SIG Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 4" blue Ruger Security Six for many years. Great gun! I've had a 2.75" model on my wish list for more years than I care to count. The darn things are hard to come by and often sell at**ridiculous prices. About a week ago, one popped up on the local Armslist. I sent the guy an e-mail, but unfortunately had to leave for a doctor's appointment. By the time I got back, it was gone. Likewise, I found a nice blue one on GB just a few days ago. It ended up selling for way more than I was willing to give.*:mad:

But this morning I finally scored! Another one popped up on Armslist. Surprised me because two in as many weeks is unheard of. In fact, these are the first Security Sixs listed in over a year. I texted the guy, we made arrangements and I came home with this.

It came with Pachmyer Grippers on it. I hate those.:mad: I dug around in the wood pile and came up with a set of factory targets. The pic doesn't really show it, but they're rough as a cob. Oh well, they'll do until I can find something better. I really would have preferred a blue gun, but beggars can't be choosers.* I'm happy with it!*:D

Anyway, I hope to get it to the range soon. Range report pending.*

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have Model 66 S&W with the same size barrel. I like it a lot. I used to have 4" Security Six as well. That barrel size is very functional for carry and a lot of things.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
My first handgun was a Ruger Security Six 4”. They were on special at Vances in Columbus, Ohio for $99, neighbor and I each picked one up. Built like a tank. That was a few years ago.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
You were destined to get this one. Congratulations!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I still have my blue 4" Security-Six I bought back in the mid '80's. As you said, they are built like a tank and work forever with even a minimal bit of maintenance.

I hated the wood grips and ditched them for the Pachmyer Grips - LOL. May still have them & the original box kicking around somewhere, but I've moved so many times it could be lost by now.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
My first gun purchase was a 6" stainless Security Six I bought in 1981. I sold it and have always regretted it.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Same here. The 2 3/4 is a VERY reliable weapon. A little polish in the action and it's smooth as butter.
Main Spring is very adjustable, and replacements are easy to get.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats on your find. I carried a stainless 4 inch Security Six many years ago as a duty gun in northern Illinois. It was during the time when the Model 66 was all the rage and you couldn't get one except at an outrageous price. I sold it off for something else and never thought about it again until 18 months ago when I found a very good stainless 4 inch Security Six in the case of a pawn shop in the town where I was giving a class. Since I was on my way home, I really wasn't in much of a mood to negotiate, but the shop owner was more than willing to barter as the gun had been sitting in the case for some time. Of course there was no box and it came with a set of ugly Hogue rubber grips on it. We agreed on a cash price and I came home with a gun from my past. I found a set of grips on e-bay that matched the Pachmayr Presentation grips on carried on my duty gun and that's how I keep it. With the purchase of that gun, I have a copy of every gun I carried as a police duty gun before I went on active duty with the Air Force: S&W Model 15 (issued by the city, had to be carried while on probation; I also carried one in the Air Force, first as Security Police, then as an aircrew member. I actually deployed to Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield carrying a Model 15, which was quickly replaced with a M9), Ruger Security Six, Colt Python (birthday/first wedding anniversary present from my wife; I still have that gun), and S&W Model 639.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I still have my blue 4" Security-Six I bought back in the mid '80's. As you said, they are built like a tank and work forever with even a minimal bit of maintenance.

I hated the wood grips and ditched them for the Pachmyer Grips - LOL. May still have them & the original box kicking around somewhere, but I've moved so many times it could be lost by now.
The 4" Security-Six I bought years ago was stolen and replaced later by a 6" Security-Six. I don't like the wood grips for shooting heavy loads and use Pachmyer's when I'm going to shoot full house .357s with it. But, I keep the wood grips on it for show and tell cuz they're so much better looking.

To the OP, I'm glad you were able to acquire a grail gun. Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Range Report:

Just got back from the range. First thing I discovered was that the previous owner had the rear sight cranked all the way down. But once I got it adjusted, all was well. I put about 150 rounds through*it. A mixed bag ranging from .38 Specials to full house .357s. No problems. In*fact the gun is kinda boring. Goes bang every time and hits where pointed. Although I do tend to pull right just a bit in DA shooting. But, I was planning to change the grips anyway and that should fix that. Overall, I'm very pleased with it.*:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts