SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a P365 that has been flawless until now with everything I've fed it. I had this 50 round box of Tula ammo (steel cases) that I thought I would burn first and...

Pistol failed to return to battery and was stuck. I had to forcefully hit the slide and it finally went to battery and fired the rest of the rounds with no problem. So far, that has been my only issue with this gun after 750 rounds.

I'm thinking that it's no big deal since it seems ammo related. However, this is a gun I carry often and it's in the back of my head...

My other carry is a G36 with over 3,500 flawless rounds through it but I have never used steel cased ammo on that one.

Any other experiences out there with Tula steel?

·
Premium Member
10,458 Posts
I realize that int these times you have to get what you can (especially for practice), but I do everything I can to avoid steel cased 9mm in anything but a PCC for a casual range day. I certainly wouldn't judge the reliability of any of my important/defense handguns by how the stuff functions through them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I simply refuse to shoot steel case ammo.
Same here, it's brass for me. Brass against steel(chamber) has inherent lubricating properties. Back in my younger days playing with model airplane engines which revved up very fast 20,000 rpm+, the standard was aluminum, brass, chrome, plus the castor oil.

·
Registered
692 Posts
This topic has come up so many times on SIG Talk. Especially when there's another ammo shortage or price spike.

Read the SIG manual regarding the type of ammo recommended for top performance and reliability. I liken my SIG's to a high performance car. Tighter tolerances, greater accuracy.

It's like....Can you burn regular gas in your high performance car? Yeah, maybe.
Will it cause engine damage? Maybe. Maybe not.
Will you still get the same high performance you expect? Probably not.
If you can't afford High Test gas you probably should not buy a high performance car; or maybe select a different car that doesn't require it.

Here's an epic test done by Lucky Gunner that may answer some questions:
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Bottom Line....over many thousands of rounds....NO failures whatsoever running Federal brass case. A variety of failures using three different brands of Steel Case including Tulammo.

Russian Roulette anyone??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your comments! I have very little experience with steel cased ammo... I bought a couple of boxes for my AR because it was all I could get and I have shot a couple of boxes, one of .380 and this one of 9mm.
This time I also noticed there were a lot of sparks coming out. It seems these rounds are really low quality stuff that also wear out your barrels faster. I'll stay away from it. Especially since I reload and I'm not only dependent on what I can find at a particular time...
I'm always very concerned about a failure in my carry guns, so your input puts my mind at ease and it is very much appreciated...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a problem with steel cased ammo, but as I recall it was Remington/ About 1 per magazine would stick in the chamber, while the extractor slipped off the rim. So I just had to poke the case out with a dowel.

Gonna watch that video now!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The indoor range I use will not let you run steel case, said the RSO's were spending too much time clearing jams for ppl.

That + what CZSIG-Vinny said = no steel case for me !

·
Registered
305 Posts
i found 20rnds or so in the back of my safe and it all ran through the 365 NP. have to admit, i was surprised

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I would and have used aluminium cased ammo. Would only use steel if it was a life or death situation and that was all I could get for my guns.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Thank you for your comments! I have very little experience with steel cased ammo... I bought a couple of boxes for my AR because it was all I could get and I have shot a couple of boxes, one of .380 and this one of 9mm.
This time I also noticed there were a lot of sparks coming out. It seems these rounds are really low quality stuff that also wear out your barrels faster. I'll stay away from it. Especially since I reload and I'm not only dependent on what I can find at a particular time...
I'm always very concerned about a failure in my carry guns, so your input puts my mind at ease and it is very much appreciated...
Pony up and buy some reliable defense rounds. Most come in 20 round boxes. This is the stuff you want on your bedside table. You don't have to buy a large quantity. If I feel like shooting that gun I will usually have a few mags with non-JHP and keep the JHP for home or personal defense.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I've had three problems with TulAmmo and will not use it again.

The first was with my a S&W 386NG, .357 Magnum, aluminum/scandium frame, titanium cylinder, steel barrel in a shroud. Second round fired but then I could not turn the cylinder. We checked all the suspects, such as bullets that had moved forward, case heads against the blast shield. Nope. It took two of us, one trying to wiggle and turn the cylinder while the second pulled on the trigger and hammer. All the rounds and shells were difficult to get out, we could not do it with the ejector rod. The fired shells would not go into the chambers. I sent the gun to S&W just to be sure and they replaced the hand, no charge.

Second was in my ancient Sig P228. Holes were all over the target, some keyholed. Rounds fed and ejected fine, but that was it.

Third was a .45ACP jam in a 1911. Shell partly extracted and jammed the gun tight. After checking that the round had fired, we tapped the front of the slide with a plastic hammer until it broke loose. I tossed the rest of the ammo in all cases.

However, German 7.62 NATO Herter's steel case has worked flawlessly in my M1A. I'd buy it again and recommend it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts