SIG Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
I started shooting IPSC before there was a USPSA, and just in my opinion, "practical" sports are anything but. From walk through to foot faults, comped, scoped guns it became a game, a fun game to be sure, but... there's no requirement (AFAIK) for you to walk through, or not make a fault, if you shoot and come in dead last and you think you performed "practically" your time was well spent.

An older friend of mine did just that, he reloaded tactically (put partial mags in his pocket) used cover realistically, shot targets ACCURATELY in order of closest first, and did not win, but I'll say this he was the last person I'd ever want shooting at me. He was as cool as ice. Some competitors laughed at his "technique" but EVERY match was a training session for the real thing... I guess he learned that in the SAS.

RIP James

馃帠US Army Veteran Premium Member
Congrats on your first match. USPSA is a fun game that you really can't analyze too deeply. Many times the winner of the match miss targets, but they have run the course well enough and fast enough to win. I've often thought, if you miss, haven't you lost? If you leave a hypothetical threat untouched, doesn't the hypothetical threat win by hypothetically scoring on you? Still, it is fun and there are benefits from participating and there are some incredibly talented shooters out there who make it look easy. Dirty rats!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I shot my first IDPA match last weekend, to compare it to USPSA. It was just a local deal. Shooting from a chair, around and under barriers, etc. I had my head adjusted better for this one and enjoyed it. Same results as the USPSA. I didn't place well (didn't expect or want to on my first time), but was the most accurate and was close to some other shooters times. I think I'm okay with that. I plan to shoot more of both and see where it goes.

Registered
I think IDPA is simple and fun to shoot despite the extra rules, But their strict adherence to slicing-the-pie, near-to-far, and ammo retention might be misplaces in the practical world. Sometimes those my not be the best defensive choices. While USPSA is a run-and-gun game, the ability to shoot it in whatever manner you choose, safely of course, means the shooters can chose to make of it what they may. Do I want to retain ammo, okay. Do I want to drop ammo, okay. Do I want to shoot reverse-pie because I perceive the target closest is the bigger threat, I go for it. Do I want to ignore that target in the open till later, because it may not be a threat just yet, then I do it.

Would I like to be ranked higher than a "C". Sure would. How much accuracy am I willing to give up to do it? Working on it.

馃帠US Army Veteran Premium Member
I think IDPA is simple and fun to shoot despite the extra rules, But their strict adherence to slicing-the-pie, near-to-far, and ammo retention might be misplaces in the practical world. Sometimes those my not be the best defensive choices. While USPSA is a run-and-gun game, the ability to shoot it in whatever manner you choose, safely of course, means the shooters can chose to make of it what they may. Do I want to retain ammo, okay. Do I want to drop ammo, okay. Do I want to shoot reverse-pie because I perceive the target closest is the bigger threat, I go for it. Do I want to ignore that target in the open till later, because it may not be a threat just yet, then I do it.

Would I like to be ranked higher than a "C". Sure would. How much accuracy am I willing to give up to do it? Working on it.
The only issue I have with IDPA is there are a lot of subjective opinions included - good cover can mean different things to different people. Good luck.

Registered
The only issue I have with IDPA is there are a lot of subjective opinions included - good cover can mean different things to different people. Good luck.
Of course with the use of fault lines now in IDPA, "cover" just means not stepping over the fault line. Makes it less subjective, more USPSAish, but it's not necessarily good cover.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts