SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought many guns over the past 6 years and parted with many of them. The trigger on the FN 509 tactical I just bought is the worst I have felt yet. Maybe I am just spoiled by having other guns with good triggers. I was thinking this one might be the replacement range gun for the Canik Tp9sfx but I do not see that happening now. I have not tested the Canik myself but they supposed to be around 3.5lbs. The FN is gritty as heck and every bit of 9lbs I would say

My neighbor who has one said yeah they suck and to dry fire it a few hundred times like he did which should help. I will post some pictures once my phone that I let die is charged. Hopefully I will have the Delta Point Pro I ordered soon for the FN.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Get some good snapcaps and sit and run drills with it. Also, consider MCarbo trigger spring kit for it. I've heard good things and its only $20ish.

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get some good snapcaps and sit and run drills with it. Also, consider MCarbo trigger spring kit for it. I've heard good things and its only $20ish.
It seems I should have read the FN forums before buying it. I looked into the MCarbo kit and people say they have light primer strikes with it. I guess I will shoot the heck out of it when I get a chance and see what my thoughts are. I shot the neighbors earlier in the year and I don't remember disliking his trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
It seems I should have read the FN forums before buying it. I looked into the MCarbo kit and people say they have light primer strikes with it. I guess I will shoot the heck out of it when I get a chance and see what my thoughts are. I shot the neighbors earlier in the year and I don't remember disliking his trigger.
I'd read the reports on their M&P kit and hadn't seen reports of light primer strikes. I know I reduced the weight in my PA-63 (PPK clone from the Eastern Block) by 40% and its still reliable and now has a very pleasant trigger (it was a beast with the factory springs in it).

Reactions: wcoyne

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dang, I hate to hear this!…as with my other two FN’s, My 509 tactical seems to be the anomaly...The trigger, although not the silkiest doesn’t seem to have too much “grit” to it at all...a little long in travel and trigger pull but I’ve shot the **** out of this thing in the last year and can honestly say I have literally only had two issues with this one which was the first was ammo related and one which was operator error…Other than that my FN 509 tactical shoots lights out...it is completely stock and doesn’t have a 🔴yet... I have the FNX 45 tactical and the FN 509 compact tactical as well and just love them...I will consider myself blessed by the Belgian gods...(I know I know they’re made in South Carolina)!...still love me some m18 though...

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang, I hate to hear this!…as with my other two FN’s, My 509 tactical seems to be the anomaly...The trigger, although not the silkiest doesn’t seem to have too much “grit” to it at all...a little long in travel and trigger pull but I’ve shot the **** out of this thing in the last year and can honestly say I have literally only had two issues with this one which was the first was ammo related and one which was operator error…Other than that my FN 509 tactical shoots lights out...it is completely stock and doesn’t have a 🔴yet... I have the FNX 45 tactical and the FN 509 compact tactical as well and just love them...I will consider myself blessed by the Belgian gods...(I know I know they’re made in South Carolina)!...still love me some m18 though...
Yeah, everything I read on them a year or so ago was positive and my neighbor seems to like his. I shot his fine and like mentioned above didn't remember disliking the trigger. I am sure its a great gun and they have received some high praise in magazines and on YouTube in the past. I have wanted one for a while and finally bought one. I have even considered getting a suppressor for it. I am not sure now but I am not giving up too quickly

·
Registered
21,612 Posts
It looks like it has the same trigger that was in the FN-9L I owned for a while. I never could get used to it. I kept wanting to pull from the middle of the trigger's face, and that doesn't completely move the nub on the back out of the way to clear the plastic behind it. It would slide over the textured plastic and felt like I was dragging the trigger through gravel. If I could have adjusted to pulling from the bottom end of the trigger, it would move the nub enough clear the plastic of the frame and operate smoother. But since I'm so used to DA/SA guns, I decided to stay with what I am accustomed to using.

·
Registered
21,612 Posts
My plan before buying it was to get an Apex trigger to replace this one. If I keep it and I probably will for home defense I will order one.
I considered that myself for the FNS-9L target I had. But I bought the 9L on an impulse and decided that I would never shoot it enough to put more money into it. I sold it. Had I kept it, I would have ordered an Apex for it.

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I considered that myself for the FNS-9L target I had. But I bought the 9L on an impulse and decided that I would never shoot it enough to put more money into it. I sold it. Had I kept it, I would have ordered an Apex for it.
I should have just got a HK Vp9 long slide. I started to buy a Optics ready VP9 and should have. If it wasn't at a big box store with a trigger lock on it I would have bought one when I seen it available. A local gun shop has an online store and gunbroker account which they sale guns on and that's what I used to buy the two guns this week. I have worked around the LGS owner and bought and traded with them for years

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Is it as bad as the hellcat trigger?

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it as bad as the hellcat trigger?
I have yet to handle a Hellcat so I have no idea. My P365 has a decent trigger and has been a great sub compact gun so far so I have not had a reason to get a Hellcat. I did ask about them while at the local gun shops and was told to keep hot I had

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have bought many guns over the past 6 years and parted with many of them. The trigger on the FN 509 tactical I just bought is the worst I have felt yet. Maybe I am just spoiled by having other guns with good triggers. I was thinking this one might be the replacement range gun for the Canik Tp9sfx but I do not see that happening now. I have not tested the Canik myself but they supposed to be around 3.5lbs. The FN is gritty as heck and every bit of 9lbs I would say

My neighbor who has one said yeah they suck and to dry fire it a few hundred times like he did which should help. I will post some pictures once my phone that I let die is charged. Hopefully I will have the Delta Point Pro I ordered soon for the FN.
I had a 509 for a while. Hated the trigger. Bought an Apex trigger for it. Not much better. Sold it and bought a full-size p320.

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a 509 for a while. Hated the trigger. Bought an Apex trigger for it. Not much better. Sold it and bought a full-size p320.
It seems I missed all of the negative reviews and only read the good ones

·
Registered
21,612 Posts
I LOVE my FN FNX-45 Tactical that's hammer-fired DA/SA. Long firm DA 1st pull but nice and smooth to the break; with a short & sweet SA from there. Or...just run it SA cocked and locked.

Never could warm up to FN's strikers though. JMO
The ability to change the manual of arms is something that fascinates me about that gun. If you are a traditional DA/SA guy, it can do it, whether you are used to a DA/SA without a manual safety like SIG's classic P series, or if you like a DA/SA with manual safety. And if you like running 1911s, no problem; it can work exactly like that too.

But I like that it is a hammer-fired, lightweight, high-capacity .45. And it is as easy to field strip as a classic SIG. And since it is a hammer-fired, the trigger feels completely different from the striker-fired guns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts