SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can recall some talking of daily carry flashlights in posts here over the years. In fact, a post by Malicious Compliance once upon a time a few years ago made me realize a light is an essential item to have on me at all times. I've tried a few, my first was a MagLite MagTac that put out around 300 Lumens, but was big & took x2 CR123 batteries. As the author in this article states, I was also put onto Streamlight by Kyle Defoor. The ProTac 1L-1AA is the perfect light, at least for me. I run mine with a CR123 & it puts out 300 Lumens, which is BRIGHT, especially at night, certainly enough to disorient someone & potentially extricate yourself from a bad situation, before you are forced to use any other weapons. Before I carried a light, I thought "why would I need one? I have my phone light." A flashlight, like a knife, comes in surprisingly handy, more than one would think. I personally prefer a handheld over a WML. Do you have a light on you right now? What light do you prefer?

https://loadoutroom.com/24944/streamlight-protac-1l-1aa-review/

·
Registered
552 Posts
Fenix PD35 1000 Lumen 1x 18650 Li/Ion rechargeable. $75 on Amazon, Been carrying it for over a year now. Its a really tough light.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/pd35-tactical-edition-fenix-flashlight/

Stealth Gear makes a IWB moduler double mag pouch that comes with an extra flashlight holder you can use in place of one of the mag holders. It fits any light with a 1 inch (give or take an /18 ") diameter barrel body. It works very well. SG makes a dedicated flashlight carrier as well I think. Of course, now, most Kydex holster makers offer this now.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
I carry 2, a Streamlight microstream and a Streamlight Protac 2L. I also carry a 5 pack of spare AAA batteries and a 2 pack of CR123A batteries in special containers.

The Protac puts out 350 lumens on high, 30 lumens on low, and has a strobe that can be very disorienting from either end of the flashlight. Runtime is 3.25 hours on high and 35 hours on low.

I carry a light because of a situation in San Francisco in 1998. The entire city went dark for a few hours and I was on a BART subway train 100 feet below the ground. I had a Maglite that day but it was pure luck as I never carried a flashlight before this. I just happened to have a need for one on the job I was doing in the City that day.

I took around 25 people out of the BART car and up to daylight that day because virtually no one had a flashlight.

Last year, I was in a Hotel in Hawaii when the power went off in the whole hotel. It was a little after 5AM and completely dark. I whipped out one of my flashlights, set the other up as a reflector whole room illuminator and carried on. Power came back on 45 minutes later.

Yes, smartphones all have built in flashlights, but I'm in the habit of carrying the two others also.

I don't use the flashlights often enough for the cost of batteries to be a factor in any way.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Currently, my EDC is the Olight S30R II Baton. Its max output is around 1,000 lumens which is about what I need during night time walks, as we are in a dark wooded area here. Also, its rechargeable - which is a must-have for me, since I use it everyday. I think is usually retails at $75. I got it during the holiday sales for $50.

I also like the Rayovac Indestructible 250 Lumen LED Flashlight at about $15, because I can beat it up and not worry at all. I think it runs on three AAAs, which tends to last a good while.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I should add that I chose the PD35 mainly because of the rechargeable batteries. I use mine on almost a daily basis for work and I got tired of buying primary batteries and hoping they had some life left in them from last time when I needed it. I just pull the battery and put in on the charger overnight every 2 or 3 days of continuous use.

If I only used it on rare occasions or only for emergencies I would prefer a primary battery like an AAs, AAAs, or CR-123. They have a longer standby life.
However, The Fenix can use either a rechargeable 18650 or 2 standard CR-123s.

I've seen some very good reviews on the Olight too. Battery junction sent me a notice about pre-oders on a new Olight model just coming out.

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've seen some very good reviews on the Olight too. Battery junction sent me a notice about pre-oders on a new Olight model just coming out.
Awesome. Do you recall which model? I have been waiting for their new models to hit the market for months now. Ever since they showed off at shot show.

Eventually, I will get one of these for my EDC. Super small package with 900 lumens is pretty great. Just waiting on a better price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fl_title_22?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38GBW24HDG5AI

·
Registered
552 Posts
Awesome. Do you recall which model? I have been waiting for their new models to hit the market for months now. Ever since they showed off at shot show.

Eventually, I will get one of these for my EDC. Super small package with 900 lumens is pretty great. Just waiting on a better price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fl_title_22?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38GBW24HDG5AI
Well actually it is a WML not EDC. My bad. But here it is...
Olight PL-2 Valkyrie LED Weapon Light | 1200 Lumen

·
Registered
115 Posts
Surefire G2X Tactical (the one with only one brightness setting, not the dual high/low options) carried vertically in my back left pocket. I carry my wallet in the same pocket, and there's just enough space for the light to fit snugly on the left side of the pocket, which puts it far enough to the side that I'm not sitting on it. Secure, but easy enough to take out when needed.

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Olight M-22 here; for about the last three years.

-steve

Reactions: CA Patriot

·
Registered
89 Posts
Currently just a Nitecore MT-06 penlight that gets the job done pretty well for my job (I work with datacenter UPSs so I often need something tiny to see what I'm doing). I carry an extra 8 pack of AAAs in my EDC backpack. This light usually stays in my work shirt pocket, as I have had it turn on in my pants pocket more than once and heat up pretty bad. I have been looking for something larger however for a regular carry flashlight; my girlfriend carrys a Nitecore P05 because they have a pink version, but I have been considering the normal (black) version, or the larger P10GT, for myself due to the basicness and the insta-strobe mode.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
I've also been in a Wally World, all the way in the back, when they had a power failure and their emergency lighting didn't work.

Gets pretty dark. That's what it took for Mrs. Flash to start carrying a flashlight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recommend any 18650 sized flashlight that fits your other requirements. The reason is that a light sized around the 18650 battery is a great size (for most people) to also use as an improvised impact weapon. In a non-permissive environment situation (corporate work environment, library, post office, schools, court room, hospital/ER security, etc.), having a flashlight always on you (and knowing how to use it) is better than empty hands.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
I recommend any 18650 sized flashlight that fits your other requirements. The reason is that a light sized around the 18650 battery is a great size (for most people) to also use as an improvised impact weapon. In a non-permissive environment situation (corporate work environment, library, post office, schools, court room, hospital/ER security, etc.), having a flashlight always on you (and knowing how to use it) is better than empty hands.
Look into Kubaton training for this.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.