SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been using this in my EDC carry, and have not had any issues until now (~150 rounds fired)

I experienced a failure-to-fire in my FNX45 (tried twice) and my HK45C (my EDC).

I have consulted with my local gunsmith and a range officer (both NRA certified instructors) and from what we can determine is this appears to be a dud round (bad primer?).

I don't have a lot of handgun experience, but I was surprised to have a dud on a Sig Sauer JHP. I'm not sure I should be using this as EDC ammo now.

Do I have a bad lot? Was there a recall? Should I notify Sig about this?

My thanks for any advice you can offer. I do have other defensive ammo options so not a big deal there, and I'm have been training malfunction drills anyway so a failure to fire isn't the end of the world for me. I was just surprised that this happened on Sig ammo.

2021-05-18 14-17-20.jpeg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Looks like it was a solid primer strike. Maybe a fluke but, I’ve never had that happen with Federal HST. I guess it could happen with any ammo. I’d be worried if it happened more than once.

·
Registered
mk25, 516 7.5, 365xl, p2000sk, PWS mk109, Stag Model 1, Dead Air, Streamlight, Romeos and Eotechs
42 Posts
sometimes they don't go bang

Reactions: paularmola

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Call Sig customer service. They will make it right

·
Registered
449 Posts
Millions & millions of primers get produced, seems to me there's bound to be some that are defective. That said, if it happens again, I'd certainly question that batch !

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
Hello,

I have been using this in my EDC carry, and have not had any issues until now (~150 rounds fired)

I experienced a failure-to-fire in my FNX45 (tried twice) and my HK45C (my EDC).

I have consulted with my local gunsmith and a range officer (both NRA certified instructors) and from what we can determine is this appears to be a dud round (bad primer?).

I don't have a lot of handgun experience, but I was surprised to have a dud on a Sig Sauer JHP. I'm not sure I should be using this as EDC ammo now.

Do I have a bad lot? Was there a recall? Should I notify Sig about this?

My thanks for any advice you can offer. I do have other defensive ammo options so not a big deal there, and I'm have been training malfunction drills anyway so a failure to fire isn't the end of the world for me. I was just surprised that this happened on Sig ammo.

View attachment 400953

View attachment 400954
Welcome from Texas.
I would say a bad lot.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How old is the ammo ? If it’s recent manufactured I’d email Sig and I would load and fire the entire box.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hope you get your ammo straightened out.

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
Looks like bad primers. That one photo shows the firing pin drilled that primer but didn't ignite.

Contact SIG with the Lot number. They may have received other reports.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I also would guess bad primer. I would not be concerned. I probably would not even bother to contact Sig. Given the amount of ammo made each day there are bound to be some bad rounds. You were just unfortunate enough to get one. Use it as a reminder to practice clearing a malfunction when doing your drills.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Email SIG with your photos. Don't phone, it's better to have your inquiry in writing. Make sure the lot number is clearly displayed. Let them know that you had 2 failures out of 150, and that you still have 850 remaining. Tell them this was your EDC ammo. Offer to return the two defective cartridges. Hopefully you kept them.
Be polite. The tone of your email should be, "I thought you'd want to know...".
SIG should want to know, especially where SD ammo is concerned. Doesn't matter if you are a one-off or not.
They will probably do something for you, but I wouldn't ask for anything.
Unless SIG asks for the return of the 850, I'd burn through maybe 100 or so and, if there are no other failures, probably start carrying it again.
While rare, defectives do happen with factory ammo regardless of the manufacturer. This is why we practice failure drills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would very much like to know what SIG does for you.
Jack
I'll definitely post a follow up here. Might be a while, they have a warning on their website that they are a bit overloaded with email communications. As everyone in the 2a community is these days :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Notify Sig. Give then the lot number from the original box. Shoot the rest of the ammo and see if you have any other issues. Every manufacturer has a dud now and again. I've had three with duty ammo during twice annual qualification in 38 years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts