SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I'm a freelance writer and photographer who does gun reviews. So I got a P320 X5 sent to me just a bit before most everyone else got theirs. Below are the first couple of photos I'm working on for the review.

My first observation is regarding the trigger. I've got two other P320's - one "stock" and one with the GGI PELT trigger. For me, it's pretty easy to miss the trigger reset during dry fire when I'm trying to go fast. So you get a "click", then the next trigger pull is "dead" (no click) because I didn't let it out all the way to reset. This isn't at all a problem during live fire - only dry.

During SHOT Show when I played with the P320 X5 in the SIG booth, I was fairly convinced that the trigger was, in some way, different from the stock P320 trigger. But when I asked, I was told this wasn't the case. But the trigger reset was sooooo much better for me - the trigger just "felt" different. But I chalked it up to this being a pre-production gun.

Fast forward to the P320 X5 which SIG sent me to review, and I'm absolutely certain this trigger is different (after doing some checking, I did confirm that SIG changed the trigger geometry on the P320 X5). I tried measuring the weight with my Lyman - it's a bit tricky with a flat-faced trigger because the Lyman "hook" wants to slide down the trigger when you pull with it. But I did many measurements and the results were pretty consistently between 5 and 6 lbs:

This puts it as being about 2 lbs. lighter than a stock P320, and maybe a pound heavier than a GGI PELT trigger - but the X5 feels very different from both. The P320 X5 trigger is very, very good.

I should have my online review up (with video) in a couple of days - but suffice to say that P320 X5 may just be the best production striker fired pistol ever. It's freakin' awesome!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Great to hear your initial impressions are so positive! I placed an order for one at my 'local' SIG Elite dealer just yesterday and am really looking forward to receiving it. Can't wait for your review! Please post a link.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Thanks for new info on the X. Guns & Ammo mag just reviewed 3 different models. They loved it!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Excellent. Does the production gun have the lightening slots in the top of the slide like the one from the SHOT show?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You lucky son of a gun. Been wondering about the trigger, not surprised there is a slight improvement, not that the original is bad. Looking forward to your review. Pretty big change in the grip module and undercut under the trigger guard.

How are the ergos compare to the reg. 320? I know it's subjective but curious. I actually fell the the original 320 was the only SF gun that felt really close to the classic sigs from the ergo's standpoint. I think the x series will be really nice feel to it.

As always thanks for keeping us informed.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Is the magazine funnel removable?

I'm always open to having another range toy...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You lucky son of a gun. Been wondering about the trigger, not surprised there is a slight improvement, not that the original is bad. Looking forward to your review. Pretty big change in the grip module and undercut under the trigger guard.
Huge improvement with the undercut. I didn't realize how much the pebble in my shoe bothered me until it was removed....

How are the ergos compare to the reg. 320? I know it's subjective but curious. I actually fell the the original 320 was the only SF gun that felt really close to the classic sigs from the ergo's standpoint. I think the x series will be really nice feel to it.
You're right - that's subjective, and I don't know that I can answer the question, but here's what I will say about the ergos:

One of the huge compromises competition shooters will have to (eventually) face is the decision to either shoot what you carry or shoot what everyone else is shooting (2011, etc.). Now you don't have to make that decision.

Last night I dry fired with the P320 X5. I fully expected a HUGE learning curve since I normally shoot a P320 Compact with an RMR. This wasn't the case. Within a few minutes I was performing at or above (yes above) performance levels it had taken me months to reach with my P320C. Why? The ergos. At its core, the X5 is still a P320. it points the same (but better). It reloads the same (but better). The long and the short here is that you won't lose your carry gun defensive gun handling skills with the X5 if you're a P320 shooter. You don't have to train and shoot with two disparate platforms. All the controls are in the same place, the manual of arms is the same...it's magical. :eek:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: Edsel

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks for all the info Rolex John. Can't wait to receive mine! Think I will special order a VTac when I finally pick mine up.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
No confirmation for me yet from my LGS. I am #2 on the list, so depends on whether they get a couple or not....:(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts