SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a PSA for those who use FM. Personally been pretty happy with them and have shot around 5000 rounds with no issues, both reloads and new. Well yesterday I had a squib load with their "new" 124g FMJ 9mm. Was actually at a range trying out a rental gun (shield) and saw the little "poof" out of the ejection port. Stopped, dissembled the gun and there it was sitting in the barrel.

Pretty disappointed with the ammo, have well over 1000 rounds left. For those of you who may be using FM, be careful and keep a watchful eye out.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for the PSA. If this is a more general problem (rather than an isolated incident), hopefully you've helped prevent a really bad situation. Especially, with the many new shooters/owners surfacing, some may not even know what you're referring to. Its important to watch out for.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Reach out to them, they will want to know details from the box and they will very much take care of it for you and they will likely determine if it's a bigger problem. There customer service is top notch.
agreed. My first purchase from them was 3,000 rnds of what they used to call Blaster ammo, the finish wasn't pretty, but they passed all other inspections. 4 out of the 3,000 had the bullet seated too deep. They offered to replace them, but I gave them to the range to dispose of. I would expect they would take good care of you. If you do contact them, please update the status.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
FWIW, a couple years ago I bought a couple boxes of American Eagle 45ACP by Federal at Academy sports. I've used this ammo for years, and it has always been reliable; however, on this day at the range I had two rounds in a row squib on me. In each case the projectile actually exited the barrel, but the casing split in the chamber causing a FTE the casing. These things can happen with any ammunition, so if you have 5000 trouble free rounds with these guys I would suggest you reach out to the, as yellowlt7 recommended. I've heard good reviews from FM.

Reactions: jorkvilleyoe

·
Registered
899 Posts
Bit of a PSA for those who use FM. Personally been pretty happy with them and have shot around 5000 rounds with no issues, both reloads and new. Well yesterday I had a squib load with their "new" 124g FMJ 9mm. Was actually at a range trying out a rental gun (shield) and saw the little "poof" out of the ejection port. Stopped, dissembled the gun and there it was sitting in the barrel.

Pretty disappointed with the ammo, have well over 1000 rounds left. For those of you who may be using FM, be careful and keep a watchful eye out.
You've shot over 5000 rounds, have had one squib, am I reading that correctly?

One squib and now you want to avoid it?

I've had squibs on factory new Speer products. And underpowered rounds on Federal.

Now, if you have other issues, then it's a different conversation.

Any manufacturing process has a defect rate. Even at 6sigma level. Think about how many millions of rounds each company spits out in a month, year.

No, I'm not absolving FM. Not at all. They have some well-discussed issues from time to time.

But if you're going to make a judgement to dump a manufacturer over a single squib in over 5000 rounds, I'm not sure what more I can say.

Maintain that philosophy, keep shooting enough rounds and you'll eventually be out of manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Reach out to them, they will want to know details from the box and they will very much take care of it for you and they will likely determine if it's a bigger problem. There customer service is top notch.
I did before I posted. Good to hear the cs is good, waiting to hear back from them. Not expecting anything from them but did make them aware of the issue. As mentioned, been happy with them and still have 1000 rounds so will obviously keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
36,825 Posts
FWIW, a couple years ago I bought a couple boxes of American Eagle 45ACP by Federal at Academy sports. I've used this ammo for years, and it has always been reliable; however, on this day at the range I had two rounds in a row squib on me. In each case the projectile actually exited the barrel, but the casing split in the chamber causing a FTE the casing. These things can happen with any ammunition, so if you have 5000 trouble free rounds with these guys I would suggest you reach out to the, as yellowlt7 recommended. I've heard good reviews from FM.
Technically not a squib since the bullet cleared the barrel.
Could you tell why the casings cracked ?
Was it blackened ie not enough powder ?

I have had two squibs and will never forget either.
One long ago of 44 mag in a S&W model 29. Probably Federal, but to long to remember. It was factory range ammo sold by the range.
One recently this decade with a 400 Corbon made by Corbon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I personally can add thousands more, .45 + 9 + 5.56/223 and between me and two other friends tens of thousands of rounds we've shot with them. My other friend uses 10mm also. I have never had an issue that was ammo related. Gun.... yes. Ill explain.

For there to be a round or two in several thousand rounds wouldn't make me blink at all.

As for the one thing that I have had to do while using their ammo. Is ONLY shoot new brass from them in my 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian. The issue is the match barrel this gun has. What happens is that Previously fired brass from guns with an unsupported chamber (Glock, etc) can be slightly too tight and may not chamber all the way, or one caseing was stuck so tight I had to get ugly with it to extract it. I don't knock the ammo for the super tight chamber of the DW match barrel.

My solution? not to stop using their ammo (which I prefer to use), but to only buy new ammo from them for THAT gun; and to shoot reman out of everything else. Others that have had this issue have reamed the chamber out a bit, but I'll just use new from that gun. My glock, both 226's, 938 etc all function fine with any of their ammo.

Now.... I DID have some locally reloaded ammo that did cause some issues. A long time ago I bought some for my G19. and in a thousand rounds I had 3-4 rounds that fired and left the bullet in the barrel. Luckily I felt that the recoil was different, and it didn't chamber the next round. So, like a good boy I examined the firearm and saw the barrel was obstructed. Disassembled, use a brass punch to drive the bullet out, and back in business. Was a little interesting the first time, but not a deal breaker for me to use up the ammo.

As stated, ANY company can have a few issues with manufacturing. Its how they handle the issues, and what the failure rate is that would bother me. If you shoot enough and long enough if you stopped using ammo from companies that had an issue; you'd soon be left with no choices.... Or have to completely make your own. lol.

·
Premium Member
36,825 Posts
I personally can add thousands more, .45 + 9 + 5.56/223 and between me and two other friends tens of thousands of rounds we've shot with them. My other friend uses 10mm also. I have never had an issue that was ammo related. Gun.... yes. Ill explain.

For there to be a round or two in several thousand rounds wouldn't make me blink at all.

As for the one thing that I have had to do while using their ammo. Is ONLY shoot new brass from them in my 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian. The issue is the match barrel this gun has. What happens is that Previously fired brass from guns with an unsupported chamber (Glock, etc) can be slightly too tight and may not chamber all the way, or one caseing was stuck so tight I had to get ugly with it to extract it. I don't knock the ammo for the super tight chamber of the DW match barrel.

My solution? not to stop using their ammo (which I prefer to use), but to only buy new ammo from them for THAT gun; and to shoot reman out of everything else. Others that have had this issue have reamed the chamber out a bit, but I'll just use new from that gun. My glock, both 226's, 938 etc all function fine with any of their ammo.

Now.... I DID have some locally reloaded ammo that did cause some issues. A long time ago I bought some for my G19. and in a thousand rounds I had 3-4 rounds that fired and left the bullet in the barrel. Luckily I felt that the recoil was different, and it didn't chamber the next round. So, like a good boy I examined the firearm and saw the barrel was obstructed. Disassembled, use a brass punch to drive the bullet out, and back in business. Was a little interesting the first time, but not a deal breaker for me to use up the ammo.

As stated, ANY company can have a few issues with manufacturing. Its how they handle the issues, and what the failure rate is that would bother me. If you shoot enough and long enough if you stopped using ammo from companies that had an issue; you'd soon be left with no choices.... Or have to completely make your own. lol.
I had that bulge problem with a Bar-sto barrel and a lot of already purchased Ram reloaded sold locally.
I stood the barrel up on my desk and dropped rounds in.
About 20% would not go, and my 220-9mm ate them fine.
The rest the Bar-sto Shot fine with.
Took an hour or so on a Saturday morning.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update. I had contacted FM just to make them aware of the issue, they offered to have me send back the ammo, which was good of them but I actually declined. I knew I would be shooting this weekend and wanted the ammo. So that was good on their part. Shot 400 rounds today, a mix of their reloads and the 124g new and fortunately no issues.

Hopefully I get through the rest of the ammo from them with no issues, have about 750 rounds left.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Thanks for posting! Pretty scary to think, what if I'm practicing double taps or rapid fire?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had one squib in 10 years and 100,000 rounds+. It was Remington. I wrote them, hadn't even saved the bullet or case, and they sent a new box. A couple years ago I had some light strikes with Freedom 124gr reman. Wrote them and they sent a couple replacement boxes. Once had a case of American Eagle where I found several rounds set deep in the brass case. Tossed them in my bag and moved on.

The point is, with millions of rounds made by machines each year, a few won't be right and will be missed by QC. I've found that manufacturers are responsive and want to hear about issues -- that's why they put batch numbers on boxes. As a shooter, I make sure I look at every round before it goes in the mag, and I maintain awareness to stop if something doesn't sound right. It doesn't absolve the company, but I prefer awareness over regret.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Thanks for posting! Pretty scary to think, what if I'm practicing double taps or rapid fire?
We ALL should keep in mind that this can happen with any manufacturer. I have never experienced a squib, hope I never do.

Reactions: Mills and asdfzxcv

·
Registered
67 Posts
No different than firing slow. You stop when something doesn't sound right. You should never be shooting so fast you aren't aware of what the gun is doing. Truth is, you'll likely notice the "poof" instead of the bang. The issue comes when folks ignore it. Thankfully, I think more often then not the gun won't go cycle or go into battery for the next shot.

·
Premium Member
36,825 Posts

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
I really can't describe the sound well. It is a pop, but a lot less power, so now after experiencing 2 I am very aware of the sound.

There is a good video of a woman with a squib she did not notice, but the range officer several lanes away caught it and started yelling to not fire.
With muffs on, the RO was aware and heard it.

I had one with a match grade Bar-sto barrel, and it would not allow the next bullet into the chamber.
Evidently air pressure was stopping it. I had not noticed and it took awhile to dawn on me.
That made me very aware of sound, and cycle.
The cycle can be complete, but will not feel normal at all.

Here is a video of a couple squibs the range officer caught.

Reactions: asdfzxcv
1 - 17 of 17 Posts