SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally building a permanent spot for my reloading press. Originally, was reloading with a temporary set up, having my press, originally an RCBS Ammomaster, now a Dillon 550b, mounted to a 3' piece of 10" LVL left over from a construction project. I would clamp this set up to a counter top to do my reloading. Not the best set up, but it worked.

Enter the NRMA Reloading Bench. Here is a stock photo of the full bench, my intention, at this point, is to build the bench only, no storage cabinets on top.

I really like the design of the bench seems to be good and solid with plenty of space to work, will probably use the surface to clean and repair my guns, as well. Will probably lay a piece of formica on the top surface to help with surface durability and make clean up a lot easier. A coat of paint on the rest of the wood, should make for a nice looking bench.

At this point, I have about 2 hours into the project between picking up the wood and cutting all the pieces needed. I still need to cut notches in 5 of the pieces prior to final assembly, hope to have the bench assembled later today.

As to further additions, I'm thinking I might just put a piece of pegboard up where the cabinets are in the original plan. Pegboard just feels like it will be better space for my needs than these cabinets. Don't know yet, gonna have to figure that step out down the road, once I have a chance to use this bench.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
That looks like a solid bench design. I bet you enjoy having everything set up and ready to go. There is something to be said for having everything exactly the same each time you reload.
I'm a cabinet maker by profession. Looking at your pic your build will have the stability you are after even though it's a stand alone bench. The only thing I might suggest on your build is to set the leg structure in the area where it will reside prior to fastening the plywood surround. Floors are notorious for not being flat. You don't want your table to wobble and adjust leg length after completion is no fun.
Have fun with your project. Share a pic when you are done please.

·
Premium Member
18,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks like a solid bench design. I bet you enjoy having everything set up and ready to go. There is something to be said for having everything exactly the same each time you reload.
I'm a cabinet maker by profession. Looking at your pic your build will have the stability you are after even though it's a stand alone bench. The only thing I might suggest on your build is to set the leg structure in the area where it will reside prior to fastening the plywood surround. Floors are notorious for not being flat. You don't want your table to wobble and adjust leg length after completion is no fun.
Have fun with your project. Share a pic when you are done please.
Thanx for the suggestion, olbriar! I'll be putting the table on a concrete floor at this time. The floor is not terribly level, even or plumb. So rather than fight that, not knowing where the table will eventually end, as I'm not certain I'll be in the current house that much longer, I have a set of rubber feet I took off another table built on 4X4 legs. These rubber feet are actually more like caps, come up about 4", surrounding the entire bottom of the leg. These allow me to hide shims inside to level the table, regardless the surface the table rests on.

Got the notches cut in all the wood now, my old back saw comes in so handy for so many projects. Time now to get the drill out and start putting this thing together!

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
didn't see a spot for the flat screen, coffee pot &/or cup warmer, boom box, LED light strip with some directional lights, powerstrip, and a spot for the cat (if you have a cat) cause if you don't it'll make a spot right in the middle of everything every-time you sit down to get some work done. bet.

oh and peg board. I've begun working peg board into any work bench/space, because you'll need it or find a good reason for it and wondered how you lived without. ;) :)

·
Premium Member
18,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, done for the day! This thing turned out a lot nicer than I expected! Plenty of bulk to it, it is not going to move when I start pulling the crank on the Dillon. The side and back panels really give this thing good stability and it is sitting level just as I placed it, no need at this time to add the feet or shims. I made the legs 2" longer than the instructions called for, glad I did. The extra 2" allows me to fit the big Rough Neck container I have full of brass under the bench. Plenty of storage for reloading and cleaning stuff, this should work out quite nice. Still need to mount the Dillon, it is on the temporary LVL I was using previously. Think I might put formica on top and paint the rest prior to permanently mounting the press. This project ended up costing me just a shade over $100 for all the supplies. With 6 hours I have in to it, not a bad investment at all!

·
Premium Member
18,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The project is coming along nicely, should have the construction completed tomorrow! Have an overhead LED work lamp due to arrive tomorrow, get that mounted and it's time to get the bench organized. Got the Dillon mounted yesterday, this thing is not going to budge one little bit as the crank is pulled.

Put up some pegboard, need to get that populated, but should work our very well for my needs. Made a couple of end supports with some of the left over plywood, using 1X4's for the frame, the pegboard is now nice and solid, no movement fore or aft, what so ever.

·
Premium Member
18,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, all! The LED overhead shop light arrived yesterday, got it mounted. Really lights up the work area well. Still have some tools to hang on the pegboard yet, and need to organize supplies in storage area below work bench, but I think I'm now done driving screws and tightening bolts/nuts on this project. I'll post one last shot, with the light on, really liking it!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Awesome project, nice work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great job on the workbench! I had a similar setup at one time and I noticed at the beginning you mentioned possibly putting formica or something on the work surface. I don't know if you're still planning on covering the plywood but I just wanted to throw out a suggestion. On mine, I used a sheet of 3/16" masonite which provided a very nice smooth work surface and I think that would hold up better than formica.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.