SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folded Slide's

Who(m)decided to reference Swiss/German breech block slides as Folded?

I hate the word of reference since there is NOTHING Folded,Formed,Bent,Shaped in the slides manufacturing process.

Broaching or shaping(shaving) was NOT an option for the Swiss or Germans since finish & repeatability is/was inconsistent.

The slides were MILLED from bar stock & chins were welded to the finished slide,then parkerized.

Look at the milling machine/cutter marks inside the slide after you remove the Bbl...walla...nothing Folded!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Sure am happy to see the link back to the pictures that Bear originally posted. Fascinating. Would never have imagined that the nose was welded onto the end. I always assumed that only a part was welded under/inside.

Of course I had to pull one out to examine.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
Dies, and Hydraulic Presses "form", as ThnkFrst says, "folded" seems more deliberate, than "bent" which sounds accidental.

Not much different than an AKM, except it uses rivets for assembly, and Sig used welding and tension pins to assemble the slide. Of course I've seen some AKM receivers that looked "bent" rather than die formed too...

·
Registered
55,297 Posts
That’s the thread I was talking about. Thanks.
thankyou thankyouverymuch!!

milled slides:
not my pics!!

Attachments

·
10,788 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
It also appears that they milled a flat spot for the barrel hood to slide against. The inside of the folds may have interfered with the flat corners of the hood.

I know what I’m doing tonight.;) Just gotta look.

·
Registered
21,582 Posts

·
10,788 Posts

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
It also appears that they milled a flat spot for the barrel hood to slide against.
I think that the triangular flat on the top of the slide is formed when the slide is "folded" (in my experiences it's a stamping). If you look closely at this pic taken after the chin and rear radii are welded but before machining ops, you can make out the flattened area.

I think you are right that it gives the barrel hood something flat to run on.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It also appears that they milled a flat spot for the barrel hood to slide against. The inside of the folds may have interfered with the flat corners of the hood.

I know what I’m doing tonight.;) Just gotta look.

Swiss/German to US English language translation at it's best!!

I removed the breech block out of 1 of my P220's.

The interior of the "Folded" slide is/was milled to remove the inside radius during the press FORMING operation.
Hence the end mill machine marks that are present.

"FORMED" would be the correct terminology....not Folded.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Simple really... one is stamped/pressed/folded, tomato tomotto. One is milled from a forged billet. Folded came from somewhere, If thats what Sig calls it then it works for me as all are 3 are correct. We had a press that would punch 1 inch diameter holes thru 1 inch plate. The task I see in the other thread isnt even that complicated from a machine point of view. Some rules are universal no matter if your building a firearm or a locomotive.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I think that the triangular flat on the top of the slide is formed when the slide is "folded" (in my experiences it's a stamping). If you look closely at this pic taken after the chin and rear radii are welded but before machining ops, you can make out the flattened area.

I think you are right that it gives the barrel hood something flat to run on.
I was referring to the milling on the inside of the slide, not the flat triangle on the top. If you look inside the slide, you can see the milling swirls just ahead of the breach opening. Even if the barrel hood would lock into place, when it unlocked and tilted under the lip of the breach opening, it would encounter those curved corners, if not milled flat and square.

Reactions: bearone2
1 - 20 of 28 Posts