SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in this test I did the normal work up with a little extra. Two rounds into bare gel, two rounds into heave clothing, and two rounds from a short barrel pistol in bare gel. Lastly I tried something new. Two rounds from a short barreled pistol into gel covered with a single layer T-shirt.

The first four rounds were fired from a Sig 320 compact with a 4 inch barrel. The first round fired into bare gel had a velocity of 1101fps and penetrated to 17.5 inches and expanded to .59 inches. Round number two had a velocity of 1113fps, penetrated to 15 inches and expanded to .61 inches.

The first round into the heavy clothing had a impact velocity of 1109fps expanded to .61 inches and penetrated to 18 inches. The second round penetrated to 17 inches and expanded to .58 inches. The crony didn’t pick up the velocity.

Now some short barreled test with my 3 inch S&W Shield. Two rounds into bare gel then two through cotton T-shirt covered. Round one in the bare gel had a velocity of 1017fps, penetrated to 16.5 inches, with expansion of .62 inches. Round two also penetrated to 16.5, expanded to .64 inches with a velocity of 1051fps.

Finally, two round fired from a 3 inch Shield into gel covered by a cotton T-shirt. I didn’t get a velocity reading on the first round but it penetrated to 14 inches and expanded to .63 inches. The last round impacted 1024fps, penetrated to 15.75 inches and expanded to .65 inches.

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
932 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Impressive, 5pins. Very good research. Was watching YouTube videos of tests, but yours is more inclusive. Considering Summer wear, the Tee shirt test is something hot addressed by other testers. Your test results are also in line with those on the internet. Congratulations, and Thank-You!

I'll keep my 150gr HST micros for my P938, and my P226 TACOPS, but save that ammo for colder weather. Will have to get a case or two of the Federal HST 9mm 124 GRAIN for the other nine months of the year. Have the two listed above, and will get my P226 Legion SAO this weekend... Staying with 9mm, as it's easier for me, at my age.

Again, Thanks!, 5pins.

·
Registered
176 Posts
HSTs are my carry choice as well in 9mm. I really like all four variants (124 gr and 147 gr standard and +P). Your results are consistent with results from other testing I have seen and reviewed.

For those of you carrying 9mm short barrel pistols (3 inches or less), my research has led me to conclude that the HST family appears to be the best in terms of consistent penetration in that magic 12-18 inch zone, expansion, and weight retention. Of course, this is determined according to results utilizing standardized methods and materials (e.g., bare gel, denim, etc.). Pick your poison, as both 124 gr and 147 gr perform nearly identically. I currently prefer 124 gr standard pressure in my P290RS, but am still "testing" to see if I can consistently shoot one variant better than the other. I don't really detect any noticeable recoil difference among the four. For those looking to use +P, make sure your pistol can handle it first, just as a matter of protecting your investment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great research. I have also chosen to focus and consolidate towards 9mm. I can shoot more at reasonable prices and have the ammo capacity on my side. I still have my 45 1911s but dont shoot them nearly as much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.