SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended a Defensive Shotgun course today with my recently-acquired police trade-in Remington 870 Police Magnum.

It was the first time I had a chance to fire the gun. It operated flawlessly and the sights were dead nuts. I really enjoyed running it and it will supplant my pistols as my primary HD weapon now.

But what I want to post about is the ammo I used. MC tipped me off to Federal Tactical LE 00 Flite Control, and after today I'm a believer.

I patterned my gun with it at 15, 12, 9, and 6 yards. Another guy running exactly the same gun as mine did the same with his standard 00 buck. Here are the results.

His:

Mine:

Those results speak for themselves. In fact, my patters were so tight the instructor told me to make one of mine a head shot. No one else had been allowed to do this because of the risk of stray pellets ricochetting off the steel arms of the target holders, which extended down to the targets from the ceiling.

Bottom line is we are responsible for every single pellet that leaves our barrels, and inside your home a pellet that misses your intended target could end up inside someone you care about very much.

That means you want tight patterns with no strays, and Federal Tactical LE Flite Control delivers that better than any other shell I know of.

I also ran some Estate 00 buck and on top of the tighter patterns, the Flite Control recoiled less. Go get some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,070 Posts
Always went with the 4 Buck. Slug, #0000, #0000, Slug.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You really cannot beat the Police 870s, one of the finest defensive weapons. Its my go to for HD, forget rifles, pistols, give me the 870, and everything will be taken care of. Mine is a 95 that was a police trade in with the Remington LE folding metal stock off an old wingmaster. I recently went through the gun and put rifle night sights on it, along with a new recoil spring and new LE synthetic stock and foregrip. If you ever go through yours, keep in mind that the police guns use different parts than a regular 870, such as the springs and stocks.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
You really cannot beat the Police 870s, one of the finest defensive weapons. Its my go to for HD, forget rifles, pistols, give me the 870, and everything will be taken care of. Mine is a 95 that was a police trade in with the Remington LE folding metal stock off an old wingmaster. I recently went through the gun and put rifle night sights on it, along with a new recoil spring and new LE synthetic stock and foregrip. If you ever go through yours, keep in mind that the police guns use different parts than a regular 870, such as the springs and stocks.
No argument w/ the Police 870....that and my Benelli M4 are a great pair. Different but both always dependable.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I shot a shotgun only club match a month ago.
I didn't read the rules carefully enough, I brought #4 buck and the mandatory buck targets were #3+.
I got Rio 00 off the match director, didn't have time to pattern it.

I Miked a paper target at 20yds, completely haloed it with 9 pellets.

Just got a case of 13300 in yesterday to keep my case of Ranger Low Recoil 1oz slugs company.
Both of them work fine, and I'm lazy and keep an IC choke in all the time.
I can see people using cylinder bore HD shotguns really liking FC buck.
For me it's the tightest patterning buck that will cycle my Benelli, with lowest recoil for 8+ shot strings.

Moral of this story, no matter what you are doing, know what your ammo is going to do ahead of time.
Keep a decent stock and don't let chance prevail.

I've been shooting my Benelli M1 exclusively for action games.
There's something about shotgun that just does it for me more than pistol or rifle.
I guess I'm the opposite of every other guy that's tried 3gun.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
That means you want tight patterns with no strays, and Federal Tactical LE Flite Control delivers that better than any other shell I know of.
I guess, I just went looking for a vid, and that stuff is most impressive.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I've been using it and stocking it for quite some time.
That would be my only complaint and that is that yes you do actually have to aim it.
As said at SD distances which to me I guess is 10yds or less it really does just pop a small hole in things. It is ALMOST tight and accurate enough to make an aimed shot and only hit what you're aiming at. Even at 25yds all pellets are on the target. Good stuff. And it's easy on the shoulder as well.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I wasn't aware that this stuff is that tight, I have seen it but never used it.

I suppose I will have to add some to the pile..................sigh.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just posted this in another before I saw this thread. One shell each @ 50 ft. Right now I have a couple sleeves of the FC 00Buck, FC #1Buck& non-FC 000Buck. About to order a case of the #1Buck to have a little stockpile now that I know it cycles my m4.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I attended a Defensive Shotgun course today with my recently-acquired police trade-in Remington 870 Police Magnum.

It was the first time I had a chance to fire the gun. It operated flawlessly and the sights were dead nuts. I really enjoyed running it and it will supplant my pistols as my primary HD weapon now.

But what I want to post about is the ammo I used. MC tipped me off to Federal Tactical LE 00 Flite Control, and after today I'm a believer.

I patterned my gun with it at 15, 12, 9, and 6 yards. Another guy running exactly the same gun as mine did the same with his standard 00 buck. Here are the results.

His:

Mine:

Those results speak for themselves. In fact, my patters were so tight the instructor told me to make one of mine a head shot. No one else had been allowed to do this because of the risk of stray pellets ricochetting off the steel arms of the target holders, which extended down to the targets from the ceiling.

Bottom line is we are responsible for every single pellet that leaves our barrels, and inside your home a pellet that misses your intended target could end up inside someone you care about very much.

I also ran some Estate 00 buck and on top of the tighter patterns, the Flite Control recoiled less. Go get some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a big difference in pattern. Shotgun were identical, including choke?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a big difference in pattern. Shotgun were identical, including choke?
Yep.

Both were improved cylinder 870 Police Magnums with 18.5 inch barrels.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That is one shotgun I would like to buy one day, does anyone know the maker or model?

Benelli SuperNova...

I no longer use the Limb Saver, it's on my H&R 280 Rem, lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.