SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Extended safety for P238

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  yrmomsadic 
#1 · (Edited)
New member here from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.
I am looking for an extended safety (NOT ambi) for the 238. C&S has them for $71 which is pretty steep. Midway has a C&S extended safety for the Colt Mustang for $43. From what I am reading, it looks like the 238 shares some parts common to the Colt 380's. Does anyone know, definitively, if this safety will work on the 238? Thanks very much!

Update: OK, I just saw that, apparently, the 238 and 938 safeties are interchangeable and some 938 operators have installed the Colt extended safeties without issue. True?

Update 2: See my post below. $71 was for the ambi, not extended safety.

#2 ·
I can't answer you question. I have a P238 and a Kimber Micro. I have a large assortment of mags from Mustang, Micro and P238. I played around with cross fitting oem springs and aftermarket springs as well as spring guides. I have learned some parts are a direct fit but some are close but require some minor filing or modification to cross fit. Some parts don't fit. These guns are cousins but are not identical in design. Regarding the safeties I would be very cautious regarding using one on another. They may appear to fit, but maybe so slightly different as to adversely affect function. Your safety must function as designed and be 100% reliable.

#4 ·
You don't say, but I'm guessing that your P238 is new. When my P238 was new, I found it hard to flip its safety lever to the SAFE position. But after many operations, and lubing the safety detent, I now find it easy to flip the safety to either position. And I can do that without shifting my grip. YMMV.

#5 ·
New member here from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.
I am looking for an extended safety (NOT ambi) for the 238. C&S has them for $71 which is pretty steep. Midway has a C&S extended safety for the Colt Mustang for $43. From what I am reading, it looks like the 238 shares some parts common to the Colt 380's. Does anyone know, definitively, if this safety will work on the 238? Thanks very much!

Update: OK, I just saw that, apparently, the 238 and 938 safeties are interchangeable and some 938 operators have installed the Colt extended safeties without issue. True?
If, as Pipe Smoker suggests, that if new, until the detent "wears in" the safety may seem too stiff to move quickly. The substitution of a longer levered safety may give you more of a mechanical advantage, it can also provide a greater possibility, to allow the safety to be accidently disengaged, with little effort. Another assumption is the "drop-in" swap... while there is a good possibility it will drop right in without fitting... does it fit "correctly"?

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for your responses. I did some more snooping and emailed C&S. They have these specifically for the Sig:

CS0079SIG SIG P238/938 Extended Thumb Safety = $46.36
380 Extended Safety - Stainless Steel

CS0078SIG SIG P238/938 Ambi Thumb Safety = $71.25
Colt 380 High Grip Ambi Safety - Stainless Steel

From C&S:
"Yes, we have a SIG specific version of our Colt 380 thumb safeties that have the additional locking tab that the SIG engineers added to the design. We do not have them listed on our website, so you will need to call 402-721-4277 and ask for Zach to order."

So, no more guessing about whether a Colt version will fit or not! HOWEVER, I have another question for y'all.....does anyone actually have an extended safety on their P238? I am curious as to whether the extended safety poses a possible problem with concealed carry, i.e. IWB. If it protrudes to far, it may be inadvertently flipped off during carry. Does anyone have experience with this on this gun? Thank you!!

#7 ·
I realize this is an old thread, but it led me to C&S where I bought the extended safety. I was going to answer some of the questions above for anybody who runs across this thread again. The extended safety DOES REQUIRE FITTING. Meaning if you install it yourself, be prepared to pull out your Dremel and modify it. It is NOT plug and play. The two locking tabs on the shaft were too tall to fit into the gun, had to shorten them a bit, also the detent position for FIRE needed to be hollowed out in the correct position, as it came the safety wouldn't go into FIRE. I recommend doing the assembly and disassembly with your hands and gun in a large zip lock bag, as you will likely slip once or twice with all the fittings, and shoot the detent and spring out (the bag will catch them). READ THAT AGAIN. The detent can easily shoot 20'+ (ask me how I know). Be patient, do it when you have time and a LOT of light.

Having it installed and working, it makes a big difference. It was a hassle, mostly from losing the detent and spring, but I'm glad I did it. It does stick out more in width and length. I did have to notch my leather holster where the extension is (in the SAFE position). I'm a righty, strong side carry, so the safety is against my body, however it does NOT stick out past the double thickness of the leather holster (reinforced opening for easy re-holstering of the gun).

Even with the extended safety, it requires more force than my 1911's extended safety. I think it will just require some break-in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.