SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this thing back in late 2019. Between some personal issues and covid I could never get to a range to shoot it. Well, today was range day and I got to shoot it.

I have 4 different magazines for it and shot them all. The most comfortable was the 12 rnd. The 15 round had feed issues, out of the two full mags I shot in the 15 it jammed 4 times. The 3rd and 4th round each time. All other mags functioned perfect. More fiddling is needed with the 15 round mag.

I found the sight on the SAS to be only useful for simple self protection center mass shooting. Meaning, it blocked so much of the center dot target at just 10 yard that I was happy to get near it. Using that sight and being consistent was tough.

On the flipside I got the crimson trace green laser tuned in and the gun is actually very accurate. I was able to group easily within 1.5” at 10 yards using the laser.

I ran Sig Sauer 365 115g through all my shooting. Then at the end I ran a 12 mag of Sig Sauer V-Crown 124g.

A total of 86 rounds went through it. Other than the 15 round mag issues I’m pleased.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The sight does take some getting used to. Glad to see you gave the SAS some range time. Nice little weapon!

Reactions: hauki

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I have the SAS. It is actually the first handgun I (was sold) bought. I gave up and bought a regular P365. Pretty good idea - so so execution unless Danger Close point shooting.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Glad to hear you liked it. I don’t have an sas, but I have a self made 365x (added the xl grip) and a standard P365. I think you have sold me on the laser. Now I just need to figure out which one I want. I know it will be green.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear you liked it. I don’t have an sas, but I have a self made 365x (added the xl grip) and a standard P365. I think you have sold me on the laser. Now I just need to figure out which one I want. I know it will be green.
If it helps, more places offer holsters for the Lima laser set up than a Crimson Trace. It took me near a year to find one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have 4 different magazines for it and shot them all. The most comfortable was the 12 rnd. The 15 round had feed issues, out of the two full mags I shot in the 15 it jammed 4 times. The 3rd and 4th round each time. All other mags functioned perfect. More fiddling is needed with the 15 round mag.
I, too, had problems with the 15rd mag on my XL. On mine, the follower was hanging up after feeding about 5 rds. It did this twice while firing at the range and, later, I was able to reproduce it at home. I suspected there was just a rough spot on the follower or inside the magazine itself. So, I just loaded and manually unloaded the mag a couple dozen times and that seems to have cleared the problem. However, I'll need to put a few more loads thru it before I'll be ready to trust it.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Crimson Trace

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
If it helps, more places offer holsters for the Lima laser set up than a Crimson Trace. It took me near a year to find one.
Really? Crossbreed and Vedder make them among a whole lot of others. Yes, LIMA more available but the CT is better.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Why are folks using 15 round magazines on a subcompact pistol? I thought the whole idea was to minimize the profile.

I've owned a P365 and a P365 XL. Both had the regular night sights and I never had a problem quickly acquiring the target. OTOH, my daughter has the SAS version and I've shot it a bunch but I can't seem to warm up to the weird sights. I have difficulty aligning them quickly. I won't criticize their usefulness for bullseye shooting because that's not what they're made for.

Like all new things it's gonna take some time before the shooting community rules on the new Sig SAS sights. I suspect people will either love them or hate them. I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Why are folks using 15 round magazines on a subcompact pistol? I thought the whole idea was to minimize the profile.

I've owned a P365 and a P365 XL. Both had the regular night sights and I never had a problem quickly acquiring the target. OTOH, my daughter has the SAS version and I've shot it a bunch but I can't seem to warm up to the weird sights. I have difficulty aligning them quickly. I won't criticize their usefulness for bullseye shooting because that's not what they're made for.

Like all new things it's gonna take some time before the shooting community rules on the new Sig SAS sights. I suspect people will either love them or hate them. I'm not a fan.
The OP has the SAS sights so I don't want to be negative. But I agree with Caveman. I'm old enough and have used "standard sights" long enough that it is hard to teach this old dog a new trick. To be fair, I also haven't placed a red dot on any handguns yet either (I do have a red dot on an AR).

For me, the 15 round magazine in my P365 seems to snag on my shirt when I try to draw. For that reason I've used a 10 or 12 rounder. Again, I probably could modify my draw technique and use the 15 just fine if I worked on it enough. I believe the fault is with my technique and not the magazine!! TG

·
Registered
416 Posts

For me, the 15rd mag is a secondary/backup mag. I would not carry it in the pistol, due to the concealability issue, but I do like the idea of having a few extra rds available upon reload.

After checking out the SAS at my LGS I quickly dismissed it as a novel idea but not for me. There are numerous threads on this forum regarding people who have difficulty acquiring the dot in a regular RDS which has a comparatively large reticle. Since the "reticle" of the SAS is barely larger than the "dot" itself, it would seem to only compound the problem. Also, sight adjustment is non-existent on the SAS, something I consider another weakness. Add to that with the SAS your focus has to be on the rear sight, just to achieve alignment, rather than the front (as when using iron sights) or the target (as when using a traditional RDS) yet another habit pattern to add to the mix.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As for the sites, I’m always willing to try new things.. these sights are very different, that’s for sure. But lets be honest, it’s a pocket pistol or BU gun. When it gets used it will be a close distance weapon and sites in that kind of situation are not usually used very much. Am I going to have time to pull the gun up and get a good enough sight picture to pull the trigger? I don’t know..

However the green laser, for me is easily acquired and I know where that gun is pointing. Even from the hip if I pull the gun from a pocket the laser tells me if I’m going to hit my target. For me that’s the reason for this gun in the configuration I have it in. Easy to draw, I can point it without having to raise it up to my face and I know where I’m shooting. This gun was going to be a laser pointer gun before I ever use the sights when I bought it.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh as for the 15 round mag for me, I only bought it for range use. Totally doesn’t work as a concealable part of this gun. For me , it also effects the guns balance too.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I
I carry with a 12 round mag in my 365X and carry a 15 round spare. The 15 rounders isn't any harder to carry than a 12 rounder and I get the benefit of 3 extra rounds in my spare mag.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts