SIG Talk banner

First IDPA Match & Review

1781 12
I recently shot my first IDPA match with my P226 SAO Legion. I decided to write a review on IDPA as a whole and whether it has any relevance to real life usage of a firearm. As always I'm interested in feedback.

Here's a link to the article and video from the match: https://gunpowdermeditation.com/2017/05/26/idpa-review/
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Sterling. I know this is late feedback, but I thought I would provide it anyway.

I don't know what your background is or when you decided to start shooting. I can assume you have had some "paid for" training from someone who instilled their beliefs on you as to certain aspects of defensive pistol shooting.

Bottom Line Up Front: Your assessment of IDPA as a shooting sport was very limited by your experience. Your main complaints was having to shoot from cover and following certain rules of the game like 10 round mag limits and concealment garments. USPSA doesn't use concealment but they do use fault lines and obstacles that are meant to make a person shoot from awkward positions. I watched your video and you do have the potential to do well in a match. It looks like you throw some extra rounds from time to time and that is good. The new Down 1 = 1 Second makes it advantageous to do some make up shots. The main "jist" of the game is time and accuracy. If you throw too many extra rounds you need to use your 2nd Reload. That takes time.

From the video, I could tell that they put some effort into making the stages challenging and made good use of cover and distance shooting. I am surprised you didn't enjoy it for what it is. IDPA is a shooting game that tests a persons shooting ability, problem solving skills and equipment reliability.

My background is 23 years of Military and LE experience and 5 years of IDPA experience. I am a Match Director for our local club and I shoot at least 2 matches a month. I work hard to design fun and challenging stages that keep people interested and coming back for more.

My biggest assessment/feedback is that you have some developed conceptions of what defensive pistol shooting is about and you are disappointed that your training and practice did not equate to a better match performance. That is understandable. My suggestion is that you need to put aside your pride and enjoy the sport/game for what it is worth. How you apply that to your real life and your fear of developing "bad habits" is up to you. Playing a game by the rules and enjoying the challenge it presents, is not a bad habit. It is a good way to test your mind, equipment and shooting ability in a safe scenario based venue.

Best of luck to you.

Bp

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can assume you have had some "paid for" training from someone who instilled their beliefs on you as to certain aspects of defensive pistol shooting.
That would be Paul Howe. Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and listen to him.

Bottom Line Up Front: Your assessment of IDPA as a shooting sport was very limited by your experience.
Which would mean something if what I wrote about had ANYTHING to do with experience needed in IDPA. It did not so your point is pointless.

Your main complaints was having to shoot from cover and following certain rules of the game like 10 round mag limits and concealment garments.
Those were not complaints. I pointed out how their style of shooting from cover is not tactically sound.

I also didn't complain about the round limit. In fact, if you would READ what I posted you would see that I actually explained why the 10 round limit was in place. How is explaining something complaining about it?

As well the cover garment was not a complaint. I didn't complain when I received the penalty either. It was an observation from my experience and therefore relevant to be included.

My biggest assessment/feedback is that you have some developed conceptions of what defensive pistol shooting is about and you are disappointed that your training and practice did not equate to a better match performance.
Actually I was pleased with my performance, I set my goal and achieved it. No where in the article did I complain or make reference to my performance. You are projecting. My biggest assessment/feed back to you; read more and assume less.

My suggestion is that you need to put aside your pride and enjoy the sport/game for what it is worth.
Once again this is you projecting and incorrectly thinking my article had something to do with my performance. Also, it doesn't appear you actually read the part where I said "First and foremost it’s a game, in most meaningful defensive facets, just like USPSA. Is that a bad thing though? Not necessarily. If you just want a game to play and you prefer the IDPA format over others then rock on."

IDPA fan-boys sure get pissy about the article. Objective people, including educated IDPA shooters, see it for what it is and agree with my points.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, I can see you are totally open to the feedback you requested. This is at least a step above the "bite me" response I got on your Rusted Legion post.

Once again, Best of Luck to you.

Bp

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That was a nice read OP and a different view on the subject.

It is however just a game, and does challenge you on many different levels.

I can see maybe a self defense class/ competition being more of a upcoming sport in the near feature. Maybe some realistic CCW rules.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was a nice read OP and a different view on the subject.

It is however just a game, and does challenge you on many different levels.

I can see maybe a self defense class/ competition being more of a upcoming sport in the near feature. Maybe some realistic CCW rules.
Thanks.

Very true. I'm a big believer in competition for advancing skills like thinking under stress.

It's funny you mention that, it's something I've been thinking about for a while. I would like to have completely blind stages, no walk through or anything, go problem solve. Realistic targets, including no shoots like a responding officer, etc...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd say your conclusions about "IDPA cover" are informed by your one match experience.
The new IDPA cover rules have generally resulted in much more generous exposure of the shooter to the target than was the case pre-2017.
Because you used to have to adjust cover for each target, while today you have a single cover line for every target in a given array, there will usually be only one target with cover that is tight, and you then find that you can assume a position that leaves you completely exposed to a target or targets at the opposite end.
If you shoot the new IDPA classifier, you'll see that when you are shooting from the cover of the barricade or the barrel, you can see all three targets simultaneously, and Tactical Priority is merely engaging left-to-right or right-to-left, rather than being a matter of engaging the only target that you can see, as was often the case in the past.

Each stage's procedure will dictate whether you must wear the vest or not; why would you think it was the shooter's option? Or, why would you be surprised when you discovered there was a rule that didn't allow the shooter to decide?

IDPA, in the last four or five years, has changed dramatically. It's a very different sport than it used to be. Easier to shoot, easier to officiate, fewer rules, but it's missing a lot of what made it a unique sport, and it's less distinct alternative to other shooting competition/entertainment.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd say your conclusions about "IDPA cover" are informed by your one match experience.
The new IDPA cover rules have generally resulted in much more generous exposure of the shooter to the target than was the case pre-2017.
Because you used to have to adjust cover for each target, while today you have a single cover line for every target in a given array, there will usually be only one target with cover that is tight, and you then find that you can assume a position that leaves you completely exposed to a target or targets at the opposite end.
If you shoot the new IDPA classifier, you'll see that when you are shooting from the cover of the barricade or the barrel, you can see all three targets simultaneously, and Tactical Priority is merely engaging left-to-right or right-to-left, rather than being a matter of engaging the only target that you can see, as was often the case in the past.

Each stage's procedure will dictate whether you must wear the vest or not; why would you think it was the shooter's option? Or, why would you be surprised when you discovered there was a rule that didn't allow the shooter to decide?

IDPA, in the last four or five years, has changed dramatically. It's a very different sport than it used to be. Easier to shoot, easier to officiate, fewer rules, but it's missing a lot of what made it a unique sport, and it's less distinct alternative to other shooting competition/entertainment.
Thank you. You just described why their cover is even worse than I described.

Did you really not understand the cover garment portion of the article. Why don't you go ahead and re-read it? I think you'll find it'll answer your own question.

·
Premium Member
15,090 Posts
First thing I asked when I attended to watch an IDPA match was whether I was allowed to back off of cover, like I was taught in defensive pistol training. I was told yes...but I may want to ask more discreetly so as not toggle away 'strategy'. Later he told me that it was refreshing that I asked, as he sees so many shooters just hugging cover and not getting any angles.

At the same time....as I've started to shoot these, most knowledge that it is in fact sport, 'based' on defensive shooting, and we're all good with that. I plan to take some more actual defensive courses, but I really like that I can incorporate some of the techniques from defensive training while just getting some good trigger and drill time. It has some serious applications of course, but it really is a lot of fun too. Just good to be around others who are fellow gun enthusiasts, too...especially in such an anti-gun state like mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.