SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new p320 9c to the range this past weekend for the first time. My wife and I combined put about 350 rounds of no less than 8 different varieties of ammo through it. From 110-150 grains, brass, steel, and aluminum, ball and hollow point. One fte with some traditional crappy Midland reload (this happens with just about every pistol). Smooth! If we could've afforded to we were ready for 350 more. Went home and cleaned it, following the factory manual first time around. Took out the fcu and noticed a bit of black wet soot on it, so wiped it off. Then saw a smudge back by wear the trigger bar pivots in the fcu body. Wiped that off. Found some more, wiped it off. After that I noted that it was whitish and greasy. Drat! Maybe that was supposed to be there?!? Anyone know if this is so - should I reapply some or was this just a factory preservative type thing?

·
Registered
101 Posts
...I'll be the first to ask...did you clean it out of the box before that first range trip?

It sounds like the soot pattern was exactly like I get on my 3 P320's, but I've yet to use grease "in" the FCU, I do, however, grease the rails that the slide rides on.....but perhaps I am the one doing it incorrectly....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes, there should be some grease on/around the trigger bar at all times (not a mess though!)... this is the PELT trigger install video with Bruce Gray, but check out the 10:20 mark... he lubes the trigger bar before reassembly.

https://vimeo.com/198510269

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I have been using the Super Lube that Robert Burke recommends on my P320. The bearing surfaces of the FCU are super slick and the PFE in Super Lube enhances it even more. My 320 has the Gray Gun's flat trigger, spring and lubed with super lube grease on the triggar bar and Lucas oil elsewhere. Trigger pull is as consistent 3-3.5 lbs. NO MODS other than Gray Guns PELT flat face trigger. This weapon is a keeper.

super Lube

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on Tex, as soon as I hit "send" on this post I realized that I should have clarified that. :) Though I never had previously cleaned a new gun before shooting it, this time I actually did. Noted that in the. owners manual it was recommended. I understand that many do anyway. This was a new concept for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need to put a little bit of grease back in there. That Gray Gun trigger sounds like something I need to put on my wish list. The range officer let me shoot a mag through his Apex flat trigger p320 ; just that was even nicer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The apex is nice if you're not trying to drop the pull weight and it's only $40. Looks good too. Apex is coming out with a new trigger at the end of the month that will drop the weight 2lbs and it's only $50. The Apex trigger was the first thing I ordered for my p320, because of the looks and for $40 I wouldn't have been too upset if I didn't like it. Once I got used to it I really enjoy shooting it. I shot my buddies with the factory trigger and couldn't see myself​ going back.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding the Sig armorer sticky: when he says "...do not lubricate the sear assembly..." is this essentially referring to the "fire control unit"? Usually when I hear "lubricate" in a firearm context I think oil, does this include grease?

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
I usually just flush the FCU out as a whole with CLP when cleaning, wipe off excess, and it's good to go for a long time.

Reactions: LL2

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've solicited quite a lot of advice from various folks on what the proper lube solution is.

The consensus seems to be to stay away from grease on the 320, and just use a thin-lube on the slide and FCU.

So far, a thin-bonding lube seems to be working well.

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
I still grease the rails and barrel-hood contact areas on all my guns, but keep it clear of linkages, sears, and firing pin channels. Just a dab of Slip 2000 EWG. But one of the things I love about the P320 compared to my other guns is how simple it is to clean that FCU.

I also keep some canned air handy to clear out the inner parts of excess CLP. My only concern with that is because of the little nooks and crannies that can hold some of it, and sometimes while shooting your mags come out wet with it. Don't want it penetrating the ammo.

·
Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
440 Posts
I grease the rails withe Mil-Comm's TW25B. For the rest of the FCU, after cleaning I apply a very thin layer of oil (Mil-Comm MC-2500 oil), and I do mean very thin. Basically, I apply the oil and then wipe it with a clean cloth to get rid of excess. This leaves a very thin coat. I may not even apply oil each time - perhaps every 2nd or 3rd range session.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Morivera, interesting that you mentioned greasing the barrel hood. After my very first range session I was very unpleasantly surprised to note how scuffed up and worn my barrel hood is. It looks as if a couple thousand rounds were already put through it!?!. I don't believe the factory manual said anything about greasing the barrel (just the standard "light coat").

·
Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
440 Posts
Yeah, I put a little grease on the barrel hood as well, along with thin coat on the outside of the barrel.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ditto on the barrel hood. I like to put a light coat of grease (I use the Sig recommended Lucus Oil) on it, rack it about a dozen times then wipe off the excess, leaving a thin coat. Keeps it pristine and keeps the action smooth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.