SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first X-Five, and first German Sig. Walked into a shop and didn’t even expect to see these just laying there. Ended up taking home the Open to maybe use for 3Gun.

On the first range trip I noticed the comp started twisting after 100rds. Cleaned it and put fresh loctite on the screws and let it set. Another 100rds later and same thing happened. Cleaned it again, some more loctite, and then rockset the comp to the barrel at the advice of the gunsmith at the store I got it from. Let it sit for a week. Then 200rds in to test it out and I noticed a slight twisting still.

Any advice for this issue?? Gonna bring it back to the shop to see what they can do for me, I don’t know what. Germany is done for, so could NH do anything? I’m just about at the point of JB Welding it on. For the money I was expected this to be perfect out of the box. Little too late to return it I guess...

Pic of the first time I shot it and from this past weekend.

·
Registered
Dutch 3 gunner
161 Posts
I assume the Loctite can handle the temperature? I’d bring it to a very well known and competent gunsmith. You might want to contact Gray Guns or Armory Craft.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,304 Posts
That's one mean looking gun. Congrats. Hopefully you will solve your compensator problem.

Reactions: drakelineous

·
Registered
105 Posts
No great advice here, but that is one great looking gun. It’s got a Buck Rogers look to it. (Yeah, I’m old) :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: drakelineous

·
Registered
55,783 Posts
it's a known issues with this configuration, nothing to keep it from loosening up.
avoid jb weld.

congratulations, nice looking!

welcome from az.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This $5,000 gun can be easily fixed with a $5.99 tube of JB weld. Just make sure to warm the JB weld a little bit to room temperature or above so it can seep in all the threads and crevices. The JB weld is gray so if you apply to much, it will blend in color wise.

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
This $5,000 gun can be easily fixed with a $5.99 tube of JB weld. Just make sure to warm the JB weld a little bit to room temperature or above so it can seep in all the threads and crevices. The JB weld is gray so if you apply to much, it will blend in color wise.
If he uses JB Weld to keep it in place, how is he going to remove the comp to remove the barrel for cleaning?

OP, put some red loctite on the barrel threads before installing the comp. make sure you clean the threads with acetone or alcohol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If he uses JB Weld to keep it in place, how is he going to remove the comp to remove the barrel for cleaning?

OP, put some red loctite on the barrel threads before installing the comp. make sure you clean the threads with acetone or alcohol.
I figured since red loctite is listed as being good only up to 500F and rocksett up to 2000F that it would’ve been moot to use it if the rocksett still wasn’t enough. I didn’t want to use rocksett or red loctite on the screws since I figured the small size of them would make removal a lot harder if I had to than removing the comp, potentially stripping or breaking the heads.

The way the comp is setup I can’t really dimple the barrel like I did when using an Armory Craft comp on my 229 Legion. So without any other solutions I figured JB Weld is one of the last things I could try. Will shoot a few hundred more rounds to see how much it twists before doing anything drastic.

Though I don’t really see a need to remove the barrel from the slide to do cleaning. I can still access all the area inside the slide and around the barrel by pulling it forward, and I can just snake the barrel. So not being able to take it off isn’t really a concern unless there’s something I’m not thinking of.

·
Registered
47 Posts
do not use red loctite. you will need to use heat to remove it to service/clean your weapon.
i would look at using an O-ring to have the comp clamp on to and give you the needed increase in diameter.
it will also keep the comp from spinning.

you will take a large hit if you ever decide to sell the pistol.

·
Registered
55,783 Posts
Do you have one? How’d you deal with it? Or know of what others that do did?
no, i had a 220sport with comp + still have 226sport with same type of attachment for barrel weight as 220 comp.
220sport has the smaller proprietary rail for the comp.

226sport could have sight on barrel weight or the frame.

other folks have tried/filed with all the suggestions that have been presented for securing your type on comp..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts