SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who wear corrective lenses to see the iron sights on our handguns, what did you and your optician come up with?

I am not talking about red and green dots etc. I am talking about corrective lenses that you wear other than contact lenses.

How do you handle it and how well is it working for you?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I had safety glasses made so that I see the sights clear when my arm is extended while aiming at the target.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you are only going.to use them at the range, you are not a gamer and they are not glasses you will wear everyday. IMHO

Don't go there. In an SD situation which I hope you never have to enter into you will have what you have.

I'm no spring chicken and while I once had eagle vision now can't read anything inside if 30"

The most successful solution FOR ME was to black out the rear and front dots if you have them. The white dots or the bucket found on Glocks just blurred my vision. With all black I just get all the tops in line across the top.

Works like a dream and I shot for speed from the holster and on good days make 50 yds shots unsupported.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
762 Posts
I wear reading glasses, so I don’t have them on all the time. I do train without them, and the front sight is a challenge. I rely more on grip and presentation to hit center of mass. I want to be able to hit the target without having to stop to put glasses on!!

At the range, I have a pair of shooting glasses with a full lens (about a +1.50). They were a standard item I found online. They work well for me.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The red dot sight is a better solution than glasses that may not be available when needed. I've converted several SIGs by buying a slide with a red dot. The slide replacement route has gotten more expensive recently.

I had a fall in the forest with a 229 carrying a Romeo1. The pistol came out in perfect shape which is more than I can say.

Bill

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have glasses that are corrected for two different distances. One lens/eye is for distance and the other is corrected for arms length distance, good for things like computer screens, car dashboards, and pistol sights...if I want to focus on the front sight instead of the target.

The brain wires things together. I mostly don't notice which eye is doing what...and the other eye supports the one in charge for the current distance.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I tried the SSP Eyewear top bifocal shooting glasses with limited success. You can mix and match right and left lenses and do like scuba mentioned. My optician told me the reason they didn't work well for me, they don't correct for my astigmatism. I was thinking of getting another pair of top bifocal safety glasses for shooting.

TOP FOCAL TACTICAL – SSP Eyewear

Reactions: scuba

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have clarified that these proposed eye glasses are strictly for play (shooting hanging steel plates).

I have lasers, red & green dots & lights on my SD/HD firearms but recently brought an old Beretta 92FS out to play with a .22 conversion kit. I have a Laser Grip that is fine with the 9mm indoors but unsatisfactory outdoors in bright sunlight.

I figured I should look into being able to shoot various iron sighted guns rather than giving up on iron sights.

Unless I am mistaken, I used to have a pair of prescription shooting glasses years ago that worked fine with iron sites.

Am I mistaken?

I am overdue for my annual diabetes check up with my ophthalmologist so I figured I might as well ask the question now and then see what choices he has to offer. I have been putting this off because of the Covid situation.

I also have astigmatism.

Thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
My regular glasses are trifocals "with the lines!" with the middle trifocal section made as large as the lens grinders will make it, and placed higher than normal. This gives me perfect computer distance and also perfect handgun sight picture distance - without having to tilt my head.

My range shooting safety glasses with the side protection are just the trifocal Rx in the entire lens.

This has worked very well for me for over 15 years. Occasionally I forget to put on my range safety glasses and that just happens to be good "real world" shooting practice for me, but without the protective side pieces.

Without any Rx glasses on there is no expensive "dot thingy" that would help me because everything is totally blurred at that close range.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Another one here with a bad astigmatism in both eyes with clear vision super close up but blurry distance without correction. Old prescription cleared up the distance issue, but since things gradually keep getting worse as the years go on, Rx was impeding my sight picture with pistols.

My doc ended up telling me to bring in one of my rifles with optic mounted and one of my carry pistols so he could find a good Rx that would clear both things up using multi focal contact lenses, and I couldn’t be happier. Granted, if I’m reading super small fine print I still have to put on reading glasses, but otherwise these things are good to go for round-the-clock usage. Took a couple of days for my eyes to adjust to them but once they did, what a difference! So nice to be able to focus on a front sight, be it rifle or pistol, and to also look through my optic and have the reticle and BDC lines crystal clear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've tried progressive lenses, correction on top, magnification on bottom kinda setup, works very well. But - like mentioned above, would I be wearing those in a SD situation? Tried magnification on top and focus only on front sight, so so results. So currently am running no correction on top and slight mag on bottom ( to help with blurry loading, handling etc..I also contrast my rear - front sights using
luminescent sight paints. That is where am at for now.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
For the range, I have prescription safety glasses with side protection inserts made every couple of years.

My dominant eye gets a fixed focus lens set to the distance about 5 inches beyond my extended hand. This puts the sharp focus point at the front sight of a handgun as well as a shouldered rifle. Everything else is naturally out of focus in low light, as it should be. In brighter light, more depth of field brings more into focus, but i use my other eye for that.

My non-dominant eye gets a progressive lens set to my normal prescription. This allows me to read things at close distance as well as see detail like the target in sharp focus at far distance.

I tend to shoot more accurately when wearing these glasses.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I had safety glasses made so that I see the sights clear when my arm is extended while aiming at the target.
Pretty much this. I glued my favorite sight to a stick and held it out for him. Took two tries, the first was good for the sights but not for the targets. He backed off 1/4 diopter and they were perfect, sights targets and I don't have to take them off constantly at matches to avoid eye strain.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I was very happy with SSP Eyewear | Bifocals, Tactical, Industrial and Sportsman Eyewear products until recently (not them but my eyes). They sell "Top Focal" safety glasses that are bifocals except that the "reader" section is on the top (bottom is uncorrected). A slight dip of the head (to look through the top of the lens) and the sights are in focus.

Problem with that for me recently is twofold. First, since my distance vision is normal, I'm not typically wearing my reading glasses. Without them, the front sight is a complete blur. I can already see the lawyer for the defendant describing that my inability to aim a gun well made me a "reckless" shooter. Second, my eyes have gotten worse to the point where I can't seem to find a lens strength that works for both the sights and the target.

My ultimate $olution wa$ to in$tall red dot$ on every weapon I own. Costly but now I can draw from my holster with my glasses off and clearly aim a weapon.

Reactions: Oldrider

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I have astigmatism in both eyes for years and I have been right handed and left eye shooter with handguns as a kid . I have also warn trifocals for maybe 15 years now using larger than needed but polycarbonate lens . I have my moments when I can see sights and transfer to the target well but there no up close focus before going out back to shot , 22lr colt huntsman at 12ga hulls .

My middle lens is adjusted for my average front sight distance and corrected several times over the years but I have practiced Flash Sight Picture shooting since the late '70's I think but maybe up to maybe 1980 at a local ipsc match when a shooter told me the basics of this shooting style and told me I was slow moving between targets and more accurate than I needed to be once I was shooting ! So over the years for defensive practice all I do is glance over the pistols sights to see that it is well centered on a target out tp 15 yards to fire . But soon that " Flash " a little longer over the front sight back less of a flash and more of a aimed point shooting style . Peripheral vision should allow you to sight well enough at distances out to 10 yards and then with more of a Peripheral glance maybe 15 yards with controlled bullet impact with practice .

BUT and there's always a BUT I know I will need a dot optics for concealed carry at some point ,, maybe sooner than later . I've hunted with dot optics for 40 years on handguns and had a m&p core for 8 years as a fun gun and now a m&p 2.0 4" compact optic ready with a holosun 507c gr x2 I really like . I see green far easier than red under different light conditions and optic brightness to but for the color blind crowd Holosun also makes a Yellow dot for the red green color bling folks .
Also If you practice Flash Sight Picture shooting enough this type of threat focused shooting transfers to dot optics naturally . BUT red dot tend to work with corrected distance vison so if use short range visions to see sights clearly now you will have to look thru the upper part of your glasses .

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have had to deal with this as well. My 20/20 vision begins at about 8' from my eye. I need a 2.0 true reader, up close. I found a 1.5 actually gives perfect vision of front sight with one or two handed grip and slightly fuzzy rear sight. I have top focal SSP eyeglasses to give this focal point as I present gun to full extension. However, numerous trips to the range have shown that I actually shoot slightly better groups with no correction, so I just use shooting glasses with no correction now. I use red dots on several rifles, but haven't gone that way or any handguns yet. Good luck on your older age vision journey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts