SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I found a used P225 made in W. Germany and imported by SIG Arms when they were in Herndon, VA. I found a post that led me to believe it was made in 1988 (Sig Sauer Classic P-Series - Serial Number List and associated manufacture/import years/information - Topic). It looks like it's in good condition but I admittedly have no idea how to know that for sure since I'm basing that opinion on how the outside of the gun looks. Being a California resident, I have to wait 30 days between purchases and really want new P226 so I'm a bit torn as to whether I should grab this 225 while I can and get the 226 later. Pictures below. I guess I'm just looking for your opinions around this particular 225 and if it's something you would or wouldn't pass up on buying if you found one (and why if you don't mind).

I should also mention I've only been firing pistols for about a month now and this will be my first purchase. I'm not sure if that helps with any advice you may have for me but part of me feels like I shouldn't be buying a used gun for my first purchase.

·
Registered
55,782 Posts
i think a bit high priced for condition, welcome from az

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply and welcome, bearone2! In terms of collect-ability, how would you rate this? The more and more I think about why I want this gun, the more I'm realizing I'm choosing it for the wrong reasons. Ah, decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
55,782 Posts
the exterior is pretty rough, good as a shooter but not much in the way of collect-ability.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
LNIB condition on the errornet for less that 475. Check guns international.
Bear gave you the correct skinny,good shooter ,probably never be a big have to have for collectors

·
Registered
467 Posts
The gun has no collector value at all. Herndon samples are readily available. The P225 was discontinued and replaced by the P239 for a reason. From what we can see of the gun, it's not worth the price. The P225 itself is not a sound buy for most shooters these days. There are better options.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you ALL very much for your detailed replies and advice. What a great forum, peace of mind is a wonderful thing! I'm going to pass this one up and get a new P226. Now on to deciding which caliber but that would be another thread I suppose.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
9mm and .40 S&W are both great choices. If you're going to be shooting it a lot and want to save money, go nine. If you're going to be carrying it, go .40, with the provision of switching to .357 Sig with a barrel swap.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hell, just go .40 and buy the 9mm conversion barrel and recoil spring.

·
Premium Member
36,527 Posts
Thank you ALL very much for your detailed replies and advice. What a great forum, peace of mind is a wonderful thing! I'm going to pass this one up and get a new P226. Now on to deciding which caliber but that would be another thread I suppose.
I have a 229-40 that shoots 9mm like it was made for 9. Bar-sto conversion barrels are about 215.00. All I needed was a 9mm recoil spring and my 40 magazines. You can't go up in caliber. A 40 can get you a 357sig and or a 9mm.
Another thought I strongly suggest is check out the 229. Since you debated the 225-226, the 229 is right in between. Smaller carry and a great target gun for the range. I had a 226 at one time, and I can't say it did any better at the range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
P-6

Unless you are seeking a 225 for some reason, Widener's has the P6 for under $400 - I bought one and it looks new! Shoots great (excellent trigger in single action) and came with two magazines.

The P6, as you probably know, is the military version of the 225.
John
Charlotte, NC

·
Registered
145 Posts
grab that thing! I sold my P6 and kind of regret doing so. You won't regret buying an older 80's Sig. A P226 is always on the shelf.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
That seems high... I recently purchased a P6 that appears to be nicer looking than the one in the photos... I paid $455 for the "Made in West Germany" Sig...

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
First off is the gun actually here in CA or did you find it online? If it's here in CA then I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. I agree with the others that it is probably overpriced. However, most of the other members don't understand how our stupid CA laws work and what the DOJ roster is. The P225 is no longer on the CA safe handgun roster so if you ever wanted or would want a P225, this may be your only chance. The only way to buy a P225 in CA is to find a used one at a shop that was traded-in/on-consignment, or a FTF. I would definitely be willing to overpay in this situation. Other than that, the roster rules apply and probably not going to happen. The P226 is on the roster and can be purchased anytime.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts