on iron sights.
Here is my final configuration.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wanna trade barrels? Emailed the company, and they claim the barrels are proprietary. Wish I had done that BEFORE ordering a 4 inch barrel, sigh.

I do not have a photo of mine. Should get one, since I am making changes. I have a Sylvan Arms folding adapter arriving soon, the 4" barrel on its way, and on the hunt for a new handguard to fit over the suppressor on the short barrel. At least that was the plan. I may have to find someone to trim the factory barrel down to 4", and then thread it.

·
Premium Member
10,478 Posts
I have one and like it a lot. I have the fx-9 4.5, sort of wished I could have got the 8". LOL.

Advice? None of any consequence other that the sight radius is super short if you put on iron sights.
Here is my final configuration.

If it's like most blowback AR-9's, you should be able to replace the barrel with an aftermarket, if you can find what you want in stock. Assume that this takes Glock mags?

https://www.primaryarms.com/CaliberGauge+9mm-Luger/MCategories+AR-15-Barrels

There's an 8.5" in stock at Joe Bob's....

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/9MM-AR15-Barrels-s/158504.htm

Then get a 7" handguard.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is mine. Holosun 403, green, Liberty 9mm suppressor. Odin Works adjustable weight buffer to get the dang thing to cycle properly with 147gr subsonics and the can. Some backup sights I had in the parts drawer.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Met up with Tnronin today, along with Mrs. Tnronin. It was a nice meeting, enjoyed the time we got to talk with them. He and I traded our uppers, and I came away happy. Hopefully he did too. Thank you, sir, for helping me with my short barrel upgrade!

I will have to get out and shoot it now. I have the Odin Works adjustable weight buffer, and with the Sylvan Arms folding adapter, the bolt extension, and now the short barrel, I am looking forward to the fun of fine tuning it to run again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Met up with Tnronin today, along with Mrs. Tnronin. It was a nice meeting, enjoyed the time we got to talk with them. He and I traded our uppers, and I came away happy. Hopefully he did too. Thank you, sir, for helping me with my short barrel upgrade!

I will have to get out and shoot it now. I have the Odin Works adjustable weight buffer, and with the Sylvan Arms folding adapter, the bolt extension, and now the short barrel, I am looking forward to the fun of fine tuning it to run again.
It was a pleasure meeting you guys too! I've already set up the pistol. It was a good trade for me as well!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got things together today, mostly. Here is what it looks like now -

and with the suppressor -

Took it down to the range for a function test, and it ran 13 rounds of SIG 147gr subsonics just fine. Whew! I really did not want to mess with the buffer weight and spring again. Freedom Ordnance said their barrels are proprietary, and here is what they look like

I bought their barrel wrench because I thought I might have to have the original barrel cut down, but Tnronin came thru for me. I are very happy.

Now I am on the hunt for a 7" to 10" free float hand guard that fits over the suppressor. Needs to be 1.67" inside diameter. I can find some, but the ones I want, or willing to pay for, are not in stock.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have an 8"one (I thought it was 7", but who cares?) and it's a lot of fun I found a crazy deal on some big Korean Glock mags for it and bought a half dozen of them for like $65. Five of them worked perfectly and the one just had a slightly pinched lip on it. A hunk of wood and a couple of whacks with a mallet and it was 100% too. Except for a couple of bent up cases in boxes of bulk ammo I had bought years ago, it eats anything. I think the FX-9 is a great bargain compared to some other 9mm AR type guns I've shot that function no better, and aren't any more accurate for 3X the price.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Took it down to the range for a function test, and it ran 13 rounds of SIG 147gr subsonics just fine. Whew! I really did not want to mess with the buffer weight and spring again. Freedom Ordnance said their barrels are proprietary, and here is what they look like

I bought their barrel wrench because I thought I might have to have the original barrel cut down, but Tnronin came thru for me. I are very happy.

Now I am on the hunt for a 7" to 10" free float hand guard that fits over the suppressor. Needs to be 1.67" inside diameter. I can find some, but the ones I want, or willing to pay for, are not in stock.
Glad its functioning for you!

The secret for the HG is availability. At least you got a good start.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally found an in stock hand guard so I bought it. Got it on, and now the gun is the way I wanted it to be. So far it runs fine with no adjustment to the buffer weights. When I get time between gutter cleaning, mulching leaves, and the rest of life's chores, I will get the sights dialed in at 25 yards. I really like the compact package now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Very nice, I’m debating putting A hand guard over the surpressor, any concerns with that far as injury ? It certainly looks awesome

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice, I’m debating putting A hand guard over the surpressor, any concerns with that far as injury ? It certainly looks awesome
No, no concerns for me. Sure is better than the itty bitty 2" handguard with the short barrel. Now, the handguard over the suppressor means I won't put my hand directly on the freaking hot thing no matter what. I put the finger/hand/barricade stop whatchamacallit on the end so I don't run my hand out too far. Works well for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Can I ask how did you make the sylvan folder work

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can I ask how did you make the sylvan folder work
Not to be a wise guy, but just put it on. It was a direct fit, followed directions, and all was well. Came with everything needed to put it on. My wrench does not fit inbetween the adapter and the receiver, so I used a block of wood and a hammer for final tightening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally found an in stock hand guard so I bought it. Got it on, and now the gun is the way I wanted it to be. So far it runs fine with no adjustment to the buffer weights. When I get time between gutter cleaning, mulching leaves, and the rest of life's chores, I will get the sights dialed in at 25 yards. I really like the compact package now.

Not to be a wise guy, but just put it on. It was a direct fit, followed directions, and all was well. Came with everything needed to put it on. My wrench does not fit inbetween the adapter and the receiver, so I used a block of wood and a hammer for final tightening.
i understand the adapter is a perfect fit but the bolt extension is a bigger diameter than the inside diameter of the bcg correct

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i understand the adapter is a perfect fit but the bolt extension is a bigger diameter than the inside diameter of the bcg correct
I purchased my stuff from Sylvan Arms. Quote from their page -

– 9mm bolt carriers with 5/8 ID (.625) standard sizing can use the bolt extension included, after removing the pin and weight from the bolt carrier
– 17/32 .531 bolt extension for smaller bolt carriers is available here

I used that part on my FX-9.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my stuff from Sylvan Arms. Quote from their page -

– 9mm bolt carriers with 5/8 ID (.625) standard sizing can use the bolt extension included, after removing the pin and weight from the bolt carrier
– 17/32 .531 bolt extension for smaller bolt carriers is available here

I used that part on my FX-9.
Awesome thank you that’s what I needed freedom ordnance said I wouldn’t work

1 - 20 of 23 Posts