SIG Talk banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just got off the phone with a SIG armorer, Robert, who confirmed to me that the only way they ever got the pistol to fire, on impacts, was to actually take out that safety block and then to hit down hard, on the magazine, which would then make it fire. He said "hitting it hard like you were driving a nail." Other than that, with the safety in place we have never gotten it to fire when dropped or hit.. severely. He also said the chances were in the . three decimal places, so 0.001 per cent that it could happen.

The FBI test the issue was the magazine floor plate broke during the drop test. This is from Robert C. Burke, a Factory Certified Armorer of SIG Sauer.
I'll trust his input over internet rumor and speculations.

It would be interesting to talk to "Factory Certified Armorer", Robert C. Burke now.

·
Premium Member
10,992 Posts
So do we still think the first video with the gun firing dropped grip-down is a hoax?

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
So do we still think the first video wit the gun firing dropped grip-down is a hoax?

At this point, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PhillySoldier

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Are we still at the hoax phase? You know, "doesn't pass the smell test," "cite the source," "where's the link," "troll," "no legitimate source," etc.

The problem here is that with social media such as it is, the real news - as in this case - broke here, in a forum. And, when you're light years ahead of the "legitimate news" and you're the one breaking the story its kind of hard to cite a source or provide a link that doesn't exist yet. Maybe we didn't always get it right, but we also didn't let go till we ran it to ground.

·
Registered
780 Posts

From the article:
""There was never a “defect” with the P320. The confusion stemmed from an out-of-date manual that was given to the Dallas Police Department’s new lieutenant, according to Hunter.

Taking the necessary precautions with the older manual, the lieutenant temporarily suspended use of the P320 until Dallas PD could get in touch with Sig Sauer to clarify the issue.""

It's statements like this that start the rumor mill running again. Would it have been that much trouble for the article author to research and report what the "issue" needing clarification was?

·
Premium Member
10,992 Posts
From the article:
""There was never a “defect” with the P320. The confusion stemmed from an out-of-date manual that was given to the Dallas Police Department’s new lieutenant, according to Hunter.

Taking the necessary precautions with the older manual, the lieutenant temporarily suspended use of the P320 until Dallas PD could get in touch with Sig Sauer to clarify the issue.""

It's statements like this that start the rumor mill running again. Would it have been that much trouble for the article author to research and report what the "issue" needing clarification was?
Crazy that this 'mistake' in manual interpretation inspired some online retailer to find out if it could happen anyway.

And here we are.

Crazier still that Sig already had a fix.

·
Registered
278 Posts
From the article:

Then add the first video that has long ago been removed to the mix. The sketchy video along with its sudden removal tended to add credibility to the story being a hoax. Now it seems the problem is being reproduced by credible sources.

At first it seemed the quick and easy fix would be a glock type of trigger. Now it seems there may be more involved with the fix. Time will tell of course.

This whole thing has me wondering how other guns would do with these types of tests. It other guns are being tested in a similar way, I think it would be equally important to post the results whether the gun goes off or not.......

·
Registered
680 Posts
From the article:

This article also stated that the p320 has had ZERO reported drop discharges although worded slyly to not point to all markets/versions of this gun. We now know there have been reported issues

·
Premium Member
10,992 Posts
Then add the first video that has long ago been removed to the mix. The sketchy video along with its sudden removal tended to add credibility to the story being a hoax. Now it seems the problem is being reproduced by credible sources.

At first it seemed the quick and easy fix would be a glock type of trigger. Now it seems there may be more involved with the fix. Time will tell of course.

This whole thing has me wondering how other guns would do with these types of tests. It other guns are being tested in a similar way, I think it would be equally important to post the results whether the gun goes off or not.......
That's what I've also noted several times....as it would help put this whole thing into better perspective. Still, it is a legitimate concern and thankfully something that is being addressed.

A lot of us were hoping that this wasn't true, because it's a great gun otherwise. I don't carry my P320C that often, but I still love it and consider it my go-to/$HTF gun. It's probably the most reliable gun I've owned and it has well over 7,000 rounds through it without even a hint of a malfunction or issue. Frankly, I don't know if I'm going to do the changes when they're available. At least I'm going to wait and see how other feel about them, if it changes how the gun feels, etc.

Reactions: southswede1

·
Registered
132 Posts
I always asume that if I dropped my gun from waist high to 20 feet or more it might go bang. Haven't dropped any of mine in 38 year's so I don't know if it goes bang. I imagine it would/ could.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts