SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**Update** First trip to range w/SAO Legion: My SIG deserved better

I have owned my P226 Legion DA/SA for several months now and am very happy with it. After substituting the mainspring with a Wolff 17lb spring the trigger is pretty darn good for a DA/SA pistol. It is even better after I adjusted the trigger for overtravel (subject of an upcoming post...maybe). A few weeks ago I became intrigued with the idea of a P226 RX and decided to drop the coin on a SAO model. That pistol was the most accurate I have ever shot! The trigger is outstanding on it and I was able to shoot it more accurately and consistently than any other pistol I have ever shot.

Put the two together, the SAO trigger and the Legion but without the Romeo, and you have a SAO Legion. I really feel that I shot the RX Elite SAO so well not because of the sight but because of the trigger. I really wanted a SAO Legion, which are hot items at my 'local' (50 miles away) SIG Elite dealer. Happened to find that three were in stock yesterday so I took the plunge and exercised my credit card:p.

Took it to the range today along with my other Legion and my Elite RX SAO. Unfortunately today was one of those days where my weebles didn't compensate for my wobbles, but contributed to them. In short, I shot pretty awful today! No matter which I shot I was inconsistent and not very accurate. However, in comparison I still believe the new Legion is a winner. I shot it as well as anything else I shot today anyhow;). The trigger is, if anything, slightly better than my Elite SAO. Maybe a little crisper with slightly less travel, and I do like the straight shoe on it. The pistol ran with 100% reliability as expected.

I guess I will have to try to shoot up to my pistols capability sometime in the near future. All of them surely deserved better than what I subjected them too today.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flipping back & forth between da/sa & sao can be challenging.

You know, that is an excellent point. I have found myself gravitating away from traditional DA/SA pistols (bought and quickly sold a SP 2022 that just didn't work for me) towards SAO (Elite RX SAO & Legion) and striker fired (have a P320RX and P320 Compact, both PELT equipped and shoot very well for me). On top of all of that the trigger work I have done to my DA/SA Legion is making it more like a SAO type feel (lighter mainspring and adjusting for minimum overtravel). The DA/SA Legion works very well for me, and I shoot it almost as well as my SAO P226's, just not today:huh:.

I have been a mechanic for over 30 years and my hands have been beaten up quite a bit. The lighter crisper triggers are just easier for me to use.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was able to shoot some very accurate groups to point of aim with both Legion pistols, so I know the potential is there with the SAO. As my time on the range went on, the consistency went out. As I wrote, I wasn't even able to shoot consistently with my Elite RX SAO, my heretofore best shooting pistol, and today the last out of the range bag.

Registered
Congrats on your new pistols!! Wouldn't worry about your initial targets with a new gun - You're just get'en started!!

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think we all have those days where we're not nearly as accurate as we wanna be. And its very much frustrating.

Wasn't really frustrated or down on myself. A bit disappointed though as I really wanted to see what the SAO Legion could do. Even burned through one of my couple remaining boxes of my best range ammo...SIG Elite 115 grain, which I shot my new Elite RX SAO using^_^.

A bad day at the range is WAY better than a good day at work, or doing dishes or laundry or letting the dogs in and out..........

Registered
I found myself slightly disappointed with my range outing today as well. I have been shooting my sao legion with the P226 rx slide on it most of the time. But today for some reason I found myself "slapping" the trigger a bit. at 15 yards if I did my part, breathed properly and squeezed the bullet went right where the red dot was. If I screwed up, I could even see by watching the dot move where the shot was going.

That romeo1 sight can make me VERY accurate, but I also found myself letting the grip and hold fundamentals slipping a little bit because its so easy to put the dot on the target. and I don't have to concentrate on keeping the sights "true". But its still just as critical to "follow through" the shot to make it stay accurate.

I think I'm going to leave the P226rx slide on the legion permanently. Its the perfect setup for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2nd trip to the range....all is well!

Finally had a chance to get back to the range today w/ new legion SAO. Once I settled in I shot the new pistol much more like I expected to be able to shoot it, even though I was just returning from the dentist. Only change was the substitution of a Wolff 17lb mainspring. Overall I am very happy with the new SAO Legion. Ad an added bonus my thermold case and coin arrived today. Don't really see myself using it or the coin, but it sure is nice to get.

Shot my P226RX SAO Elite with the new Hogue G10's installed too. Mascus black/gray Pirhanas. Also a winner!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.