SIG Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have SP2022 .40 cal and went through around 3k rounds or so without any single problems.
Recently I swapped the barrel with .357 sig and went through roughly about 500 rounds with it.
Now problem is, My slide just locks back time to time with ammo still in the mag.
I know it isn't my thumb touching slide catch level, so it isn't user error.
Are there any parts that I may have to replace only after 3k rounds? like guide rod springs?
Can anyone think of any reason why slide would lock back?
Funny thing is it does not happen every shot but like once or twice per mag load.
Thank you in the advance.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
As you know, you never read of problems with a SP2022. I am not a gun smith, but in 40+ years of shooting most problems are mag related 90% of the time. But you replaced the barrel. So, my guess is Mag 1st, then new barrel, then ammo, then operator problem, then lastly the SP2022. JMHO Also try the old barrel to see if you still have the problem, i guess you should try the other barrel first.;) Someone will know how to resolve this.:D

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,619 Posts
With your slide,, and magazine removed check to see if your Slide catch lever has any spring tension? There is a Slide Catch Lever Spring which if broken, could allow the lever to "float" putting it simply, and allowing it to erroneously lock up, without the magazines follower coming into play.

It's the part annotated by the purple arrow.

Attachments

Reactions: ray1970 and 58418

·
Registered
218 Posts
^^^^
The above description happened to my SP2022 9mm out of the box-new. I messed with multiple mags and made sure I kept my thumb off the slide lock lever and still had the issue. Sent the gun to SIG and came back repaired. SIG said they replaced the spring mentioned above, that it was missing.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,619 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts