SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. New here. (used to be more of a shotgun/rifle guy) just picked up a sig p224. cute little piece. having an issue with the slide not releasing when pressing the slide catch lever. I have to pull the slide back and press the slide catch lever for it to let go. I took gun apart and checked spring. everything is cool. just can't figure it out. any ideas? its a new old sig. I realize its old but it was never fired and picked it as new old stock. please help. thanks.

·
Registered
14,482 Posts
hello everyone. New here. (used to be more of a shotgun/rifle guy) just picked up a sig p224. cute little piece. having an issue with the slide not releasing when pressing the slide catch lever. I have to pull the slide back and press the slide catch lever for it to let go. I took gun apart and checked spring. everything is cool. just can't figure it out. any ideas? its a new old sig. I realize its old but it was never fired and picked it as new old stock. please help. thanks.
Welcome from Texas. I Do Not Use The Slide Release on any of My Semi Autos. I always Sling Shot.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
actually i did have an empty mag in it. hmmm....didnt think about that.
No worries, empty magazine locks the slide back after last round is fired. Take the magazine out while practicing manipulation of the slide.

Enjoy your P224!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries, empty magazine locks the slide back after last round is fired. Take the magazine out while practicing manipulation of the slide.

Enjoy your P224!
as you say manipulation of the slide....so is it supposed to go back to firing position once a full mag is replaced? or xan i slide it forward and backwards with no mag in it? sorry newbie questions. shotguns were so much easier. lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
You can play with your slide forward & backward without mag. The reason why it locks the slide is because the mag follower is pushing the slide catch when empty.

Reactions: Poppastar

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can play with your slide forward & backward without mag. The reason why it locks the slide is because the mag follower is pushing the slide catch when empty.
but shouldn't the slide slide forward when you press the slide lock release? I have to pull the slide further back and press the release before it slides forward.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As long as you have the empty magazine in there, it will be in slide lock position. You have to remove the mag to be able to release it by pushing down the slide or sling shot it.

Reactions: RSB12 and Poppastar

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
but shouldn't the slide slide forward when you press the slide lock release? I have to pull the slide further back and press the release before it slides forward.
RSB, if the magazine has a round in it and the slide is locked back, pressing the slide lock lever will release the slide and chamber a round. You'll also be able the chamber a round by pulling the slide back, releasing it and a round will chamber (without touching the slide lock lever).

Don't figure this out using live ammo anywhere but the range. Read that again.

Leave the magazine out, practice pulling the slide back while pushing up on the slide lock lever to lock the slide back. At that point, with no magazine in the gun, send the slide forward by either pushing down on the ride lock lever or by pulling the slide back and releasing it. Practice this both ways. Again, keep live ammo out of the picture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah....im not going to load a magazine unless I'm at the range.. so just work the release and get a better feel for it. Gotcha. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be visiting this page a lot. lol. Thanks again. To....EVERYONE!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As long as you have the empty magazine in there, it will be in slide lock position. You have to remove the mag to be able to release it by pushing down the slide or sling shot it.
Got it. Thank you!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
thanks. I guess I'm one of those newbies .....
My newly bought first firearm wasn't working too ya know!. 😜

1 - 20 of 26 Posts