SIG Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the chance to look at and handle an Arex compact today for the first time and it's pretty impressive. Exceptionally clean and smooth inside and out, very tight tolerances, DA/SA and decocker, with ambi manual safety and mag release, and can be disassembled with it on safe. Automatically trips the takedown lever upon reassembly. 15 rounds of 9mm in the compact, 17 rounds in the full size. Out the door at the lgs $640. The flat dark earth is not actually FDE, more like a gold color, but a dark bronze coating on it would be nice! Other than the safety, if you didn't see any name on it from 10 ft away you would think it's a 226, if it was the black one that is. Close inspection inside and out had me put some money down to order one in unless his other customer doesn't take this one, then it's mine. If I end up with their FDE I'm definitely having it coated something else, but if I end up with a black one I may or may not have it coated, haven't decided yet. Can't wait to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
I was actually interested in the compact model...but recently put together a nice P228 FrankenSig, so that scratched that itch. Post pics when you get it. How is the grip circumference?

Reactions: GCBHM and Jonzim48

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Keep in mind the AREX is not a P226 clone, but a look alike. On another forum a forum member bought one and it as DAO. They refused to pay shipping to fix it and he said shipping was expensive.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed it only LOOKS like a 226. The grip is just slightly larger, in my hand, than my P320 medium grip, which is much more comfortable than the sub small size grip to shoot 357 sig. The DA trigger pull is heavy, but not so much it pulls you off POA, and there is considerable takeup in single action mode but decent pull, which would surprise those familiar with a 1911, but then there aren't a lot of triggers out there like a good 1911. Don't know how one of these could be DAO, but I guess it's possible. The grips are black and pretty slim or it would be a really large grip. Fits a full 3 fingers on the grip in the compact version.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I own both a Rex S and a Rex CP. I vastly prefer the Rex S.

The Rex CP has this strange issue that makes it very hard for me to press the mag release. The smaller grip size combined with the ambidextrous safety (pushing out the other side of the gun - where your fingers are stacked up on the shorter grip) just makes it near impossible... The small grip on the Rex CP is otherwise VERY nice. And the gun is actually quite small - especially when compared to my 229 Legion. BUT I dont think that the compact model should have the ambi mag release.

Now the Rex S has a very wide grip. A good bit wider than my Legion. That's not to say it is uncomfortable - once you get a set of Houge grips on it it is actually a very comfortable grip. And I find that the width actually helps me to line up the sights very instinctively. The straight vertical lines on the back and front of the grip would be my only other complaint - I plan on having these filed down or adding perpendicular serrations to make them feel more like normal checkering.

I would NOT recomend the Rex S for anyone with smaller than average hands. I have average hands (8.5W/8L) and the standard size feels big - but not too big. All that being said the Rex S holds 17/18 9mm...and the extended mags on the Rex actually hold 3 more 9mm than that...THATS 20/21rds in your sidearm. You are getting SOMETHING for that extra grip size.

Also, having a fully ambidexterous gun is a relief after my Sigs. I have carpal tunnel in my right hand and shooting this gun as a lefty feels great.
Annnnd I skipped that "FDE" color on both my REX's beacuse that **** is straight gold.

-One final note for anyone looking at this post and considering a REX. My first Rex CP actually showed up without the front white dot sight painted in. I noticed this at the dealers and refused it - KVAR was very ammicable in getting me a replacement asap. Had I NOT noticed this at the dealers I imagine I would have had a frustrating time getting a replacement from Slovania or wherever...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.