SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my being here on this forum doesn't say it, I am a dyed in the wool SIG guy. I own several and mainly carry SIGs routinely in either 9mm or .45ACP.

I have had nothing but bad luck when it comes to extended mags for SIGs. And I've given up. Its okay, although mildly disappointing, but all the same I trust my life to SIG (mostly) and Walther and Springfield Armory. Even SIG has recognized this obstacle and they've sent me replacement mag after replacement mag and I just figured its not meant to be.

Question: Are there any other gun makers that have this problem with extended mags?

A buddy of mine who is a SWAT guy and part-time range officer opines that the reason the extended mags don't work well is because of the extension for the pinky finger and when squeezing there's a tendency to push down and that is causing the mag to drop. I don't know if I buy into that. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I don't buy that theory, the 2022 mags have a base plate that the pinky rests on and you almost NEVER hear about problems with them. All the sub compacts like the 320 and 224 (plus all the non Sig guns like the XDs and what not) have extended mags to make them full size grips and no one reports problems with them.

Not saying your friend hasn't seen it happen but it was probably a feed lip problem or a spring problem or might have not even been a factory mag, something like a Pro Mag that has a mag catch/release hole out of position allowing it to drop and not feed correct.

See if he can elaborate on what gun or mag, could explain a lot.

Edit to add that there are some cases of bad factory designs like the 227 extended mags but FN makes a similar mag that works great.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
I've seen the problem with the dropping mags in a 238, but not in a 220 or a 226 or a 239, all of which I own and use extended mags in.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
pat I'm not stuck on one brand , only needs to prove dependable and that's always seems easy for me and can't remember the last time I had a function issue with any handgun , well other than .22lrs !! I don't add pinky extensions unless they came that way like with my s&w 669 but its reliable with the 15 round model 59 mag's and I carry full size mag's as back up for my primary CC a p320c 40 ..

I have been a big fan of kahrs before several hand surgeries . Now there all my girls or there husbands CC's and the smaller 9mm have been reliable with tp9 mags , the tp40 has no longer options but a full size 45 kahr runs only 8 round 1911 with wolff +5 %springs . One daughter has a pt111g2 and carry's a full size p226 mag as back up . My wife has m&p's and did CC a m&p9c for some years and used the full size mags as back up and now a kimber ultra 9mm is her edc that carry's Wilson 9 round mag and 10 rounder's as back up . All the longer mag's have to prove reliable before they get carried and continue to prove it with range trips .

I don't own a classic sig .

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,048 Posts
If my being here on this forum doesn't say it, I am a dyed in the wool SIG guy. I own several and mainly carry SIGs routinely in either 9mm or .45ACP.

I have had nothing but bad luck when it comes to extended mags for SIGs. And I've given up. Its okay, although mildly disappointing, but all the same I trust my life to SIG (mostly) and Walther and Springfield Armory. Even SIG has recognized this obstacle and they've sent me replacement mag after replacement mag and I just figured its not meant to be.

Question: Are there any other gun makers that have this problem with extended mags?

A buddy of mine who is a SWAT guy and part-time range officer opines that the reason the extended mags don't work well is because of the extension for the pinky finger and when squeezing there's a tendency to push down and that is causing the mag to drop. I don't know if I buy into that. Thoughts?
Pat, I'm once again, going to go out on the limb here... and one of these days it'll break.
It boils down to trying to stuff more into the same space... namely more rounds, and larger rounds into the same sized envelope. One of their primary ways is to use smaller diameter wire to make the springs, including different alloys. The delicate balance between the upward spring pressure on the cartridges feeding from the magazine, and the force of the recoil spring stripping the round from the feed lips, and into the barrels chamber, when unbalanced will cause feeding problems.
We all have experienced the difficulty in loading a new magazine to its listed capacity, until the magazine spring takes its initial "set", only to what seems a short time later, that the spring doesn't have enough tension to lock the slide to the rear, when the magazine is empty... requiring a replacement.

One of the problems is, a lot of these newer magazines use a different style follower, to allow for the insertion of more rounds, and the springs fit "into" a recess, "spring pocket" into the bottom of the follower, while the original followers, had projection that the spring fit "onto". (See attachment) These are out of a 15 round P226 magazine, and a 15 round P229-1 magazine, both 9mm. The "Older" P228 9mm magazines, which held 13 rounds, used the same follower, as the P226.

Finding replacement springs is one matter, finding replacement followers is another. Many are irritated that Sig does not carry replacements, but the bottom line is that magazines are considered "consumable" items, but at the price that Sig wants, for their magazines, consumers want to "repair" them at a cost savings. The manufacturers themselves, normally don't advertise the individual components, as they make more money, selling the entire magazine. You know that they have them, because they need to repair their products that are still under warranty, unless it is more cost effective for them to "write off" defective merchandise as losses, on their taxes.

Your buddies theory, about the mag extensions flexibility, causing problems, I have a hard time buying. The extension doesn't lock the magazines feed lips into position, the mag catch into the body of the magazine does. Again, I believe it's the use of smaller diameter spring wire, which ultimately lessens the springs useful life span. The minimal flexing of the extension would have a negligible effect on the springs pressure on the follower, IMHO.

As far as other makes, Colt M1911 magazines, 7 versus 8 round Government length, 6 round versus 7 Officers length, Browning High Power, 13 versus 15 round.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
There have been some issues with using magazine extensions with some Glock magazines. This is not to be confused with using a G17 mag in a G26, but it is specifically restricted to extending a factory magazine from a 17 round mag to a 20 round magazine by means of putting an extender on it. I've never had an issue with these extenders on G26 mags, taking them from 10 round mags to 12 round mags, but I've read plenty of accounts where malfunctions occurred with some of the larger magazines such as the 15/17 rounders with these extensions. And, like MC said, some of the Glock sticks (30+ rounders) have met with mixed results. I tend to agree with you, though, in terms of the larger capacity mags with the Sigs. I have had a couple issues with the 20 round mags for the P226, but I have used the Mec-Gar 18 round magazines with several P226s with zero issues. You may want to give those a try, but at the end of the day, as I'm sure you're well aware, it's best to run with what you're comfortable.

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
I have had nothing but bad luck when it comes to extended mags for SIGs.
How much do you want to extend them.

This one works just fine in USPSA Open for me. I have others...:)

ADDED: Sorry - that's 35 rounds.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I've used extended p220 and p226 mags with no problem. The 18 and 20rd p226 mags even work flawlessly in my p228, and the 10rd p220 .45 mag works in my p220 10mm just fine. p229 .40 magazines work well in my p224, with the exception of one bad Checkmate mag.

Even my p238 works with the 7rd magazines no problem, the only magazine that has had issues was an original 6rd one. Colt Mustang mags even run flawlessly.

With the exception of the p227, I've been under the impression that Sig extended magazines are some of the most reliable, readily available, and cost effective out there.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
This may not be what you are talking about; I've had no problems with P229-40 +2 mags that bump the capacity from 12 to 14. Or the P938's 7 round mag.

Plus 1 or 2 ain't much of an extension for the Glock boys who often have a roller-blade wheel mag base so it don't hang up on the ground so easy. :)

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
I've always had good luck - in the past - with extended capacity mags for P226s and P229s. Especially Mec-Gar.

But I started a thread not long ago where I had some 20-round Mec-Gar 9mm mags that I kept loaded for an extended period of time as backup mags.

I found that the old adage that springs only weaken from use (many cycles of compression and expansion) and not from keeping them loaded was not universally true.

Those magazines did feed every round perfectly when I decided to test them out after having kept them loaded for a long period of time. But that failed to lock the slide back on empty in almost every run.

That prompted other members to test theirs to see if they had the same problem and they did.

So I suspect that even Mec-Gar is starting to go cheap on the springs. Maybe to keep their mags so cheap?

I am very disheartened by that experience.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I've always had good luck - in the past - with extended capacity mags for P226s and P229s. Especially Mec-Gar.

But I started a thread not long ago where I had some 20-round Mec-Gar 9mm mags that I kept loaded for an extended period of time as backup mags.

I found that the old adage that springs only weaken from use (many cycles of compression and expansion) and not from keeping them loaded was not universally true.

Those magazines did feed every round perfectly when I decided to test them out after having kept them loaded for a long period of time. But that failed to lock the slide back on empty in almost every run.

That prompted other members to test theirs to see if they had the same problem and they did.

So I suspect that even Mec-Gar is starting to go cheap on the springs. Maybe to keep their mags so cheap?

I am very disheartened by that experience.
I've noticed that with several different OEM mags, a couple p229 .40 ones and a p239 mag. Sucks, but it's nice to know that they still feed fine. I think I read about a study that found that it would take decades for loaded Sig double stack magazines to stop being reliable. I bet most single-stack mags are about the same.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My evidence is just anecdotal but my 7 round mag on my new 938 is one of two reasons it went back so they can apply a fix. 6 round mag dropped once but the 7 rounder dropping was a constant source of frustration putting a bunch of rounds through a new piece. Can only speak to my case but the 7 rounder is a problem.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I have 2 Mec Gar 20 round for 226 9mm just for range fun. They have worked flawlessly.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
I like my Sig handguns. I went with Sig because they have the reputation of quality and dependability. That said I think there are many other guns out there that fit that criteria. My first semi-auto handgun was a Ruger P94 that I bought because I was on a pretty tight budget at the time and it was inexpensive. It has been a great gun and I still love it to this day. I’m as accurate with it as any other and have never had any mechanical issues. It always shoots when I tell it to.

As for extended mags, I think it has to do with spring pressure. My experience with aftermarket extended mags in say 20 rounds and up is that for the first 10 rounds I have issues. After that no issues. So I have deduced that there is too much upward pressure from the spring but after that pressure is reduced then no problem. So that is for things like pro-mag and the like. With my 226 I bought some Mec-Gar 20 round 9mm mags and they work great, but I would not try mags bigger than that because my experience is that there are always problems.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have 2 extended mags for my 226, and the last time I brought them to the range, the last round wouldn't feed properly. I'm told a new magazine spring will solve this, but I just put them away, and use my regular capacity mags. I'm sure I'll get around to buying some new springs, but since I have a bunch of other mags, I don't feel like it's too urgent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.