SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hello everybody. Glad to be here. I am new to the forums and a new Sig-owner as I recently purchased my first new Sig Sauer pistol. I have shot several before and even learned to shoot on a P220 (.45) service weapon. Anyway, as you might imagine, I am extremely eager to get to the range and put some rounds through it (no, I haven't shot it yet), but I wanted to get some input from you guys before hand. Hopefully I'm not starting a new thread if one already exists.

Here's the deal:
I know I want to disassemble it completely to clean and lube it prior to the first time out. Besides that, I have heard several very different opinions on any "break-in procedure". I just wanted some feedback and go from there as I feel I made a quality investment with some quality U.S. currency, and want to ensure that the weapon stays in top condition for the long haul.

Thanks in advance, and any input is appreciated! Cheers :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just recently bought a sp2022 that was a "virgin". Before I fired my first shot thru it I stripped it down, cleaned it, worked the trigger, lubed all the swivel points (everything that swings and slides) cleaned the trigger spring mechanism in my handle, cleaned off oil that i may have missed with q-tips, reassembled and went too the range....break in period not required. Sigs are wonderfully built to practically be ready to shoot right out of the case (not recommended but can). Have fun with with your new investment, take care of it and it will return the favor. And welcome to the forum with greetings from Augusta, Ga.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Field strip the weapon according to your owners manuel,wipe off all the grease,oil dirt etc,re oil with fresh, quality oil. GREASE the rails with a quality grease. Don't forget to oil the barrel externally plus guide rod and spring. Reasswmble and soot shoot and shoot some more. There is a post FLORKS gun lube hints. Good info!!!

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Hmmm...I've never disassembled more than this* with any of my pistols:

After hanging around here trolling the old threads, maybe I'm not going deep enough. True?

*Not mine

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmmm...I've never disassembled more than this* with any of my pistols:

After hanging around here trolling the old threads, maybe I'm not going deep enough. True?

*Not mine
What is this? Does not look like any sig that I know
!!!!

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
What is this? Does not look like any sig that I know
!!!!
--->*not mine. ---^

Just a photo I pulled to illustrated how far I've only disassembled and cleaned my pistols.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
--->*not mine. ---^

Just a photo I pulled to illustrated how far I've only disassembled and cleaned my pistols.
WEll what ever it is it is field stripped. That is as far as sig recommends to tear down. You can do all lubes from here.

·
Registered
55,782 Posts
it's somebody's idea of a joke.

looks to be a 229 frame/slide & some other barrel/guide rod, maybe a 250.

·
Banned
3,753 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
hmmm...i've never disassembled more than this* with any of my pistols:

after hanging around here trolling the old threads, maybe i'm not going deep enough. True?

*not mine
can anyone id the barrel assy and guide rod???

·
Registered
920 Posts
For a new gun, is one supposed to clean and lube anything other than the frame rails, the slide, and the slide's innards (barrel, etc)? The trigger and associated action is already lubed at the factory; isn't it and isn't that enough?

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
look at the pic to the right of what you posted, with wood grips & you'll see a p-series stripped down.
Yea saw that. My 229 is almost 20yrs old. Have never taken it down more than the field strip. Zero firing issues from day one. After this much time, any reason for a more thorough cleaning? Also have 9mm P89 Ruger almost as old, same situation.

Although...we're all friends here, right? I once inadvertently loaded some 9mm into the Sig that fired OK but failed to eject properly. Caught it quickly...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will check out that lube tips thread.

To answer SirSigalot's question, I bought a new P226 Tac Ops 9mm with the 4 X 20 round magazines. I've heard some complaints about the newer 20 round Sig mags, but I will see how they perform for a while before I run out and buy the Mec Gars. The Mec Gars seem to be out of stock everywhere anyways.

Also, I've noticed that the barrel hood seems smooth and finished/polished on some models and mine does not. Does anyone know why? Just curious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts