SIG Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a P220 Equinox in early March this year. Gorgeous gun.

Replaced the Blackwood grips, that were too thick and too slick, with Hogue G10, Solid Black Piranha grips. Grip is perfect, along with a much slimmer hold. Love 'em.

I always felt that the Nitron finish of the Equinox was much darker compared to Classic P-Series SIGs. Today, I laid out my 229 and M11-A1 next to 220 Equinox.

The finish on the Equinox is totally BLACK. Other SIG Nitron finishes looks like ash grey, not really black. Legion finish IS grey.

Like the total Black finish, with the brushed stainless slide slabs and Nickel controls.

Did SIG make the Nitron finish darker, because it's a Sig Custom Shop model, or did I get a abnormally finished Equinox?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just pulled out the 229 Equinox & the 229 Dark Elite (or Elite Dark) and on mine, the 'black' looks the same. That being said, the Elite being all black, might appear darker since there is no contrasting finish.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just pulled out the 229 Equinox & the 229 Dark Elite (or Elite Dark) and on mine, the 'black' looks the same. That being said, the Elite being all black, might appear darker since there is no contrasting finish.
Thanks, my Equinox is Jet Black. All other SIGs are a much different shade of charcoal grey.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,619 Posts
sigsrok, I'm not real familiar with the "Nitron" process. I imagine if it is similar to bluing, in that it is done "chemically", the first items immersed in a "new" tankful of bluing salts, will have different finish, depending on the time submerged, and as water evaporates, and is replaced the "mixture" is constantly changing. Comparing to your others, do they match each other, or are they slightly different?
I'm with ronin11, in that both of my milled slides look to have identical shading, and are over 5 years difference in ages, a Mar '08 P226R and Oct '13 M11A1.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Just compared my P229 SAS with my P226 Equinox, and they appear to be identical in "blackness." However, it is worth noting that both are Custom Shop models. Unfortunately, I have no other Nitron-finished Sigs in my possession to contrast with these two, so can't really draw any definitive conclusions. I can say that the slides on both of these guns appear to have a more matte finish than the frames, and so appear more charcoal than the frame color.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
So I pulled out my Equinox and a few other milled slide guns and IMO they look the same. Comparing the wettest areas (wet to the touch with oil) to the driest areas they look equal from slide to slide. With that said the dry areas are much lighter compared to the wetter areas so maybe that's the difference your seeing? Maybe your Equinox has more oil on it, they're beautiful guns so they deserve extra ;)

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I pulled out my Equinox and a few other milled slide guns and IMO they look the same. Comparing the wettest areas (wet to the touch with oil) to the driest areas they look equal from slide to slide. With that said the dry areas are much lighter compared to the wetter areas so maybe that's the difference your seeing? Maybe your Equinox has more oil on it, they're beautiful guns so they deserve extra ;)
Nope, all excess oil is wiped off. My girlfriend looked at the Equinox and my 229, M11, 228, 238, 225. She said Equinox is a lot blacker. My neighbor, gun buddy stopped over for a beer after work. Showed him the the guns. He agreed. The Equinox is Black, all other SIGs look like dark grey in comparison.

Reactions: Twister

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Nope, all excess oil is wiped off. My girlfriend looked at the Equinox and my 229, M11, 228, 238, 225. She said Equinox is a lot blacker. My neighbor, gun buddy stopped over for a beer after work. Showed him the the guns. He agreed. The Equinox is Black, all other SIGs look like dark grey in comparison.
Interesting, I'd consider myself lucky if I were you. I love the deeper black look when mine are oily.

·
Registered
15,553 Posts
I have three Equinoxes P 220 carry, P 226 and P 938 plus a Nitron P 239 DAK the finish on the P 239 seems a little lighter that on the Equinoxes. I checked in both natural outside light and inside under the lights.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Interesting, I'd consider myself lucky if I were you. I love the deeper black look when mine are oily.
This full sized P220 Equinox is darker compared to any SIG I have. I really like the total Black finish. Nice contrast to the Nickel controls. 220 black finish is very similar to my Beretta M9 or Walther PPK/S

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Though I think the equinox gets a bit of more attention, I think the finishes are the same. I don't have an equinox to compare, but my P226 tacops is jet black compared to the grey-ish Sigs you're talking about, which I see in the stores. The difference is I keep mine well-oiled (maybe overly oiled), but I remember it started out greyish. Try this experiment. Get some hoppes field oil wipes, wipe down the finish of your p229, and then let it sit in your safe wet for a week or so. The excess oil is not going to damage the finish, in fact I think its good for it. The next time you check, presto, you'll have the same jet black finish! My theory is that they prob oil the finish on the equinox in the process of polishing the designs. Btw, this is a great way to "refresh" the finish of your SIG. Sometimes what looks like holster wear and blemishes, just needs a week of sitting wet in my safe, and my SIG looks brand new once again!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Got a P220 Equinox in early March this year. Gorgeous gun.

Replaced the Blackwood grips, that were too thick and too slick, with Hogue G10, Solid Black Piranha grips. Grip is perfect, along with a much slimmer hold. Love 'em.

I always felt that the Nitron finish of the Equinox was much darker compared to Classic P-Series SIGs. Today, I laid out my 229 and M11-A1 next to 220 Equinox.

The finish on the Equinox is totally BLACK. Other SIG Nitron finishes looks like ash grey, not really black. Legion finish IS grey.

Like the total Black finish, with the brushed stainless slide slabs and Nickel controls.

Did SIG make the Nitron finish darker, because it's a Sig Custom Shop model, or did I get a abnormally finished Equinox?
Last first...No you did not get an abnormally finished Equinox. Mine is as you describe, and indeed actual black rather than the quasi-black of the nitron finish which I have on others. Yes the Legion is definitely different than the other nitrons as well. Compared all today at 2 LGSs.

Regarding the Equinox grip, thanks for the info. My Eq 226 has always felt abnormally fat to me but the Blackwoods look so good I didn't have the heart to change em. I even wondered if it would be possible to get some kind of precision sanding job done to make them thinner but it probably wouldn't work. Now that you say the solid black Piranhas are thinner, I'll likely do the same. Can you post a picture to this thread? I'm sure it will feel more natural and actually give a better grip. As it is, I love shooting that gun (40). It's very smooth and accurate.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Since my last post, I've become a fan of CT grips, so I bought a set of Back CT laser grips for the Equinox, and it looks actually more badass than the beautifully matched wood grips that it came with. For me laser grips work great. No need to line up front and rear sights or even bring the gun up to sight level. Slow fire with them puts a whole mag into one ragged hole at 30', better than I do with the nice Nite Sights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.