SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
HST and Gold Dots are both great choices. Personally I like HST 147 GR +P for my 9MM SD pistols.

Reactions: Tacops fan

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hydra Shoks are excellent I carried it since I got my CCW permit. If you have a full size pistol, you're good to go.

With that said, I switched to 124 grain and 115 grain Speer Gold Dot. Since Hydra Shoks are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
HST and Gold Dots are both great choices. Personally I like HST 147 GR +P for my 9MM SD pistols.
I carried 124g +P Gold Dot for a while, now I'm all 147g +P HST in 9mm. I made the switch due to better testing results and that I shoot 147g suppressed, so it made my 9mm range and carry ammo the same at 147g.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I use Gold Dot or Remington Golden Saber exclusively in autoloaders.
I use HST in my revolver. HST has some bad press with respect to FTF with sticking on the feed ramps.

Reactions: Redline727

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Any of those will work fine. They're three of the top offerings, so just pick one, or get all, and you'll be well served.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use HST in my revolver. HST has some bad press with respect to FTF with sticking on the feed ramps.
Could you link to some of this bad press, as I haven't seen anything negative about HST rounds.

I use 124 grain HST rounds in my carry gun, Glock 43; my nightstand gun, P229 Legion; and in a Kel Tec Sub 2000 and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've used them all. I have tested each in my carry and HD guns, and all work well. I'd offer that GDs are common for LEOs in my area, so i go with that first, but have plenty of HSTs in my possession as well.

As others said, pick up each, test 50-100 in each carry or HD piece. Decide what works best for you and your firearm.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I carried 124g +P Gold Dot for a while, now I'm all 147g +P HST in 9mm. I made the switch due to better testing results and that I shoot 147g suppressed, so it made my 9mm range and carry ammo the same at 147g.
I was surprised how soft shooting the HST 147 +P is in my handguns including my Walther PPS.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I was surprised how soft shooting the HST 147 +P is in my handguns including my Walther PPS.
I was also surprised by that in my 19. Extremely soft shooting.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Could you link to some of this bad press, as I haven't seen anything negative about HST rounds.

I use 124 grain HST rounds in my carry gun, Glock 43; my nightstand gun, P229 Legion; and in a Kel Tec Sub 2000 and haven't had any problems.
I ran into it on a couple of the Glock boards last year. There was also some conversation about it on the Walter forum, and on the Defensive Carry Forum.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I currently carry 147gr gold dots in all of my CC weapons. I shoot 147gr FMJ at the range for target shooting. The 147 is surprisingly soft as others have stated.

I would carry with HST if I could find them. All my local gun stores are always out of stock on them. I even searched the net a few times with none to be found anywhere. Georgia Arms is 8 miles from my house and they have thousands of 147gr gold dots on hand all the time so this is what I carry. I buy a few hundred at a time and carry them for a year then I shoot them and buy a few hundred fresh rounds to replace them.

Replacing ammo that's only a year old is a little excessive but I believe we should shoot what we carry every once and a while so I came up with this yearly rotation because it allows me to shoot my carry ammo and keeps fresh ammo in my magazines.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Most LEOs are issued Speer Gold Dot ammo for duty.
Along with Winchester Ranger T-Series and Ranger Bonded. I will buy HST, Gold Dot, or Ranger T/ Bonded without a second though, simply based on who has what in stock for a decent price. As far as I'm concerned the three are pretty much interchangeable. I do like that Ranger are available in +P+...I'm not sure if the other two are or not.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts