SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live in a restricted state, why do folks buy guns, particularly handguns, designed for much larger capacities? It seems to me that a firearm designed for a slimmer single stack, shorter mag, or simply a smaller gun would make more sense.
Thanks for your replies. I know how I would answer the question but always looking to hear other perspectives.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
In Kommiefornia you buy what the government tells you you are allowed to buy. It must be on the approved list (which is quite short) unless you are an annointed one and then you can just buy what you like. Other restricted states have similar lists. For some states the weapon has to have certain features and some gun makers won't make them in that fashion, hence that weapon is not allowed to be sold in that anti-American state.

Reactions: BajaJames

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can’t speak for other states but in Kalifornia standard capacity magazines are grandfathered in plus there was freedom week so just because the state is restrictive doesn’t mean one can’t have a gun with normal capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: BajaJames

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
I get your question. That’s exactly why my EDC is a P239. However, there’s been changes to the law, and I was able to buy full capacity magazines last year. We had a week where the mag law was overturned.

I guess to answer your question, SCOTUS can make it all go away, so we’re forever hopeful.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I have some that are naturally less than 10 rounds (1911s, M&P Shield). Some that are close (12 rounds full cap) so 10's are close. Some that naturally take 15-17 rounds but are still good guns despite being limited to 10 rounds. I do have some "freedom week" mags and hope that Duncan vs Becerra will conclude in our favor.

In fact, my avatar shows 2. My SP2022 and 320.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I'll also add, in California, we're limited to FFL purchases from a roster of "not unsafe" handguns. So many "less than 10" are still restricted unless purchasing on the private market (in this case, prices can be 2x-3x). Even revolvers can be restricted but there are always ways to get what you want if you are willing to pay the price.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I’m limited to 10 rounds as well unless they are older grandfathered mags from older Made pistols, ie p226,p229, beretta 92fs, g17/19, etc. But even if I could carry anything I wanted I wouldn’t because of the size. I prefer pocket or compact pistols.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If you live in a restricted state, why do folks buy guns, particularly handguns, designed for much larger capacities? It seems to me that a firearm designed for a slimmer single stack, shorter mag, or simply a smaller gun would make more sense.
Thanks for your replies. I know how I would answer the question but always looking to hear other perspectives.
Why do people commute in giant SUVS or pickups?

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bigger guns are easier to shoot well and are also easier to draw out of the holster. When that full size grip fills your hand on the draw and you index perfectly because you are not fumbling around with a short, skinny grip, it’s all worth it. These days I don’t carry anything less than a compact sized weapon and sometimes full sized. I have big hands though so it works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
45 Posts
My son bought a Glock 19 with 4 10 round mags. He really wanted the firearm - but was limited to what he could get in CA. He is having me (in NC) buy hi cap mags for the 19 because when he moves to a free state, he'll have the higher capacity mags. CA has a specific list of what residents can buy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I can s a few reasons why they might own larger capacity magazines.
  • Frequently guns with larger capacities are larger and heavier, and that may translate into easier to accurately shoot and control
  • hopeful that it will change in future
  • if the magazines are grandfathered in
  • If you previously had and liked the gun before the magazines became illegal
  • If you travel, or think might in future move, to states where the magazines aren’t limited

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last time I visited my home state of The Peoples Republic of California, I accidentally brought my Sig P226 with full capacity mags. When friends and I went to the outdoor range we were having a great time... Right up till the range officer tapped me on the shoulder and HIGHLY suggested that I put my magazines in the trunk and cover them with the spare tire, carpet, blanket and even a dead body, as that would be less trouble than a high capacity mag. in CA.

The reason for me is that the manufacturer has designed a firearm that holds the maximum amount of ammunition while at the same time being ergonomic for my grip. Even if I was to move back to a state that didn't allow it, I would still prefer the high cap. gun design.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Maryland we can OWN and Possess the greater than 10 capacity mags. We just can't BUY or Mail then to ourselves. To get around this we can go to neighboring States and buy them and bring them back or have them shipped to friends and family in other states and bring them back after visiting them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m going to have to go behind enemy lines in commiefornia for a short trip and want to bring my P365 XL, which has 12 & 15 round magazines. I notice there is a company called Magazineblock that sells 2 & 5 round mag blocks for this pistol...first, do these mag blocks cause any function issues in the P365xl...secondly, are the blocks supposed to be epoxied or otherwise made permanently to be legal in CA?

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I’m going to have to go behind enemy lines in commiefornia for a short trip and want to bring my P365 XL, which has 12 & 15 round magazines. I notice there is a company called Magazineblock that sells 2 & 5 round mag blocks for this pistol...first, do these mag blocks cause any function issues in the P365xl...secondly, are the blocks supposed to be epoxied or otherwise made permanently to be legal in CA?
I can't speak to the 365 mags, but I've used them in my M&Ps, Mini 14 and AR mags without issue.

The CA Penal code does NOT define "permanent". Mine had pop rivets in the base plate. Many folks make their own blocks using dowels and "glue" them under the follower. Once you're back out, you can break/cut them off. Just keep in mind you won't be able to CC while in state so depending on the nature of your trip and where you'll be, you might consider just leaving it home.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I would think that a P220 Carry or a 1911 Carry in 45ACP with 8 + 1 might be enough to go to the beer store in CA when one is there visiting.
If you do not own one, your visit should excuse enough to buy one. :)

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for everyone’s replies. I pretty much agree with all that was posted. I was thinking only of mag capacity restrictions, not states with lists of “approved” firearms. Thanks for reminding us.
I think if I was dealing with those types of restrictions I would simply EDC one of my .357 mag six guns. Seems simpler.
As for long guns I don’t find 10 rd mags a liability in a semi auto centerfire rifle. But I see the potential. Thanks More than 5-8 in a shotgun gets unwieldy. And for my rimfires, there are work arounds.
Of course the answer is buy what you like and/or can afford. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts