SIG Talk banner

For those with a P229 and legacy slide...

478 14
I am interested in picking up a Vedder OWB holster. They have several options for the P229. My P229 has the legacy slide with half height cocking serrations. In their drop-down menu they have an option for the 9mm legacy slide, but mine is 40/357. Is the outer dimension of the 40/357 larger or the same as 9mm with legacy slide?
Reactions: TerminalSigness
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
P228 Sherpa
8,071 Posts
Slight differences. How they translate into holster fit, I have no idea.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,087 Posts
Font Automotive tire Auto part Gadget Bumper

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slight differences. How they translate into holster fit, I have no idea.

While a very slight difference, it may be significant enough to bind in the holster. I will have to call Vedder CS and see what they recommend. Thank you for the info!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
While a very slight difference, it may be significant enough to bind in the holster. I will have to call Vedder CS and see what they recommend. Thank you for the info!
While this has nothing to do with Vedder holsters, I thought I would share my experience with Bravo Concealment holsters, for reference.

I have a couple BC OWB holsters, and the one for my P365 really fits very well.

When selecting your model on BC's website, they have different selections for the P320 9mm and P320 40 cal, but they only have one holster for 9/40.

The one for my P320 fits well when I am configured in 9mm. However, when I have my 40/357 slide installed, it is definitely tighter, and retention activation does not feel as crisp when locking in to the trigger guard.

When I experienced this issue, I contacted BC customer service, and sent pictures at their request. I happened to have my 357 barrel installed, and they told me the holster only supports the 9 and 40, but not the 357.

I've spoken with two different people at BC, and tried to explain that there are two different size slides, 9mm or 40/357, and the larger 40/357 slide can hold either barrel, but they just don't get it.

So this slight difference in width/height does make a difference.

If BC is not going to offer two different sized holsters, they should only offer it for the 9mm and remove the 40 cal reference from their offerings.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While this has nothing to do with Vedder holsters, I thought I would share my experience with Bravo Concealment holsters, for reference.

I have a couple BC OWB holsters, and the one for my P365 really fits very well.

When selecting your model on BC's website, they have different selections for the P320 9mm and P320 40 cal, but they only have one holster for 9/40.

The one for my P320 fits well when I am configured in 9mm. However, when I have my 40/357 slide installed, it is definitely tighter, and retention activation does not feel as crisp when locking in to the trigger guard.

When I experienced this issue, I contacted BC customer service, and sent pictures at their request. I happened to have my 357 barrel installed, and they told me the holster only supports the 9 and 40, but not the 357.

I've spoken with two different people at BC, and tried to explain that there are two different size slides, 9mm or 40/357, and the larger 40/357 slide can hold either barrel, but they just don't get it.

So this slight difference in width/height does make a difference.

If BC is not going to offer two different sized holsters, they should only offer it for the 9mm and remove the 40 cal reference from their offerings.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,087 Posts
^^^^ He's asking Legacy 9 vs Legacy .40/.357. The answer is in the link I posted.
I thought ThnkFrst's comparison was of Legacy Slides, I didn't check closely before posting.

Reactions: MultiSync

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
I don’t particularly like kydex holsters, though I have acquired many over the years. I sometimes end up with duplicates.🤷‍♂️ I have noticed, that if I stick a legacy slide P229-9 into a holster for a Legacy P229-40-357, it will secure properly at the trigger guard, while having a rattle at the slide area. So….I would say it was enough difference to matter.

I loan holsters to new shooters, so that they can make informed choices before spending money, so I keep a large assortment, that I have no intention of using. If I was even slightly inclined, I would label them better, to eliminate the trial fittings. 😳

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I don’t particularly like kydex holsters, though I have acquired many over the years. I sometimes end up with duplicates.🤷‍♂️ I have noticed, that if I stick a legacy slide P229-9 into a holster for a Legacy P229-40-357, it will secure properly at the trigger guard, while having a rattle at the slide area. So….I would say it was enough difference to matter.

I loan holsters to new shooters, so that they can make informed choices before spending money, so I keep a large assortment, that I have no intention of using. If I was even slightly inclined, I would label them better, to eliminate the trial fittings. 😳
Obviously there are good and bad holsters in both Kydex and leather. What is it in general about Kydex that you don’t like?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Obviously there are good and bad holsters in both Kydex and leather. What is it in general about Kydex that you don’t like?
You didn’t ask me but I was kind of the same way. I steered away from kydex for years because it was sort of rigid compared to leather when worn inside the pants, especially AIWB. Instead I stuck with horse hide from High Noon Holsters from the state of Florida where I reside. I had a few pistols acquire rapid muzzle and slide wear which from kydex which looking back was most likely due to cheap designs. The company I’ve been buying my kydex from lately, Badger Concealment, has not given me those issues.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You didn’t ask me but I was kind of the same way. I steered away from kydex for years because it was sort of rigid compared to leather when worn inside the pants, especially AIWB. Instead I stuck with horse hide from High Noon Holsters from the state of Florida where I reside. I had a few pistols acquire rapid muzzle and slide wear which from kydex which looking back was most likely due to cheap designs. The company I’ve been buying my kydex from lately, Badger Concealment, has not given me those issues.
For IWB I can see that. I’m a OWB guy so not a consideration in my case.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Never found a kydex bush, in the wild, but I have come across a few hide bearing critters, just wandering around, looking for a leather worker. 👍 Oh.……And I’m old. 😳

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
With many (if not most) kydex holster companies, the difference will matter. For injection molded holsters, I'm pretty sure it will always matter. Leather holsters will usually not matter, but you need to check with the holster company.

Usually if it is only for 9mm they will at least say "9mm" (if they don't have a disclaimer for .40/.357).

If you find a kydex holster you really like that only fits 9mm, you can usually use a heat gun to accommodate the extra width in the slide, but be careful not to change the trigger guard portion of the holster (which is the most important part). My AIWB holster is a 9mm kydex that I had to modify to fit my .357.

Reactions: MultiSync
1 - 15 of 15 Posts