SIG Talk banner

Federal Brass in 40 S&W ?

2747 16
I bought some brass on line . It was listed as once fired cleaned and polished brass . It was very clean and polished 40 S&W Federal brass . Is there any problem with reloading Federal brass in 40 S&W ? Someone at the range said to me Federal brass in 40 S&W wasn't any good for reloading .

I'm looking for more than one opinion , before I trash this brass .

TIA
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I have never noticed any problems with Federal brass in any caliber. I would not trash it, Try it and see for your self. If you find a problem then trash it. If your friend uses really hot loads you might find a problem, other than that I think it is good to go. I really think you will like Federal brass. Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never noticed any problems with Federal brass in any caliber. I would not trash it, Try it and see for your self. If you find a problem then trash it. If your friend uses really hot loads you might find a problem, other than that I think it is good to go. I really think you will like Federal brass. Good luck!
Thank you very much for your quick reply , and help .

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
There are an awful lot of people in the gun world who have an opinion but don't know what they're talking about.

Federal is good to go and I've been using it for a long, long time in a bunch of calibers and gauges.

And to put any future inquiries to rest, there is no bad brass for reloading that I'm aware of and I use range brass from every manufacturer that exists exclusively in every handgun caliber I reload and also in .223 and .30-06.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flash LB , Thank you for your help . I was just looking at the 2017 Alliant Powder Reloader's Guide , and the cases they have listed for 40 S&W are Federal , and Speer . Also this guide is showing Max Loads .

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Thank you for your help .

I know Aluminum , and Steel cases are out of the question , for reloading .
In the event of the zombie apocalypse, and I run out of all other brass... I will reload steel. :lol:

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Flash LB , Thank you for your help . I was just looking at the 2017 Alliant Powder Reloader's Guide , and the cases they have listed for 40 S&W are Federal , and Speer . Also this guide is showing Max Loads .
I haven't seen this guide, but I'm not at all surprised they listed Federal as Federal is one of the 30 or so companies owned by Vista Outdoor as is Alliant.

Alliant Powder - About Us

For future reference, it's almost, by not quite, unheard of for a reloading manual to specify brass manufacturers. Some will indicate a certain primer or bullet as well as the powder type and charge weight, but that's the extent of it.

Use whatever brass you have laying around and you won't have a problem in the world because of it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have found that Federal and R-P case walls are ~.001" thinner than other brands. I have had an issue with one brand of bullet, in both 9mm and 40 S&W, where the bullet will push back into the case under normal thumb pressure (or even just putting the calipers on it) using both R-P and Fed brass. Yes, the die(s) is/are set up correctly. I don't have the same problem with other bullets or the same bullets in other cases. Oh, and the bullets in question have been checked for correct sizing. I ended up buying an undersized sizing die for both 9mm and 40, to solve the problem. I also have no problems using lead in those cases as the lead bullets are usually over sized for said caliber.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Wow, 0.001" makes the difference between sufficient neck tension and insufficient?

What brand bullets are we talking about and what diameters have you mic'ed them to?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The recent 2000 count batch of once fired military auction cases I got to convert from 223 to 300 blackout were total garbage. I was losing upwards of 50 per 500 to case fracturing, cracking between the neck and shoulder, and neck splits when forming. I decided not even to try on the last 500 and I dont even know if I want to load 223 in them. I have sized these but havent trimmed and inspected yet. That 1500 got put aside got pushed to the back of the stash and noted as such to maybe use on subs. It got so bad on the third batch of 500, even after annealing to try to solve the problem, I went back and inspected the first batch with a loop. Found all kinds of micro cracks i didnt see initially under normal inspection. Found 2 that had obvious porosity where it appeared hot gas blew through pinholes and damaged the outside of the case. I was reading in another forum yesterday on range pick up where there were several comments supporting this poorer quality of FC brass. Someone had a cutaway comparison of the web area between an LC and FC case. The FC base thickness was more than 0.022 thinner than The LC !!!! I know the only brass Ill source anymore is lake city. Had none of these issues after several thousand converting and standard 223 reloading. I know this doesent really apply to 40S&W but Im taking a darn hard look at any federal brass I see come through my process from now on regardless of caliber, my trust in it isnt there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The recent 2000 count batch of once fired military auction cases I got to convert from 223 to 300 blackout were total garbage. I was losing upwards of 50 per 500 to case fracturing, cracking between the neck and shoulder, and neck splits when forming. I decided not even to try on the last 500 and I dont even know if I want to load 223 in them. I have sized these but havent trimmed and inspected yet. That 1500 got put aside got pushed to the back of the stash and noted as such to maybe use on subs. It got so bad on the third batch of 500, even after annealing to try to solve the problem, I went back and inspected the first batch with a loop. Found all kinds of micro cracks i didnt see initially under normal inspection. Found 2 that had obvious porosity where it appeared hot gas blew through pinholes and damaged the outside of the case. I was reading in another forum yesterday on range pick up where there were several comments supporting this poorer quality of FC brass. Someone had a cutaway comparison of the web area between an LC and FC case. The FC base thickness was more than 0.022 thinner than The LC !!!! I know the only brass Ill source anymore is lake city. Had none of these issues after several thousand converting and standard 223 reloading. I know this doesent really apply to 40S&W but Im taking a darn hard look at any federal brass I see come through my process from now on regardless of caliber, my trust in it isnt there.
I thank you very much for your help , and input .

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I thank you very much for your help , and input .
No problem.... Like others have said Id probably not trash it right out of the gate. I dont load 40 and I cant say Ive noticed any issues with any FC in pistol calibers Ive loaded. Ill be looking harder from now on though. Id say Look them over well, load a batch up, and test them out. Worst case scenario, put them aside for shooting sessions where you know you will not be able to recover them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No problem.... Like others have said Id probably not trash it right out of the gate. I dont load 40 and I cant say Ive noticed any issues with any FC in pistol calibers Ive loaded. Ill be looking harder from now on though. Id say Look them over well, load a batch up, and test them out. Worst case scenario, put them aside for shooting sessions where you know you will not be able to recover them.
I very much appreciate your advice .

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have loaded a bunch of federal in .40 and never had any issues. A few people who have used them have liked my loads in their guns. I tend to go on the light side for my target ammo though.

Haven't really had any problems with it in .223 either, but my mini eats everything and flings the empties far and wide. Still need to get a gas bushing for it someday, but I still manage to find more than I lose so not a really big deal for me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow, 0.001" makes the difference between sufficient neck tension and insufficient?

What brand bullets are we talking about and what diameters have you mic'ed them to?
Well, .001" thinner walls means .002" wider hole, doesn't it. So yeah, wow!
It makes a difference. The bullets are Precision Delta. I ordered 5k of the 115gr 9mm (mic'd to .355"), 2k of their 124 gr (also .355") and 4k of their 165gr 40 S&W, mic'd to .400", over 5 years ago. I am still trying to use them up. I use them in any brass other than Fed and R-P. I also have the EGW undersized die for both calibers.
If I don't use the EGW dies, I only load lead bullets in those case brands. I can't explain it...I discovered the problem while spot checking OAL. I had several bullets push into the case while just bringing the jaws down on the loaded cartridge. So I just pulled them out with finger pressure/grip and measured the dia. Right on spec! Then I started looking at the cases for splits or any other problem. That is when I noticed that all (I went back and checked every single round in those cases, over 800!) were either Federal or R-P. The PD bullets do NOT slip in any other brand of case.
So, I will still order and PD bullets, because I have the fix!
Pretty simple really.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.