SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common that OEM P320 barrel may require fitting? See the pics:

Here is how a different barrel fits in the same slide:

Do I need to do fitting (filing) or this is a defective barrel and I need to exchange it?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
I don't see how the P320 barrels should be any different than any of the others. Greater than 90% will likely be drop in, but every parts has tolerances, due to tool wear, and even the machine itself doing the machining, which is only a few thousands of an inch.

Different combinations of parts, will result in different "fits". This barrel in another slide, may just drop right in!

I don't recommend a file, a "stone" would be better... suggest you check out the videos in the Sticky section, here in "Gunsmithing". There are a couple of videos here on fitting a barrel, the same principal is used, regardless of model.

From what I could see from your photos, it may just need the "depth" of the cut in front of the hood increased a thousand or two of an inch (.001"-.002").

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Since I have a friend who owns a LGS, I have spent hours unpacking and examining new firearms. I have noticed differences in that area, among Sigs in the same shipment. Maybe not as pronounced, but there just the same.

As Willard explained, some slippage occurs in any manufacturing process, over time. This looks like a combination of tolerances just lining up in an unfortunate direction.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Is it common that OEM P320 barrel may require fitting? See the pics:

Here is how a different barrel fits in the same slide:

Do I need to do fitting (filing) or this is a defective barrel and I need to exchange it?
To answer your question, yes. I would aim for a better fit, than what you currently have with that new barrel. I bet the POI would be quite different between those two barrels.

Reactions: nervous

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
The barrel is not defective. It needs to be fitted to your gun.

Every time you install a new barrel, it’s always good to check for fitment. As you found out, it doesn’t fit correctly. It has to be fitted due manufacturing tolerances in each part. Some don’t but majority of barrels need fitment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got a Sig factory 9mm bbl for my 40sw tacops. I also bought the nine recoil spring and a extractor , sig said after 20,000rds my extractor could become a problem. They seem to fit the same and either one in battery I can see the same amount of shell casing showing. Extractor doesn't look like it's too tight in battery... The gun functions great, only a few hundred through it no glitches yet...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sig has a quality problem if barrels aren't easily interchangeable. In the day of CNC machining, quality measurement tools (Six Sigma, SPC, ISO, etc.), there really isn't an excuse for such parts dimensional variability. Glock, for example, doesn't have this problem. How so?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts